Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New member saying hi!!

41Mets

Lairian
Hi all! This is my first post I am just coming back from meeting my first sphynx cats today.

A little background about me ... I grew up with dogs my whole life and I really love them. However, as a single person, my schedule does not allow me to be home to take the dog out in the middle of the day and that has kept me from taking the plunge. I have never, though, been a cat person. Some of it is that I didn't love the independence or the way that cats tend to distance themselves, or at least that was my experience with a lot of friends cats. I also am slightly allergic, not enough to make me not capable of functioning, but enough that, as a singer and a voice teacher, I recognize that something is going on.

I recently started looking into hypoallergenic cats when a friend of mine, and opera singer, had mentioned something about her Bengal cat being hypoallergenic. So I've done some research and I recognize that there is no such thing as technically a completely hypoallergenic cat, but a Sphynx is one that pops up on those lists. On top of that, some of the cats that pop up on to the list, including Bengals and Siberians, tend to display personalities and temperaments that enjoy one on one company with their owner.

So I guess I'm hoping you can shed some light on the breed, maybe let me know what I'd be getting myself into and what to expect with a sphinx, even tidbits on if there's any special way I should set up my apartment to be cat proof, or any other suggestions you may have!

Thanks in advance!!

Jay
da06d1b5dfb0097ee51008f9aca0d0b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@41Mets , welcome to the lair family! So glad you got to meet Sphynx cats today! They are truly amazing! A lot of folks with allergies visit amd see if they have a reaction since technically they are not hypoallergenic )

So glad you joined us! The help center has Sooo many great threads to prep for Sphynx Life ..
I have had bengals for 30 years .. And to be honest I believe there may be less chances of allergic reaction to Sphynx - everyone is different so omly you will know .

The Bengal and Sphynx have different personalities too . I think the Bengal is more typical "cat"like amd they are known to be vocal - guttersl vocal loud amd some end up rehomed.

The sphnyx are often described as monkey cat dog baby all in one .
Several members have allergies and can chime in .

If you are a dog person - the Sphynx is the cat for you :)

We have several cat daddy members :)

Happy you joined us! Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch !

Check out the help center with great info

Yoda mom

Staff member
@41Mets , here is a good link

Ps - you look very happy holding that adorable Sphynx !

Oh you will need to kitty proof for life ! They are Velcro kitties and get into everthing !
And are total bed hogs like little hot water bottles :)
Many play fetch too! Some are chatter boxes amd will have a whole conversation :)

Kudos to you for doing your research for a lifetime purrfect fit

41Mets

Lairian
@41Mets , here is a good link

Ps - you look very happy holding that adorable Sphynx !

Oh you will need to kitty proof for life ! They are Velcro kitties and get into everthing !
And are total bed hogs like little hot water bottles :)
Many play fetch too! Some are chatter boxes amd will have a whole conversation :)

Kudos to you for doing your research for a lifetime purrfect fit
By the way, is your cat's name Yoda? I hadn't even thought about that, but it would be a perfect name for a sphynx!!

I guess I'm most interested as to whether or not cats are going to start chewing wires and whether I need to cover wires and cover the space behind the TV cabinet or if they tend to stay away from those things.

And thanks for your responses and for the info!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Yes my first Sphynx avatar pic was named Yoda ( she passed at age 2 thrombosis embolism )
I adopted in her honor and ended up with 4 adoptees ! As fate would have it she sent me a Yoda boy to adopt . It was strange at first using his call name but I figured she wanted it that way

Lol ooooh yes you will need to kitty proof wires ! Heck mine jump on top of my flat screen tv in the bedroom! They are know to knock off breakables from shelves , eat string yarn etc
Sit on warm cable boxes , hide in dryers , stealth fast underfoot amd try to go out doors to right alomg with you like a dog ! I alway have to look down at my feet as to not trip!
Some are food thrives too!

They are active but also have their total cuddle time

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@41Mets welcome to sphynxlair!
What do we need to say more about sphynx whwn we see the glimmers of love and happiness in your eyes while holding that sphynx?:). I think your sold to the breed already.

I was a dog person too. I liked cats but I thought they were too independent. Then I met the sphynx....1/4 cat, 1/4 dog, 1/4 baby, 1/4 monkey. The perfect combination.
I love their high energylevel, the way they love to play, the cuddles and bond you get with them.

Is the sphynx you're holding the sphynx you plan to get?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. You came to the perfect community to research and learn what it is really like to live with this amazing breed. This forum is full of newbies and experienced owners so it is a very comfortable place to ask questions.

I saw you say you just visited your first Sphynx. Did you visit a breed or a home of someone you found out had one? So glad you are researching. So what was your first interaction like ?

The link @Yoda mom provide in the help center is an awesome place to read up on. Great info on what to look for in a breeder, to how to avoid being scammed. Trust me when I say when your first Sphynx walks into your heart/ home your life changed forever.

@mets41 are you by chance a New Yorker/NJ with your name you picked lol?

41Mets

Lairian
Hi all and thanks!
The sphynx I'm holding was a breeders at her house. She doesn't have any kittens right now but I wanted to meet one to see them in person and get a sense of personality.

I can't access the link with info. Says I don't have enough permissions?

I'm a huge Mets fan, but I'm in NJ.

StacyD

Lairian
Ace does not chew wires. But he loves ribbon & receipts which make him vomit. So we must put away or throw away receipts as soon as we come home. He also loves to lay on our warm cable box. He's a bit of trouble too. He will knock over any plastic glass just to spill it's contents, and water bottles without the caps on too. And we had to change our door knobs (which were a lever style) to the round ones because he could jump and hang on the handle and push or pull open any door, including our pantry door and the door going out to the garage.

I too am allergic to cats. For months Ace did not bother me, then my eyes started to swell & my throat started to itch. I now take a prescription allergy med called Singulair and an over the counter allergy med called Zyrtec daily. I also don't let him in my room at night. He sleeps in my daughters room under her covers. I also bought a room purifier ( it was about $130 and about 2.5 feet high by 1.5 feet wide) and keep that in my living room.

41Mets

Lairian
Does anyone have any recommendations for breeders in the New Jersey area? There are a few that I've come across in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. The breeder I visited was in Bangor Pennsylvania. There's a breeder in South Jersey who seems to be the most expensive. Then there's somebody who's in Central Jersey.

Prices
$1800

$1600
she's the one I visited and the picture that I have with the Sphynx is her pet

$1200 for a 6 month old girl

Amazingly, I am trying to post an image of the kitten from the last breeder, but it is not letting me post it because it says it's an adult image. Is it that hard to post a picture of a naked cat?! :)

d7ba1098b603b59378399ea87569cf15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@41Mets Good morning! That was a very nice introduction. I hope you find the companion you are looking for.

We are first time sphynx people also, our girl Cleo adopted us about a year and a half ago and what an amazing journey this has been. Cleo is half puppy and half hot water bottle.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@41Mets , sorry I had to edit out specific breeder catteries in your post with prices

We can't post specific names on threads but can PM

I do believe one you listed @Catzzzmeow has amazing kitties :)from
so definitely PM her to confirm for a recommendation

Sorry you had problems with help center link I attached

*Please go to the home page and you can access the help center on the top right or
Click on the forums tab on the left amd scroll down to the help center and other cool topics

Let me know if it works

Look forward to updates :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
That’s so cool that you got to visit a Sphynx to make sure your allergies were ok! I was considering a Bengal years ago and a kind breeder let me do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back