Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Sphynx mom! Sick baby! Please help!

pearlpollard

Lairian
Hello All!

I am a new poster to these forums but since I got Pearl on August 17th, I have came to this site for advice a few times.

I am very concerned for my Pearl at the moment. Yesterday when I came home from work around 5pm, I fed Pearl ( she eats a raw diet) and while she was eating, I found that she had thrown up her breakfast sometime during the day while I was gone. She ate her lunch just fine and kept everything down. She seemed a little less active than normal and not being as vocal as she normally is, she's definitely a talker! So I watched her closely for the next few hours and took her temp which was 100 degrees. She still drinks water with no problem. Then around midnight, I fed her again. She ate it slowly but she ate all of it. Then she went to her litter pan and let out a big meow, sounding like she was in pain so I ran over and she was throwing up again. I waited a little bit and kept watching her closely then she started having diarrhea so I took her to a 24 hour emergency vet. Her temp was still 100 at the vet and the rest of her vital were normal, they said. They gave her anti nausea meds and gave me FortiFlora to put in her food once every 24 hours. They told me to not feed her raw for the next few days but feed her boiled chicken and rice instead?? She's had a tiny bit of diarrhea this morning. I just gave her a little pumpkin and she scarfed it right down. I took her body temp again and it was lower, 98.8. I'm not using the best brand thermometer so I don't know how true that reading is. I'm planning on getting a better one. I have her wrapped up in front of a space heater now. After talking to my primary vet, she said as long as she's not vomitting profusely or heavy breathing, she thinks that she will be fine to just watch for a little and that I don't need to rush her off to an emergency vet just yet.

Anyone have any advice or have had a similar situation?

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My Gizmo had a similar situation when he was about for months old. Same thing as your baby...vomiting and diarrhea. Took him to the vet and got him checked. They gave him the anti nausea shot and about 3 days later her was himself again. But go with your gut. If yoy don't feel like there's enough of an improvement take your baby back in. Hope all is well again soon.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to The Lair. We have had bouts of upset tummies in our time. Usual the anti nausea shot does wonders. I do not feed my crew raw, so others might have more to share. But it is not abnormal to have an off day. Last week I had our Azura to the vet and vet said anything over 102.5 temp and they are a bit concerned. So trust your vet and their advice for now. I hope to see a follow up post telling us she is doing well.

Patti

pearlpollard

Lairian
Thanks for the replies!

Pearl just ate a little boiled chicken about a half hour-45 minutes ago and kept it down! Also, rechecked her temp and its back up to 100.5! She still seems just a little tired and mopey but I have her set up on a heating pad in front of her favorite window and she's purring!

pearlpollard

Lairian
I'm having a hard time getting my phone to let me post a picture! Hopefully I'll get it figured out soon and be able to post one. Thanks for all the kind words!

pearlpollard

Lairian
Just a little update on Pearl:

She's eaten two little servings of some boiled chicken and two little spoons of pumpkin and has kept everything down! Her temp is back to 100.5. She did poo and it was mostly solid! She still seems more interested in sleeping than playing. I'm hoping this is just a little stomach bug and she recovers soon!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Don't fret about her temperature. They have a higher body temp than humans do. Google says:

The normal body temperature for cats falls in the range of 99.5-102.5 Fahrenheit. Fever, referred to medically as pyrexia, can be defined as a higher than normal body temperature in cats – a body temperature of at least103.5 ° F (39.7° C).

We have been through the pukes and poops many times with our guys. She will probably be ok in a day or 2. They can get a bug or an upset tummy just like we can. He poop will probably be softer than normal until she switches back to raw.

pearlpollard

Lairian
Thanks everyone! Pearl is making good progress today. She's kept all food and water down. She's also more mobile today! She played with one of her favorite toys earlier for about a half an hour and she's following me up and down the steps and wanting to be on my shoulder while I walk around like she usually does! She has a recheck appointment in about an hour!

pearlpollard

Lairian
Thanks so much! The vet visit went well, she seems to definitely be improving!
IMG_3814.2014-10-05_001008.jpg
Here's Pearl sticking her tongue out at me a little bit ago! Haha!

Back