Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New product: Snuggle Sacks!

SumpinSpecial

Lairian
Someone elsewhere on the internet suggested that I should look into snuggle sack carrying pouches for sugar gliders or other pets that like to burrow and be carried close to the owner's chest. I asked my local supplier of hand-sewn crafts if she could do a couple for me as a test. This is what she came up with:

Click on the picture to see another, different fabric. I only have these two so far, and if the feedback is positive then I will ask her to make me some more. One is lined in fleece for added warmth, one is not. They might be too small for a Sphynx, I'm not sure. Thoughts?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@SumpinSpecial I'm not sure why you think these might be too small for a sphynx? The wording on the tag says, "Dog-on Bags", so I'd imagine they were designed for dogs. Just not sure if it was for toy breeds or what.

It probably would be helpful if these bags can be shown worn by a human with any particular dog or cat inside for size judging. One more thought: I personally stay away from anything white if I can for a sphynx because they get "rusty"! LOL That might just be me, not sure how many other members share that thought.

SumpinSpecial

Lairian
"Dog-On-Bag" is her brand name (it's a little confusing, I guess that's her brand while "Hazel's Handywork" is her company name). Her usual dog carry bags are bigger than this. I'll see if I can get a picture with one of the carry sacks on and see if my Sweetie Pie will tolerate it long enough to get a picture. If not, I may just get a picture with a stuffed animal, if that's okay with you guys. It should still show you the relative sizes, I think.

Thanks for the feedback on colors. The one with the red fleece lining might not show "rusty". :) If these work for Sphynx cats, I'll get darker colors in the next order.

GMPLAX23

Lairian
I'm not sure but the strap seems too thin. If there was weight in the bag with this thin strap, my guess would be that it would cut into the skin/shoulder/neck

SumpinSpecial

Lairian
Hmm, good point! They're definitely smaller straps than the ones she uses on her dog bags. I'll ask her about that. She may have made them with sugar gliders in mind, in which case there wouldn't be that much weight in the bag.

SumpinSpecial

Lairian
I'm vending in person at a greyhound social event this weekend. Even though the event is mostly for retired racing greyhounds, there are people with Italian greyhounds who like to come also. I commented in the group on Facebook asking for anyone attending with an "iggy" to stop by my booth and test the snuggle sack for me and give me feedback. Iggys come in a range of sizes, from small cat to whippet, so hopefully I'll get a chance to see how they hold up to a ~10-pound critter and if the straps are a problem.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@GMPLAX23 & @SumpinSpecial wow, for some odd reason, I didn't look at the straps or realize that it was the actual strap that went around a person holding a pet in the sack. That would not be comfortable for sure holding any of my sphynx cats. I think it would eventually be very uncomfortable for anyone holding a 5 pound dog for a length of time.

All of my pet carriers are soft ones and the straps are wide and padded at the shoulder and it's never an issue.

Hope that helps, @SumpinSpecial.

SumpinSpecial

Lairian
Hi all,
I was vending in person at a dog fundraising event this weekend and while I wasn't able to test the snuggle sacks with kitties I did have someone with a very small dog (italian greyhound) try it out. Have to agree with you all, that's a no-go. They're really only suitable for pets under about 3 pounds. I'll update my product description accordingly. Thank you very much for your feedback!

Back