Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New New New!!

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
We pick up our sphynx on Sunday. I. Am. Excited! What are some things we should purchase or do around the house to prepare for her? I realize the sphynx is a 'special' breed, so all tips and tricks are welcome!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site.
Sphynx are great cats.
What would you like to know about them?

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
What are some things you wish you had known about when you first got your sphynx?

What kind of shampoo works best for your sphynx? What lotions?

I've seen a heated bed at the pet store...has anyone tried this? Good idea or bad?

What brand of food does your sphynx like? Wet or dry? Our breeder said she would include 2 weeks of the food she is currently on to give us time to decide what we wanted to put her on.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wish I had now about HCM before i got my first sphynx.
I wrote breeders not knowing they were bad.
The good thing is none of my cats come from the bad breeders.
I use Burts Bee's Milk and Shea Butter and Sphynx Shampoo.
I use coco not oil to clean them also.
I am afraid to try the heated beds because they may cause a fire.
My girls get N/B Duck because other foods make them sick.
Cleo can also have Chicken and Turkey.
Wrinkles can not have anything other then Duck or she will get hives all over.
Polar gets Chicken Soup for the cat lovers soul.
They also get dehydrated raw treats.
I sometimes use Wilderness also.

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
I wish I had now about HCM before i got my first sphynx.
I am afraid to try the heated beds because they may cause a fire.

Good point!

I've talked to the breeder about HCM and she said both of the kitten's parents have been tested for it. She also includes a 3 year health guarantee if for some reason something happens.

ranalashae

Banned
Congrats on your new kitty!! Sooooo exciting :ThumbsUp:

I use science diet indoor formula.
I don't use a heating bed, but just a covered one. It holds her heat in very well
Johnson's baby soap works well, tear free which is good! With coconut oil on the dirty spots.
Nala loves really soft blankets, they are spread around the house for her!

I don't know how many people have this problem, but Nala's legs got all scabbed after I brought her home. We finally figured out it was from her sitting on hard surfaces like the window, piano, dvd player... etc. Padded everything and she healed right up. Just something to keep an eye on. Good luck with everything! :Laugh:

bellasmom

Banned
Welcome to the Lair!!:ThumbsUp:

I use J&J baby shampoo and I also use coconut oil before and after bath time. I have a ear rinse I got from the vet for cleaning them out. I also just plain baby wipes for her paws and dirty butt!! I use Diamond Indoor dry food.

I do use heating pads and blankets. She loves them!!

Please, PLEASE STOP using INDOOR formulas for these cats! They contain SOY, which has been known to CAUSE Hyperthyroidism. Just because they live indoors, doesn't change their bodies. They don't need a poor quality dry food(ie: Science Diet full of fillers and corn) that has soy in it. A cat is a carnivore, they need MEAT, not corn, wheat, soy.

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
My breeder said to just be sure to put her on a high protien diet because the sphynx metabolize to create body heat, so I will be keeping that in mind.

For the lady who said she uses Sphynx for shampoo..that is a special brand for this breed of cat I'm guessing? Where did you happen to find it? I would love to look into it. I will definitely keep the J&J in mind, though!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm SO excited!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrads on your new baby.Welcome to Sphynx Lair.
I have always used J&J baby shampoo, it's great. Maybe you need to stay
on the food, the breeder has your baby on now.
If it's a good brand, which most breeder's I wouldn't think
wouldn't give their kitten's cheap food. But, you can check it out if you have any doubt's.
Ask your Vet, if you aren't sure. Also, you have to be very careful
when you change their food. You have to put like 3/4 old & 1/4 new for a few day's
then 1/2 and 1/2, then, 3/4 &1/4 then, all new. Their stomaches are easily upset
and also, could cause runny stool. Also, live house plant's are toxic and could kill them
I would suggest,if you have any get rid of them.
I would not use heating bed's, heating pads, it's to dangerous.
If you will keep throws, blankets around for the baby to get under
they will stay warm. Or let them be able to get in the bed.
Don't keep your house to cool.Anytime you have question's, there is plenty of
experienced people here who will help you. There are breeder's also,
and they will be alot of help. This is a great site, to share your stories, pictures, or whatever.
Everyone loves pics. good, silly, funny, etc.
Best wishes with your baby. :BigSmile::BigSmile:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You prepare the same as for any cat really.
They eat catfood and play with stuff in the same way. Places to warm up they find, just put out blankets and stuff for them.
Heat pads you can use but it is not needed or a must have.
Mild baby schampoos are fine and can be found anywhere.
Q-tips and baby wipes are good to have as well but for the rest it's just as any cat when it comes to things you might need for it.

Over time you will wanna get more stuff like clothes etc etc but you don't need that at home the day the cat arrives.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congratulations on your Sphynx kitty, and welcome to Sphynx Lair.

I would also consider keeping her on what she is eating a little longer than the 2 week supply the breeder gives you. Let her get fully adjusted to all the new things she is going to be exposed her in her new home first. That will give you more time to research foods and see what is available to you locally (although shipping is always an option).

Having a variety of inexpensive toys can also be helpful until you see what she likes to play with. Maybe something to bat around, something she can attack and bite on, something to chase, and something to scratch on would be a good place to start.

I know you are going to enjoy your baby. Can't wait to hear all about her homecoming.

Gizzymom

Banned
Welcome and Congrats on your new baby!!!

I feed Nature's Variety canned... but I agree with the others... going from kibble to canned is too much for a kitty's belly... I would first SLOWLY transition her to a grain free kibble such as Nature's Variety, Acana, Blue Buffalo, etc....

I love Earthbath shampoos... especially the oatmeal and aloe.

Epi-otic is GREAT for ears... but not sure if it's fine for kittens... It's been awhile since my boy was a kitten... LOL

And again.... blankies, blankies, blankies...:ThumbsUp:

Have fun!!!:Laugh:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair and congrats on your baby! I too would keep your kitty on whatever food your breeder sends you home with. This will allow her more time to adjust to her new home without having to stress over a new food. This will also give you time to do research on your own of what kind of food you want your kitty to be on as it is A LOT of homework.
The only thing I suggest to have on hand are fleece blankeys aorund the house, baby wipes, litter box and litter (find out what your breeder is using and change later if you want), kitty shampoo, I use J&J but I would ask your breeder what she uses first because your kitty will be used to it. You don't really want to change up too many things when you bring her home, so keep her on the same food, and litter and cleaning supplies until your kitty has settled. Sometimes when kitties are introduced to their new home they stress and it can cause rashs, runny stools, upset tummies, etc. You want to eliminate as many "different" factors at all until you know she is settled and passes her wellness check at the vet and then you can incorporate changes.
As far as toys, you can get a scratchy post or tree, whichever you prefer, I personally spent a lot of money on cat toys, balls, and feathers and mice and my cats would rather play with balled up newspaper so its up to you. Goodluck, I cant wait to hear all about your kitties homecoming!

Jennifer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Its so wonderful to bring home a little bundle of claws, ...I means joy.....LOL
-We use J &J hypo shampoo . I like using exfoliating gloves on Kiwi, when I wash him, its just easier then using a sponge or lufa and tring to keep him in the tub.
- I have lots of sweathers and warm fleecy blakets all the time for him especialy during winter.
- lots of "temptation" treats.
- lots of toys, fuzzy mice, empty boxes, etc. I bring my cats home a new box everyweek. They fight to sit in it and hide their toys.
- Keep the house nice and warm.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome and Congratulations! Most things are the same as regular cats. I feed a good quality grain free food (wet & dry), I use dove cream body wash, all natural litter (although we are toilet training now), lots of toys, heated bed, fuzzy blankets and some clothes:BigSmile:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair - My special place:Smile:
Make sure you have a vet lined up and know where the 24 hr emergency vet clinic is (if you have one in your area). Just in case anything happens. From experience things usually happen on the weekend when my regular vet is away from the clinic.
Also - PLAY _ PLAY _ PLAY with you new addition.:Laugh:

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
I asked our breeder what brand of food and litter she uses, so I can stay with that for a while. She also said she likes wet and dry food, which I'm pretty excited about! Our previous cat would only eat one brand of food and she turned her nose up at every kind of wet food I put in front of her...she MAY have been a little picky. lol.

I also plan to bring a blanket with me to rub on some of her litter mates to hopefully bring a farmiliar smell home with us.

Only two more days! YAY!:LOL:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I asked our breeder what brand of food and litter she uses, so I can stay with that for a while. She also said she likes wet and dry food, which I'm pretty excited about! Our previous cat would only eat one brand of food and she turned her nose up at every kind of wet food I put in front of her...she MAY have been a little picky. lol.

I also plan to bring a blanket with me to rub on some of her litter mates to hopefully bring a farmiliar smell home with us.

Only two more days! YAY!:LOL:

Some breeders will even give you a blankie to take home with you as well

I'm so exicited for you. What does she look like? Have you named her yet?

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
She is a blue point and white and she has blue eyes. She has a little blotch on her nose that is absolutely adorable! I have several photos of her that the breeder took, but if you guys could wait until Sunday, I would rather take pictures of her myself and post them...just to make it feel a bit more personal.

We haven't really decided on a name yet. I like the name Ming, but I have two Chihuahuas named Louis and Lola, so I'm considering the name Ling so I can have all L's. I'm still looking, though. I love love love Asian inspired names, so if anyone has any suggestions, feel free!!:ThumbsUp:

I love that you guys are so welcoming and open with your information. I've been looking at pictures of your kitties all over the site and they're ADORABLE!

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
Oh, and she (the breeder) said she will bring a carrier for her (the cat) and include bedding and some of her favorite toys, so that's good. They should smell like her first home.

Has anyone had any experience ordering a scratching tree online? I looked at them at the pet store and the larger ones are over $300, but when I look online for them, they're about half that. They seem like a good deal, but I wasn't sure, so I thought I would ask just in case!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I love the name Ming.
I have a cat named Meeko and had one named Yoshi.
What about Maui or Neko.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I like the name Yumi and I just ordered a huge cat tree online and it was great.