Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Kitten, so many questions!

Deann

Lairian
Hi everyone!
My name is Deann and I'm a new mommy to Krypton, an amazing itty bitty sphinx kitty that my boyfriend has just gotten me.
I have wanted a hairless cat for YEARS and I have studied every website I can find to learn everything possible about them. My boyfriend, in attempts to do something very kind, got me this little kitty from a breeder one state over. Sadly, my boyfriend not being as prepared as I would have been, didn't exactly check into the breeder or anything like that. HOWEVER, Krypton has had his first set of shots and came with a one year health guarantee.. That being said, Krypton is about 9 weeks old (I KNOW, I KNOW, SO YOUNG!), but he is mine and I will do all in my power to make sure he is okay!
I just wanted to check in to see if he is behaving "normally" so to speak..
I work a typical 9-5 job and all of my other free time has been spent with him. He has been with me about 5 days.. He is very vocal and cries when I am not around, but when I am around, all he wants to do is cuddle up with me, and then sleep. He doesn't play with anything at all, he just loves to follow me around and hide under my blankets to sleep.
I have him on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten food and he seems to love it, although he has been having diarrhea since day one.
I have a vet visit scheduled this weekend to check him out, but I am asking due to the fact that everything I have ever read suggests that they are a very hyper and actively playful breed. I am praying nothing is wrong with him and he's just a very calm little man, but can anyone offer some insight?

Attachments

• IMG_20161111_202015.jpg
    IMG_20161111_202015.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 84

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on the new addition, and you have some valid concerns. Mine came home at 12 weeks and still cried out for me if theyou couldn't see me - I remember having to tuck her in a zip up sweater just to be able to do chores. She was also very snuggly, and needed to have someone cuddle her after every meal. So that isn't unusual. Try different types of toys. At that age, they would mostly be used to playing with littermates. Take a poop sample to the vet and ask for a PCR test to rule out parasites. Let the vet know the situation - they will be able to help you with what will have to be done for worming and vaccines. You can also talk about a plan for neutering in the future. A vet will most likely recommend one of the foods they sell in their clinic. Do your research and see what is the best food that you can feed for your budget. As you have probably come across in your research, these guys have notoriously sensitive tummies that can result in loose and stinky bowel movements. Keep us posted!

Deann

Lairian
Congrats on the new addition, and you have some valid concerns. Mine came home at 12 weeks and still cried out for me if theyou couldn't see me - I remember having to tuck her in a zip up sweater just to be able to do chores. She was also very snuggly, and needed to have someone cuddle her after every meal. So that isn't unusual. Try different types of toys. At that age, they would mostly be used to playing with littermates. Take a poop sample to the vet and ask for a PCR test to rule out parasites. Let the vet know the situation - they will be able to help you with what will have to be done for worming and vaccines. You can also talk about a plan for neutering in the future. A vet will most likely recommend one of the foods they sell in their clinic. Do your research and see what is the best food that you can feed for your budget. As you have probably come across in your research, these guys have notoriously sensitive tummies that can result in loose and stinky bowel movements. Keep us posted!

Thanks so much! Yes, I keep him in my sweater just so I can do dishes lol. I cuddle with him literally all the time as much as I possibly can. I have an assortment of toys and just ordered a large cat condo for him to play in/hide in/and scratch so I'm hoping that will help him a bit. He has a paper with all the vaccines he has already gotten so we are good there, but I would like to bring him to a vet for my own piece of mind to be honest. I will be taking a poop sample as well, thank you for that advice! I plan on having him fixed around 6mths old (unless my vert suggests otherwise) because everything I have read suggests that is best.
As far as his food, I am not sure if that is causing his runny poops or maybe it is the stress of being alone while i'm gone..or a combination of the two. From what I've read blue buffalo wilderness kitten is good, but maybe I should look into raw. Sadly, I'm not sure what he was eating before. I've contacted the breeder and I'm waiting to hear back. I will keep everyone updated!

Last edited:

kitty41h

Lairian
Mine came home and on the very first day had a upper respiratory infection. I was so nervous he was so tiny. (His name was Deacon but we now call him Tiny) He got better after antibiotics but slept so much those first few weeks like the first three! I thought something was wrong too. Nope he was just growing and was like newborn. Sleep eat grow. Now he is very playful and active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Deann

Lairian
Mine came home and on the very first day had a upper respiratory infection. I was so nervous he was so tiny. (His name was Deacon but we now call him Tiny) He got better after antibiotics but slept so much those first few weeks like the first three! I thought something was wrong too. Nope he was just growing and was like newborn. Sleep eat grow. Now he is very playful and active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk
Ugh! THANK YOU! That is so so sooo refreshing to hear! Most people I have spoken with insist that they will be very playful and energetic but that just isn't the case with my baby. He sleeps, wakes up, eats, poops, and back to sleep! LOL. I'm so happy I'm not the only one!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Deann assuming your baby was cleared for parasites. I know many Sphynx have had issues with Blue Buffalo Wilderness and other high protein foods being too rich and causing loose poop (we had same problem.) What food was your breeder using? You might go back to that and then slowly change over to a new food later. If you continue to have issues get your baby checked for Giardia. Many get tested and it comes back a false negative. Also the trick of adding of adding a tablespoon of pure pumpkin to their wet food morning and night help to firm poop. Be sure it is not pumpkin pie filling.

c7a82ae08c635b217dc380c812f26cb7.jpg

Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia)

Patti

Deann

Lairian
@Deann assuming your baby was cleared for parasites. I know many Sphynx have had issues with Blue Buffalo Wilderness and other high protein foods being too rich and causing loose poop (we had same problem.) What food was your breeder using? You might go back to that and then slowly change over to a new food later. If you continue to have issues get your baby checked for Giardia. Many get tested and it comes back a false negative. Also the trick of adding of adding a tablespoon of pure pumpkin to their wet food morning and night help to firm poop. Be sure it is not pumpkin pie filling.

c7a82ae08c635b217dc380c812f26cb7.jpg

Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia)

Patti
Great! Thank you so much! My boyfriend did bring me home a can of the previous food the breeder was using but I was HORRIFIED by some of the ingredients. I could not bring myself to buy it again, plus, I am not sure where they got the food because it is a Japanese brand. I will certainly be trying the Pumpkin.
Do you recommend a better brand than the blue buffalo wilderness?
Thanks again!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We used the Wellness brand when the girls were kittens as it is grain free. We recently switched our girls from wellness to a prescription food because our 1 girl got crystals and it is too hard for us with our lifestyle of likening to travel etc to feed them 2 different foods. Our vet said best we go with the one. We are getting a kitten at the end of the year and we will most likely use Wellness for him as we know kittens need more protein etc. With any food, you have to see how their tummy does. It can take up to 2 weeks for their tummy to get used to the new food...but being as he is so young, I personally would stay with the food the breeder had him on until he is over 12 weeks. Right now you literally are his cat Mommy and they he is still fragile. Go with what works and will not dehydrate him. You can switch things later after he has grown more and his immune system and body are a bit stronger. The pumpkin will hopefully help.

You will find food is one of those hot topics everyone swears theirs is the best...lol. The best rule of thumb is buy the best quality food that your baby will like and tolerate @Deann

Patti

Deann

Lairian
We used the Wellness brand when the girls were kittens as it is grain free. We recently switched our girls from wellness to a prescription food because our 1 girl got crystals and it is too hard for us with our lifestyle of likening to travel etc to feed them 2 different foods. Our vet said best we go with the one. We are getting a kitten at the end of the year and we will most likely use Wellness for him as we know kittens need more protein etc. With any food, you have to see how their tummy does. It can take up to 2 weeks for their tummy to get used to the new food...but being as he is so young, I personally would stay with the food the breeder had him on until he is over 12 weeks. Right now you literally are his cat Mommy and they he is still fragile. Go with what works and will not dehydrate him. You can switch things later after he has grown more and his immune system and body are a bit stronger. The pumpkin will hopefully help.

You will find food is one of those hot topics everyone swears theirs is the best...lol. The best rule of thumb is buy the best quality food that your baby will like and tolerate @Deann

Patti
Thanks Patti! I'm running to the store immediately after work to get some pumpkin to see if that will help my little love bug. Then to the vet this weekend just to see if he has anything to add or any suggestions for me.
Since he is so little, I am hoping he is just adjusting to everything and needs a little time to come out of his shell so to speak.

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't think my babies have been super playful when I first got them - I think they still need a few weeks to get used to the place and you and do some more growing before they turn into little gremlins. They were both also super clingy and whiny when I got them, as they got more comfortable and playful they're a bit less clingy in that helpless baby way but still attached :) I have heard of someone really not recomending Blue Buffalo here but not familiar with it myself, but with runny poop I'd try something different, I usually go by the ingredients checking for a specific protein listed as first and no rice, corn, soy, etc. and then you can look for reviews/ recalls the company has had online. I'm sure someone from your area has more specific recommendations. I've done Applaws/Aatu for dry and Applaws/Carny for wet with good results but not sure if they're available there

Deann

Lairian
I don't think my babies have been super playful when I first got them - I think they still need a few weeks to get used to the place and you and do some more growing before they turn into little gremlins. They were both also super clingy and whiny when I got them, as they got more comfortable and playful they're a bit less clingy in that helpless baby way but still attached :) I have heard of someone really not recomending Blue Buffalo here but not familiar with it myself, but with runny poop I'd try something different, I usually go by the ingredients checking for a specific protein listed as first and no rice, corn, soy, etc. and then you can look for reviews/ recalls the company has had online. I'm sure someone from your area has more specific recommendations. I've done Applaws/Aatu for dry and Applaws/Carny for wet with good results but not sure if they're available there
Thank you so much! that's wonderful to hear!
Most reviews and people i see recommend blue buffalo or royal canin. ideally I'd like him to be on a raw diet but i was advised to wait until he's older for that. hopefully the vet can provide some insight as well

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Royal canin is popular but ingridients wise not high quality, several members have also had bloody/runny poop with it :) I gave my babies raw food since I got them with no problems, they love it and it fixed up poop issues right away - prefer it over any other food. The one I adopted at one year I was never able to transition into it properly because he's too used to kibble/commercial food :)

Martinajhb

Lairian
Hi, I cook for Lagertha chicken, pumpkin and bit of potatoes, she loves it, her poop is good and not so smelly. And it freezes well too. I try to change it with mince and chicken hearts with giblets but then she is dragging the insides all over the floor :eek: and dances around it, it's very entertaining but messy. She is not fan of dry food, and I have noticed her ears are not that dirty since we switched from wet comercial food to home cooked.

Rara22

Lairian
I have had the same problems with my baby girl Nefertiti. I have found that "science diet kitten food" and "earthworm kitten food" to be very good for less smelly poop and more solid poop. I had my 3 sphynx on blue buffalo and it seemed to cause a lot of those issues. The "royal canin" worked better for them also, but I had heard it wasn't as good for them. I hope you can get it resolved, I understand how scary it can be when your babies are not perfectly healthy. How long ago was your kitten vaccinated? Mine had a bad reaction to them and was horribly sick for almost 3 months.

Buterfly54

Lairian
Hello, I had the same exact issue as you!! It has bee such a struggle also with a new environment it's probably not helping the little guy out. I have two of them 6 months old. I also tried the food you are giving them but it gave them loose stool. I now give them Canidae it also has probiotics in the food. They love it and I also add organic pumpkin purée make sure it's organic because I tried the regular one and the organic did the trick. My lil guys got diagnosed with Giardia and it's was horrible, I did so much research and finally what I've been doing so far has worked like a charm. I also give my lil ones alkaline water and it's helped immensely. You can email me directly [email protected] and I can tell you what worked for me. I'm not a doctor but sometimes the vet doesn't even know what to do for your lil love bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back