Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New kitten

SJAlfie

Lairian
Hi guys! I brought home sweet 12 week old Alfred yesterday, and he has been very scared since getting home. We have him in our closed off room for now, lots of cozy heated blankets around and litter box with litter mixed from his litter box from owners. He has water and food out. He has been very shy, hiding under the bed. When I get him out and wrapped in a warm blanket he purrs and snuggles, but runs back under the bed at every chance! He hasn’t eaten or used the litter box since coming home at 5pm last night… should I be concerned?? Any tips for helping him feel comfortable enough to come out to eat and use his litter? I put little bowls under the bed to see if he would use them there, but no luck so far!
He is the sweetest little guy, and I have him booked for his wellness check up this week! Just not sure if I should be concerned… this is our first sphynx!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
How exciting. It is very normal for them to be very nervous when going to their forever home. Their whole world has been turned upside down and the separation from Mom and littermates is hard. Also not using the litter box for a day or 2 is common. Best thing you can do is exactly what you are doing, swaddle him in a warm blanket and help him bond with you and gain confidence in his new surrounding in a confined area first. Once he gets used to the room he is in and seems calmer in a few days, swaddle and walk around the house carrying him so he can see his big new world while feeling secure in your arms. @SJAlfie hope to see pics and updates.

SJAlfie

Lairian
How exciting. It is very normal for them to be very nervous when going to their forever home. Their whole world has been turned upside down and the separation from Mom and littermates is hard. Also not using the litter box for a day or 2 is common. Best thing you can do is exactly what you are doing, swaddle him in a warm blanket and help him bond with you and gain confidence in his new surrounding in a confined area first. Once he gets used to the room he is in and seems calmer in a few days, swaddle and walk around the house carrying him so he can see his big new world while feeling secure in your arms. @SJAlfie hope to see pics and updates.
Thank you thank you for easing my new kitten jitters! Alfred came out this afternoon to finally use the litter box and eat some food and rubbed against me, so I am feeling relieved already!!

Attachments

• 10753C41-4683-404A-A5C2-9E4A4028C354.jpeg
    10753C41-4683-404A-A5C2-9E4A4028C354.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 18

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@SJAlfie awesome, now you can stress less! What a beautiful baby! I hope you remain active in the community and share pics often.

nudebea

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Alfred looks like such a little darling! Just give it time and be patient . Gentle introductions to new sights and smells and allowing him his own pace . Im sure before you know it he will be a huge hairless presence in the household ! xx

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SJAlfie , happy Alfred gotcha. what a cutie! welcome to the lair family! its a big new world for him. sounds like wonderful progress already! keep doing what you are doing... look forward to lots of pics and tales! hugs n head smooches. keep us updated!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations! What an adorable little peanut he is. And so handsome. Glad to read he alreay ate a little and used the litterbox. He just needs some time to get used to his new home and new humans. It's great you take him on your lap wrapped in a blanket. He will be glued to you in no time;-)

SJAlfie

Lairian
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!
Alfi is settling is so quickly, hard to imagine just a few days ago I was worried he wouldn’t snuggle… now we’re attached at the hip (and hand,lap,tummy, etc lol). You were all right in just giving him time and love and space to come around ❤️

Attachments

• 5C7A898D-7A98-4719-B2C8-C9F5BF7CCC57.jpeg
    5C7A898D-7A98-4719-B2C8-C9F5BF7CCC57.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 14