Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Parent - how do I prepare my house?

mikimuse

Lairian
Hi, I am adopting two rescued boys. I have never had Sphynx but I finally get the pleasure. Is there anything in particular I need to do to prepare for the boys arrival? They have just turned a year old and have feline herpes. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanx :Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair! I can't wait to see photos of your new boys! Snuffie has feline herpes and I have her on 100% grain free food and also L-Lysine. Don't know if you know what that is or not but you can find it in the vitamin section of Walmart or your grocer. I just grind it up and sprinkle it on her food, she gets 250mg per day (half a pill) and when she has a flare up which has only been once I gave her 500mg per day. As time goes on you'll notice when a flare up is starting and you'll be able to get a jump on them so hopefully they never really get too bad. Just try to keep your home stress free for your kitties and you'll do just fine! I thought for sure Snuffie would flare when we moved but so far so good!! *fingers still crossed*

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the Lair! We're glad you found us and I'm looking forward to getting to know you and your boys better. The grain free food is important and so is the L Lysine. Give the 250mg daily and like ckutkuhn7 already wrote, do the 500mg when they flare up. You can get the lysine in many forms--I used to buy it in tablet form from WalMart, but found large jars of it already ground up at Amazon.com. You can also buy it in paste, and also in cat treat form, but they are far more expensive. Admin already talked about shampoo, ear cleaner, toys, litter, etc. but if you have anything like a heated throw, the cats adore them--lots of fluffy blankets on a few chairs and other places they might like to perch on. A scratching post or cat tree is also something they could use if you don't want torn up furniture. A good feline vitamin is also a good idea. There are a lot of things some of us keep in a first aid kit to have on hand--if you're interested in that, you could use the search function on the site and search for the thread on first aid kits. You might also want to buy some unscented baby wipes to use between baths. You've started a wonderful adventure--there is nothing like being loved by a sphynx.
Hugs to you and your new boys,
Susi and the gang

QwertysMama

Lairian
Hi, I am adopting two rescued boys. I have never had Sphynx but I finally get the pleasure. Is there anything in particular I need to do to prepare for the boys arrival? They have just turned a year old and have feline herpes. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanx :Smile:

Would you happen to be in Northern California? I almost adopted two little boys (Wilbur and Orville) who were about 1 year old and had feline herpes, so I'm just wondering if it's them!

Nair Bare

Lairian
Qwerty's Mama: I was thinking about naming my new Harlequin show puppy Qwerty. I was surprised to see someone else already has that name. I liked it because the name is on every keyboard...just hit the Q and then the next 5 letters in a row. Shucks, so now I need to come up with something else. I always try to use names that are a bit unusual so they don't get confused with some other dog on the circuit. My last two Great Danes were named Riverwood's Snortgurgle, a Danish mythological creature, who ate the legs off of garden gnomes and Riverwood's Pettifogger McDogger. I loved the word pettifogger, which use to mean the wise sage of the frontier who settled disagreements, the Ben Cartwrights, of Bonanza fame. We had a pettifogger listed in our family tree and he was a McDaniel, so I added a McSomething to his name.

Guess now I need a new name.......

And to the original poster (sorry, I went off on a name tangent) would you consider getting one of those running water fountains? Keeping cats highly hydrated helps to keep the herpes in check, or so I read.

holly_savage

Banned
Welcome to the Lair, and the advice given is the same that I do for my kitten. Herpes or not, it's great advice for everyone I think. My kitten has had conjunctivitus(sp?) basically goopy eyes, but not been diagnosed as Herpes, but as it was recurring, with a bit of a URI (upper respitory infection) I have my suspicions that this is what she has also.

Good luck, and I am sure that you will love these 2 as much they will love you! BTW, where are you from? As M2M said, there were 2 boys available for adoption near me, but I think they were much older.

Tell us more about yourself, and post some pictures of the boys when you have them.

Holly

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So Mikimuse.... it's been a year, how has it been for you with your boys? I'm sure you have lots of stories and now that you're an experienced Sphynx guardian, you'll have helpful advice for us newbies! :Wink:

So welcome back and 1 more question... Pictures????? !!!:Woo:

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

on your double adoption!

Seeing they have Herpes, I would get them started on L-Lysine powder. It helps boost a cat's immune system. As far as your house goes, anything valuable, I'd put out of reach or off of surfaces where they can jump & accidentally knock something over. Make sure there is no way they can escape & get outdoors without your knowledge. They are a very curious & active breed. Watch them carefully; especially the 1st few days after bringing them home. If you notice that they chew electrical wires, you will have to either conceal the wires or buy protective tubing to encase the wiring. My daughter once had a cat like that. We replaced 2 pc keyboards, 2 phones, 1 answering machine & 3 pairs of Walkman headphones in the 3 years we had her:Dizzy: Good luck & please keep us posted!​

Back