Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Sphynx Baby

Ripley

Lairian
I have acquired a Sphynx kitten/cat under less than ideal conditions. He is about 7-10 months old. I am new to the Sphynx world, but not new to having a cat. I'm here searching for information about this breed because I want to provide him with a good home. He does not seem completely well, was very dirty, and is quite skinny. He cleaned up nicely and seemed to appreciate the attention. He is a very loving cat, but doesn't have a lot of energy. I have an appointment with a vet later this week. I appreciate having a good source of information specific to my new baby and will check back often because I am learning so much!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair and congrats rescuing that poor Sphynx. I'm glad your there for him. Feel free to ask any questions or search our threads on bathing, and ear cleaning. Might be a good idea to have the vet show you how to clean his ears without hurting him as it can be tricky getting into the nooks and crannys! Look forward to getting to know you and welcome to our online family - you couldn't have found a better place!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for saving him and welcome to the site.
I would have the vet check his heart.
HCM is a problem sphynx get.
Feed him as much food as he wants.
The Admins of site are coming out with a sphynx shampoo.
I use burts bees for baths.
You will need to clean his ears and nails.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair and thank you for saving this little guy. I'm sure you'll find plenty of tips as you read the forums but please feel free to ask any questions you have. What did you name him?

Inferno12

Banned
Welcome and congrats on the new baby. We love picture here at the Lair :Wink::Wink:

Feel free to ask any questions you want. We talk about everything from nut skins to poop!! :Surprise::Surprise: Its good that you are getting him into the vet.

How did you come across this little guy?

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome! I hope everything checks out. One thing I've noticed about kittens is, they seem to forget easily. Especially under the age of one. So if kitty was neglected, I think he/she will be fine. I prefer cats that like to be noticed and don't hide. And my sphynx Butterball loves to be noticed. And it seems like most sphynx's are the same way.

Butterball can be a strange cat because he hides from small children and (forgive me) black people. He can tolerate children but not a person with a dark complexion. He will literally hurt himself trying to get away from a black person. So apart from being racist, my sphynx is awesome. I hope yours is too, except the racist part of course.

That reminds me, I MUST make a video of his very strange behavior.

Ripley

Lairian
Thanks for the warm welcome and I appreciate the advice. My husband named him 'Sphyncter' (a man thing I guess). My apologies if I don't get this reply thing right. I'm new to posting. My husband got Sphyncter from a family that seemed to be in financial trouble, marital problems, moving away, things like that. I believe he was probably neglected during their time of crisis. Anyway, I didn't get any health information, paperwork, etc. so I've been searching online. I did manage to clean his ears pretty well, but I will ask the vet about that. I also used the baby wipes for his feet and trimmed his claws. At first I thought he had black ears, nose and toes, but as it turns out he is completely idk 'beige' with no color whatsoever and he has yellow eyes. I will post pics when I figure out how. I think I need to clean his teeth, but am going to ask the vet about that too. Should I check the 'health' forum for things like that?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you have his teeth cleaned be careful.
Ketamine is not safe and has killed many sphynxs including my friends sphynx Gimmie.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Ripley and welcome to Sphynxlair! Glad you found us! Yes a vet trip is a must! Hope everything goes well at the vet! Any questions just ask! Please enjoy!:ThumbsUp:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair. I know Shpyncter will appreciate all that you are doing for him. Let him eat as much as he wants. I hope the vet visit goes well.:ThumbsUp:

danimcd

Lairian
hi ripley,
i will also be a new sphynx owner in the new year here are a few websites that really helped me get started with research. most of these sites have links to othe great sites with even more info. i will also Personal Message you a few other sites to check out.

my biggest help was the breeder though. if you could find a breeder in your area and give them a call or send an email that will probably help you out the best. also the lair has a thread i believe called "sphynx owner help center"... ? or something along those lines... anyways, that really helped me be prepared for any possible health issues etc.

wikipedia - general info and some related links and sources.

youtube - for how to's on care and cleaning

- and i will "PM" the rest.

good luck and all the best!

Dani

Mangosoccer11

Lairian
When I first posted, I posted like 10 replies to my own post haha

On the top right corner of the sphynx lair page, there is a cat paw. The second to bottom toe is called "Albums." Then click on "Add Albums." And thats how you post pictures :)

When I have a question about a sphynx cat, I type a key word into the search engine box thats in the top center of sphynx lair. Like you said you had a question about teeth. So I would type in "teeth" and press search.

Back