Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

So glad to find this site this evening. My daughter (18) and I are about to become the new "mom" and "grandmom" to a little female Sphynx. I have a question as this will be our first kitten. We were supposed to pick up our new baby this weekend. I got an email from the breeder on Monday that Stella has an eye infection. The breeder took her to the vet Tuesday who did an eye stain and found no ulcer or scratch. She believes it is conjunctivitis. I spoke with the vet and she thinks it's best to wait at least two more weeks while Stella is being treated before taking her. My sister works for a vet and her vet does NOT want us to accept this kitten. We have 2 days to have her checked and this vet my sister works for is telling me she will not sign off that she is a healthy kitten. Meanwhile I have already given the breeder a non-refundable $500 deposit and I don't know what to do......:Cry:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair! Do you have any other kitties? If you do and your new kitten has conjunctivitus then she could give it to your other cats. If you get her anyway and you have other cats then be sure to quarentine her for 14 days to ensure no other illnesses are laying dormant or just haven't flared yet.

I would wait to receive the kitten until her eye is healed up and then take her to your vet within 2 or 3 days of receiving her or whatever your contract may state. Is your breeder shipping the kitten or are you picking her up?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The deposit seems high.
I sure hope it is not the breeder that is known for having sick cats with eye problems.
Welcome to the site.

New at this you can tell! LOL No, we don't have any other kittens. She will be our first. We have been so excited but after other's telling us we should not be taking this kitten because she's not healthy we are sad and confused now. I guess I'm just wondering if this is a common problem with kittens and not something to freak out about?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
The random eye issue can happen. Have you asked her for references from previous buyers on her kittens so you can call them and talk to them?

No. She did give me her vets name and number and I was able to call and speak to her about the kitten. This vet spoke very highly about the breeder but she can't guarantee that this isn't a chronic eye condition such as herpes.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
No. She did give me her vets name and number and I was able to call and speak to her about the kitten. This vet spoke very highly about the breeder but she can't guarantee that this isn't a chronic eye condition such as herpes.

I would defintley ask the breeder about references from other buyers. Herpes isn't the end of the world for a kitty as long as you take good care of them and don't let their flare ups get out of control. Any type of stress for your kitty can enduce a flare up, even someone they haven't met before can cause it if you have a rare friend come over or what not. Always ensure to keep some money aside (couple hundred just incase) for the vet visits that come up unexpectedly when they have a flare up if you don't have meds on hand. My Snuffie has herpes and she does fine. From time to time I'll notice her eye winking at me and I give her some meds and she is on daily L-Lysine (a supplement you can get from Walmart or GNC) to help boost her immune system and I find it helps keep the flare ups down.

Can you PM your breeders info to me. Does she have a website? If so can you send me that as well? We can't post links about breeders on the open forum so be sure to PM them to me. Thanks.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is the deposit non refundable even if the kitty does not pass a vet exam? Are you dead set on this particular kitten? I think a good breeder would offer a replacement kitten, or a discount on this baby. It does seem as if she is concerned as she doesn't want to let her go right now. A lot of cats here have herpes, it is not a death sentence, and is very manageable, as christina said. If your heart is set on this baby in particular, maybe your breeder will work with you on the price? Perhaps your sister's vet can call the breeder's vet and get the real scoop for you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you and your kitty the best and hope to hear good things and see many pictures very soon!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
First Welcome to the lair!

Is your baby registered tica or cfa? If you do decide to take her I would def. ask for a discount! I hope things work out! Keep us posted! I would love to know who breeder is too:Wink:

Yes, refund is nonrefundable even if she doesn't pass the health check with my vet. The contract does say that we can ask for another kitten. Maybe that is what we should do. It could be nothing but then again it might turn out to be a life time problem. She has not offered to lower price which my vet did say she should do if we agree to take her. I have a couple weeks to think on this. Thanks for your reply!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I don't even know what tica or cfa means????

TICA = The International Cat Association (the world's largest genetic registry of pedigreed cats)
CFA = Cat Fanciers Assoc. (An informative insight into the world of pedigreed cats - with breeder search, breed profiles, top cat photos, cat show schedule, health articles0

Your breeder is listed on the FBRL (Fanciers Breeder Referral list).

And on that link she states your kitten comes registered to both TICA and CFA.

Breeder's Statement: "Edited" Sphynx is your home for hairless cats in South Florida. We have CFA and TICA champions and specialize in blue-eyed show quality cats and kittens. We have all colors from white to tortoiseshell. Our kittens come with all vaccinations, health certificate, neuter/spay, registration papers for both TICA and CFA, copy of pedigree, and one-year guarantee for genetic defects, plus the support of our home-based cattery. We raise our kittens underfoot, and they are extremely loving! We will provide breeding rights outside the state of Florida.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
TICA and CFA are where you register cats and show them.
If she is not registered that is very bad.
When you by a cat/kitten from a breeder you should get a blue slip that is either TICA or CFA.

J

Jinxlover

First, let me say Welcome!!!

Yes, refund is nonrefundable even if she doesn't pass the health check with my vet.

Second, WOW that's not good. ALL deposits should be refundable if your kitty does not pass the health check!!!

No she is not going to offer a lesser price, she has you over a barrel. You take a sick kitten or you lose $500. I'm sorry, Good luck.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Just to add my personal opinion:

I think the breeder needs to determine if this is a temporary eye issue or if it is indeed Herpes. If only temporary then I'd wait for the kitties eye to heal and receive her when she is better. If it is Herpes I would ask her kindly to come down on price just a tad and you can set that additional money aside for future care of your kitty.

With her deposit being non refundable I would go ahead and take her regardless of the eye issue and suck it up if she won't come down on price. I don't know about you but I know I can't afford to throw away $500 these days. With your heart already set on her I would just go for it. I knew Snuffie had herpes when I got her. Thankfully my breeder was upfront with me but I didn't find Snuffie until she was 8 mths old so she had alot longer time to be exposed to it. (She got it at a catshow when she was 6 mths old) Anyhow I've had a few cats in the past that had it and knew I could handle it so I jumped on it. It really is manageable and not the end of the world. Its just something you need to be aware of and learn the signs of flare ups and how to treat it. Success with Herpes is determined with your reaction to it. Its not something you can let go untreated at any time. It can cause permanent damage if untreated for any period of time. Which I why I recommend always having extra cash onhand incase you find yourself out of meds with a sick kitty. I have a emergency savings account for Snuffie just incase. I also use this account for any vet visits or items she may need like more L-Lysine or ear cleaner since I order it online. She is my first Sphynx and with her breed I know she can fall sick and I want to make sure I have money set aside for her. I'm not a wealthy person by no means so knowing I have that for her as back up gives me peace of mind. I'm rambeling but hope it helps,,,goodluck with your breeder.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Ok I know who the breeder is now.
Let me ask some friends/breeders in florida what they think of her.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She rushed into getting a sphynx like many people do the first time.
I am waiting to here some answers.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi BoStellazombie and welcome to Sphynxlair! Im so sorry you are having a rough time with this when it should be a happy and exciting time. If this kitten has a virus like herpes and you accept the kitten, you should be given a large discount as long as your willing to even accept this kitten! If a kitten has herpes or any other non curable disease and you choose not to accept the kitten your refund should be given back in good faith, if not that is a horrible breeder! And I myself would be sure everyone on the internet knows! My recommendation would be to wait until the breeder and their vet say the kitten is okay and then follow the contract to the "T" as far as the grace period of taking the kitten to your vet and have your vet determine if the cat has feline herpes or any other sickness. Then if so, deal accordingly with the breeder. Just read your contract thoroughly. Good luck with your new kitten and keep us posted! Could you please PM me the breeder someone?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome BoStellazombie. As you can already see this forum is filled with a lot of friendly and knowledgable Sphynx owners.

I'm sorry to hear that the start of your sphynx adventure has been a bit bumpy. You have been given a lot of wonderful advice. I hope everything works out for you.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is a breeder that has a adult sphynx in florida and she said she will talk to you if you want.
She knows the other breeder and said she does not seem very smart.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Don't forget herpes is just one of many things it could be. They thought my cats had herpes and I got a test done and it turned out to be chlamydia. I personally would insist they test to make sure its nothing more then conjunctivitis. If they won't I would wait and get a different cat from them, or only take the cat if the price was lowered ALOT. I have spent THOUSANDS trying to get my cats over their eye issues, and would never take a cat that was showing problems.

Back