Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Sphynx coming home

ZekeTheSphynx

Lairian
Hi Sphynx fam, I have a new adoptee coming home Saturday however he free feeds dry food and my current Sphynx eats only raw 4x a day. So I’m wondering if anyone has had experience with this. How I do stop them from eating each other’s food?
I will eventually try to transition the new boy to raw but at first I will obviously just keep the same routine he’s been used to.

62a224a2e7781400164fb87b758f1d98.jpg

Here’s the new boy! His names Atticus and he’s 4years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations. Atticus is a very handsome boy. Love his dark nose and soft blue eyes. He looks cute.
I woukd try to feed them seperatly. Give them food at the same time and take jt away when they finish eating so they can't eat eachothers food!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ZekeTheSphynx , hugs to all parties involved in hearts aligning . Atticus is precious. bless you heart for the pawfect forever home. members will surely chime in with tips on feeding.

so excited for you..look forward to gotcha pics! did you tell Zeke he is getting a brother? :) tick tock counting down gotcha day with you. hugs n head smooches

ZekeTheSphynx

Lairian
@ZekeTheSphynx , hugs to all parties involved in hearts aligning . Atticus is precious. bless you heart for the pawfect forever home. members will surely chime in with tips on feeding.

so excited for you..look forward to gotcha pics! did you tell Zeke he is getting a brother? :) tick tock counting down gotcha day with you. hugs n head smooches

Yes! I think he’s going to love a new cuddle buddy
c5554140061341a60337ff4f16e32949.jpg

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Obviously you say? I missed that memo!

I would offer raw the first day and see what happens. If he's not used to it, he might not want to eat it, but if he does eat it you just saved yourself a lot of time.

I brought home a 5 year old that was fed mostly kibble along with 1/4 can of wet food. The first thing I did was slowly wean him off kibble and onto 100% canned food. This part didn't take very long, I think maybe 2-3 weeks. Once he was eating all wet food, I started adding a little bit of raw to it. At first it was just a tiny bit and then I'd let him get used to that for a week. The next week I'd add a little more. This part took forever. Altogether it took 3-4 months to get him completely on raw food. This was because if I tried to move faster, he wouldn't eat. Baby steps.

When you introduce raw food, stick to one protein. I used rabbit but it's up to you. Once mine he had been eating rabbit for several months, I slowly started adding a little bit of raw chicken in his raw rabbit. I added a little more chicken each week until eventually it was 100% chicken. That also took like 3 months. Mine is picky, picky, picky.

You can go as fast as your cat will let you. Picky eaters make you go slower and take longer. Mine is very picky; he likes rabbit and pork (I cook the pork). He's not a fan of chicken so I don't even bother giving that to him anymore. I'm decided I'm fine with him eating 2 things so in case I can't get one I can get the other.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I forgot - if he's used to free feeding, you should get him used to meal times right away. I assume you have set meals times since you have been feeding raw. Well, once he's used to meal times he will be hungry when it's time to eat, and that will help you a lot as far as getting him to eat a something new.

You will need to watch them eat so they don't steal each other's food. When I started with the new guy, he would walk away from his dish and the other 2 would try to eat it. There were days in the beginning that I would just feed new guy in a separate room.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ZekeTheSphynx , its gotcha day, congrats. safe miles n smiles. extra hugs to all involved in hearts aligning. looking forwarded to pics and tales of sweet Atticus and Zeke.

ZekeTheSphynx

Lairian
f683b4e126dd471754938cb0b677c731.jpg

On our drive Home with the new baby Atticus. He didn’t want to stay in the crate so he sat in my lap and took a nap the whole way home. He’s now trying to get more familiar with his new home and is warming up quite nice although he won’t let us touch him yet…Zeke has sat outside the room door wanting to meet his new friend all night but we are not letting that happened anytime soon.