Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New social group- "litter Kwitter Kitties"

Ahicks99

Banned
Yaayyy Pooner. Hows Nudie doing? My boys are doing good. They are working on aiming in the hole lol. They dont like to mess up the litter in the tray. And when they poop or Jar Jar at least tries to scratch it into the lil hole. Its hilarious. Im going to buy some tapes for my camcorder so I can record them this week sometime. Im anxious to move ahead but dont know how they will react to being able to fit their lil heads in the hole. Does anyone have the auto flusher? I think it would be a good idea to add while they are still in training mode. Rather than adding it at the end.

Happy Training Everyone............... :ThumbsUp:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad everyone is doing well! Nudie is on hold at the red stage until the intermmediate disk arrives. I just think she needs smaller steps and she'll be fine.

Ripley

Lairian
Sphyncter is doing well on the Red stage. We're also waiting on the intermediate disks, but will not make a change for at least another week.

pooner

Banned
Replacement String:

So Pooner seems to not want anyone to know he is capable of using the toilet. The minute he sees I'm paying attention he reverts back to "I don't know how to do this mom".
Guess I can't blame him, I wouldn't want a video camera watching me on the toilet:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok so we got the intermmediate disks for Nudie and she is doing it-YAY!!! The new disk is great because the hole is half the size but still there. Both times Nudie has used the new disk it went right through the hole-wahooooo!!!! How funny that Pooner wants to be secretive although I don't blame him- not the most flattering time in ones life:LOL: Nudie actually meows til I come in there to watch like "mom look I'm doing it, get the treats out". Keep up the good work little sphynxes:ThumbsUp:

SpynxGirl

Lairian
Hello, I'm a new member on the forum, eagerly awaiting the arrival of our first Sphynx :BigSmile:

It's a a real handsome (tuxedo) boy who is now 10 weeks old and growing like crazy.
You can see him in my avatar :Adore:

We fully intend to train him with the Litter Kwitter so he will be able to use the toilet - like we all do at home :LOL:

I do have a question, and maybe you guys will be able to give me some tips.
At the cattery he is using a regular (closed) litterbox, and doing very well so.
When we take him home, would it be best to let him use the same type of litterbox they use at the cattery, so he will understand right away where to go when he needs to, or is it better to start with the litter kwitter on the floor in the bathroom right away?

On one hand I think it's better for him to first adjust to a new place to live before trying to introduce a new type of 'litterbox'. On the other hand though, maybe it's better to teach him right away that at the new house there is a different type of litterbox to be used.

I would love to hear your opinions / experiences! Thanks!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would get him a litter box just like the cattery's and let him use that for 1 week with no accidents. Then begin the litter kwitter traing after that. This gives him time to get used to the new house without stressing too much. Your new boy is so adorable- Welcome and Congrats!!!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello, I'm a new member on the forum, eagerly awaiting the arrival of our first Sphynx :BigSmile:

It's a a real handsome (tuxedo) boy who is now 10 weeks old and growing like crazy.
You can see him in my avatar :Adore:

We fully intend to train him with the Litter Kwitter so he will be able to use the toilet - like we all do at home :LOL:

I do have a question, and maybe you guys will be able to give me some tips.
At the cattery he is using a regular (closed) litterbox, and doing very well so.
When we take him home, would it be best to let him use the same type of litterbox they use at the cattery, so he will understand right away where to go when he needs to, or is it better to start with the litter kwitter on the floor in the bathroom right away?

On one hand I think it's better for him to first adjust to a new place to live before trying to introduce a new type of 'litterbox'. On the other hand though, maybe it's better to teach him right away that at the new house there is a different type of litterbox to be used.

I would love to hear your opinions / experiences! Thanks!

Welcome to Sphynx Lair. I have no experience with Litter Kwitter training, but my gut says to make things easy as possible for your new kitten and place the type of litter box he was trained with in the bathroom that you plan on doing Kwitter training. That will give him continued litter box confidence as he transitions to his new home. I would also try setting up the Kwitter too. Maybe he will train himself

SpynxGirl

Lairian
Wow, that's fast! I love this forum already!

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards using a closed litterbox like the one at the cattery for a short period of time, and it seems you have the same feeling. Then he will know for sure that he is supposed to do his things there, there is already a whole lot of new things for him to adjust too.

Setting up the litter kwitter already, as an extra place to go is a tremendous idea! You never know, he might be really intelligent (or adventurous, lol) and train himself. At least he will be used of seeing the thing around when we start the training.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow, that's fast! I love this forum already!

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards using a closed litterbox like the one at the cattery for a short period of time, and it seems you have the same feeling. Then he will know for sure that he is supposed to do his things there, there is already a whole lot of new things for him to adjust too.

Setting up the litter kwitter already, as an extra place to go is a tremendous idea! You never know, he might be really intelligent (or adventurous, lol) and train himself. At least he will be used of seeing the thing around when we start the training.

We have another active Sphynx Lair member here from the Netherlands,
Gizmo6370. She is going to love having you on the boards!

Gizzymom

Banned
Ok so we got the intermmediate disks for Nudie and she is doing it-YAY!!! The new disk is great because the hole is half the size but still there. Both times Nudie has used the new disk it went right through the hole-wahooooo!!!! How funny that Pooner wants to be secretive although I don't blame him- not the most flattering time in ones life:LOL: Nudie actually meows til I come in there to watch like "mom look I'm doing it, get the treats out". Keep up the good work little sphynxes:ThumbsUp:

WAY TO GO, NUDIE!!!!:ThumbsUp:

Shell_Baby

Lairian
Good job Nudie, Pooner & Sphyncter! Kwitter Kitties Unite!!! Grayson is on the amber level, and doing very well. She will be graduating to the green disk this next week (hopefully). Everytime I try to take a pic, she moves :Angry: Silly kitty.....I'll keep trying! :Laugh:

pooner

Banned
Pooner slipped up today, he pooped on the floor where his litter box use to be in the bathroom :Dizzy:
I'm hoping we don't have to go back to the red disc. I guess if he slips again we'll be going back a stage:ThumbsDown:

Ahicks99

Banned
Yay kitties, Dont worry Pooner, I'm sure you just didn't feel like jumping up on the toilet. Right?
Today I'm going to cut out the second ring in our training. Seems like it would put us on the first hole stage in LL. Hope the next week is as good as the last.

Ahicks99

Banned
Hi all. Noones posted here in a few days so I thought Id give an update. Well actually is an downdate. If theres such a thing. The boys have lost it all. They only use the toilet when they want to. Ive found them using it on our dirty clothes, in the corner, right in front of me. Im not sure why? But they dont always go into the bathroom. Seems like witht he bigger hole all they want to do is stick their heads in and get a drink. Sooooo :Dizzy: I dont want to go back a step because I think theyll get it as they do use it. Only when they want to or when Im in there trying to clean it. Maybe I will have to we'll see how they do today. Its just so random. Hows everyone else doing? Hopefully better than I (we). :ThumbsUp:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry to hear about the boys. Are they using the amber disk with the big hole? Nudie did not like the switch from red to the amber disk so I bought the intermmediate disks. She has been doing great with the new disk- it is still amber colored but the hole is half the size. Nudie has not had any accidents for 2 weeks now and I plan to switch her over to the regular amber disk this weekend.
I think it's normal to have accidents but they recommend to go back a step when too many occur- maybe this helps to build their confidence back up again. The intermmediate disks came in a set of 2 ($19)- amber with half the hole size and green with a smaller hole. You may want to consider a set if the boys need something inbetween. Hopefully our kittes will be litter free soon as my bathroom is covered in litter 24 hrs a day because Nudie is a litter flinger:LOL:

pooner

Banned
Pooner had one poop accident since he's been on amber stage. He's been on amber stage for a little over a week almost two. He seems to pee fine on it but he is more hesitant about going poo. Sometimes one foot will fall in the hole and he gets startled. I worry that he may be holding his poo longer than he normally would however, he does eventually go poo on the toilet. I make sure he is going at least once a day. Seems weird to monitor his bowel movements but, I want to make sure he doesn't get sick or anything. For now we are sticking with amber stage until he seems to be very confident, I think it will be awhile.:Woo:

Ripley

Lairian
Sphyncter has had a turn for the worse. I think he has a nervous tummy. I had a lot of company this past weekend. Our house is small so we ended up sleeping all over...friends, kids, dogs...had a blast! Sphyncter seemed to handle all the attention well, but he had an accident on the floor. Then the diarrhea came back. When he had his 2nd accident in a row, I gave his litterbox back. Since they are gone, the diarrhea is gone *yay* but my husband took the litterbox as his cue to take the bathroom back. So....to keep peace in the house, we're using the litterbox (back in the laundry room) and Sphyncter seems happy with this arrangement. I still intend to try again, probably with the guest bathroom, but I will have to wait because we have two adult children (in college) who use that bathroom. My son also has his child (a toddler) living with us and I think the litter kwitter will be too much for her in her bathroom, especially since she will begin potty training soon. We just have too much going on in our house right now. In Sphyncter's defense, he has only been in our house 2 months and has gone through a lot of changes in that time. He is an absolute doll whether he has a litter box or not!:Smile:

pooner

Banned
Pooner is either playing a game or having insecurities about his Litter Kwitter. The little stinker will take a pee no problem at all on the Kwitter but when it comes to the duty he starts meowing and I have to go in the bathroom with him and coax him to go on the Kwitter. It's weird because he has gone on his own multiple time in the last two weeks but he's started this nightly ritual :Dizzy::Dizzy:

Back