Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Sphynx Owner, a little overwelmed

As of 2 days ago, I am new a sphynx owner. The cat is great but I am a little overwhelmed and have a few questions. I guess to preface things, she is a female which is between 1-2 years old. She warmed up to me immediately and was not shy at all once I got her home. My first question is, do these things sleep at all?! I have owned a few previous cats and they seemed to sleep about 12 hours a day. This girl though seems to have unlimited amounts of energy! Also, do they ever sit down? She follows me all around the house which I don't mind at all but if I am sitting or laying down she will constantly climb all over me for hours at a time.

I was just kind of wondering if any of this stuff can be chalked up to being young and in a new home of if this is the kind activity they exhibit their whole lives. If anyone has any advice for a new owner I am more than willing to accept it! I am very experienced with your average house cat but this is my first time dealing with a Sphynx

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sounds like she's excited to be there with you. I'd say that's a good thing. Don't worry. She'll sleep. She'll sleep alot. At least 12 hours a day.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She sounds like a real sweetie. Sphynx are engaged and interactive cats and they desire to know what their owners are doing and to be with them. Glad she is fitting in.:Smile:

Thanks for the response guys. I suppose after a few days the shock of having a cat follow me everywhere will wear off :) She is definitely determined to always see what I'm up to, oh and determined to walk all over my keyboard while I'm at the computer!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sounds like you have a perfectly normal sphynx on your hands. :BigSmile: She'll slow down a bit as she gets older but not much. Now is a good time to start training her to stay off your keyboard. Whenever she walks on it just say "no" in a disapproving tone of voice then pick her up and move her. Sphynx are smart and she'll catch on fast. But if she's anything like mine she'll insist on being in your lap or on a shoulder while you're at the computer.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She is probably riled up though, being in a new home with a new owner.... You do sound a bit overwhelmed in your first post- but take some deep breaths and realize- the excitement won't last forever :) She'll still be more active the the average house cat and she'll probably still follow you everywhere- but that's a part of being a Sphynx :) If you want a break here and there, your best option is...

to get another Sphynx ;) Two Sphynx are always better then one if you need a break here and there!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi ridiculous_nicholas and welcome to sphynxlair! Sounds to me like your new friend is 100% normal. They do love company and do not like to be alone much. Another sphyx could solve your problem :Laugh:Until then she will settle and sleep some the do value their rest and she is most likely sneeking a cat nap when you ae not around.

Bella07

Banned
Congratulations on your new addition! That's why I am so excited and anxious to own my first Sphynx---because they aren't just like some of your everyday typical housecats :Wink: Can we please see pictures of your new sweetie?! What is her name?!

She sounds exited, she'll calm down soon. She just wants to explore and see everything. Alice was that way too, climbing on everything and jumping around but after she got used to it she just calmed down and napped.

Hello and welcome to the Lair! Your Sphynx sounds like a normal Sphynx! I think she will calm down after the initial excitement wears off but she will still love being near you. That's what I think is so great about the Sphynx - the way they love to interact and be with their family. You could always get Sphynx number two to keep her company! :BigSmile:

FaceForRadio

Lairian
Sphynx have no manners when it comes to personal space!

When our bundle of joy gets a bit overbearing we just wrap her in a warm blanket and have her on our lap until she curls up asleep...then you can put her anywhere!

I like having her on my desk with her little face poking out at me :)

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello and welcome to Sphynx Lair. You have already been given great advice. Sphynx are not like other cats. Soon you will wonder how you ever lived without one. Best of luck.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Yup,,great advice as always!

This is one of the greatest places I know - welcome to the Lair! And congratulations on your new Sphynx! She sounds like a great healthy Sphynx!
Sphynx are very much velcro kitties and let's dote on the fact that you don't have to worry about getting cat hair all over you when you put on clean clothes. I would have to say that is my favorite part,,cat hair no longer keeps me from cuddeling my babies before I have to leave the house or anything.
And everyone is right, you will soon wonder how you ever lived without one of these kitties. I know I do.

Oh,,,and this won't be your last Sphynx! lol

Back