Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New kitty, first full day in my place!

Catstuff

Lairian
Baldwin is finally home. He's acclimating really well, eating, playing and exploring . He is however not using his litter box. I am using the same wood pellets the breeder was. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks also how do I go about kitten proofing.
20161114_093124.jpg
20161113_213249.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Happy gotcha day! Baldwin is adorable. He seems to feel at home with playing and cuddling with mommy.

It can take a whilebefore Baldwin feels at home enough to use the litterbox. Sometimes it takes 24 hours. Did you show him the litterbox? And isn't he peeing/pooping on another place then the litterbox?

Best way to kitten proof your house is to crawl on the ground like a snake:). This way you'll see all the dangerous thing Baldwin meets on his way. Or just follow him to see what he's trying to play with.

Natasja

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catstuff , Happy Baldwin gotcha!
Here is a good link
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

is the box in a quiet place , same style box he used before ?
He is peeing pooing or both outside box?
did you have a gotcha vet check ? (You can ask to rule out a urinary tract infection ?
tell tale sign is in and out of box with little or no pee output)

Is he free roaming and just hasn't learned where box is or door get accidentally closed to litter box area?
You can set up a kitty room with the box so he gets the sly of the land before full free roaming
Or add another box elsewhere
Give him praise and a kibble treat when he comes our of the box

Some members have success kitty attract litter products

As for kitty proofing - look at your home for anything Baldwin may have fun chewing or knocking over
Wires , China , etc
**watch hot flat stove tops and heat register floor vents too
I put kitties in my bedroom when I cook and have used floor deflector covers

Catstuff

Lairian
Here is a good link

did you have a gotcha vet check ? (You can ask to rule out a urinary tract infection ?

Is he free roaming and just hasn't learned where box is or door get accidentally closed to litter box area?
You can set up a kitty room with the box so he gets the sly of the land before full free roaming

As for kitty proofing - look at your home for anything Baldwin may have fun chewing or knocking over
Wires , China , etc
His appt. For the check up is today!
He is peeing and pooping outside of the box..
Happy gotcha day! Baldwin is adorable. He seems to feel at home with playing and cuddling with mommy.

It can take a whilebefore Baldwin feels at home enough to use the litterbox. Sometimes it takes 24 hours. Did you show him the litterbox? And isn't he peeing/pooping on another place then the litterbox?

Best way to kitten proof your house is to crawl on the ground like a snake:). This way you'll see all the dangerous thing Baldwin meets on his way. Or just follow him to see what he's trying to play with.

Natasja
Thank you! I put another box out. I've shown him both!

Catstuff

Lairian

Natasja
Thank you!

Catstuff

Lairian
Here is a good link

Wires , China , etc
He is free roaming, I've shown him where there box is, my apartment is a one bedroom so there's that room and the living space separated. I added another box for now in both rooms.... Crossing my fingers. When I have to leave I'm going to confuse him to one room
. Thankfully I'm off both today and tomorrow.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
If he poops outside of the box again, put it in the litter box in hopes it helps guide him where to go.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What a Handsome little Gentleman, he is. Congrats.
I would also advise you use a enzyme cleaner,
If you don't he will continue using the same places.
You can get them at petsmart or petco.
Here is a highly recommended one.
1343122-center-1.jpg

Catstuff

Lairian
Here is a good link

Wires , China , etc
So he or free roams when I'm at home. Today I had to get an oil change and grocery shopping so I set him up in my bed room with his box on one end and food on the other and lots of toys out. When we woke up I showed him the box and put his paws in it. When he is free roaming I have another box in my living room. So far I've found 2 turds not in the box and he eats quite a bit so I'm not sure what else I can do but wait. His vet appointment yesterday went great! He's got a bit of a upper respiratory virus but other than these things he's adjusting well. What do you think about my set up?