Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Sphynx Owner Questions...Cords, Storage, yada

TyrionAndSasha

Lairian
So,

My guys started chewing on cords. So, I ordered the PetFlex Vet Wrap & Bandage—No Chew that someone recommended. Hopefully that works. These guys are getting into EVERYTHING. The worse it is for them, the more interested they are.
My real question is, as a first time kitten owner (I grew up with a cat, but he was over one year old when I got him) at what age does this crazy streak end. Chewing on cords, Running back and fourth 1,000,000 times before they get even a little tired, Getting behind the TV in the smallest space possible, and the craziest part, the play fighting.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am not sure that will change... ;) maybe a little less hyper as they grow older but the sphynx are a very active and nosey breed. Much different from the DSH I have had in the past.

With my two they are 10 months, they had calmed down with the chewing around 8 months once they had stopped teething, but Alfie will still shred up any paper we leave around the house. I caught him chewing a plug the other day too. They will woosh around the house back and forth, play fight non stop. I think they sleep while I am at work, and when I get home they have a lot of energy to burn ;)

They are funny to watch, and its impossible not to forgive them when they get into trouble :D

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So,

My guys started chewing on cords. So, I ordered the PetFlex Vet Wrap & Bandage—No Chew that someone recommended. Hopefully that works. These guys are getting into EVERYTHING. The worse it is for them, the more interested they are.
My real question is, as a first time kitten owner (I grew up with a cat, but he was over one year old when I got him) at what age does this crazy streak end. Chewing on cords, Running back and fourth 1,000,000 times before they get even a little tired, Getting behind the TV in the smallest space possible, and the craziest part, the play fighting.
Erm.... Some sphynx cats don't change from that. Your kitties might be teething so that's why they are chewing things. It's good that you got the cord covers. If that doesn't work try bitter spray. In the mean time try and re-direct them onto something they can chew. Drinking straws are a very good chew toy, they love chewing them, just chuck them out when they get chewed to death lol. There are other cat chew toys by PetStages, you could get some of them. Have fun!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So,

You can get this, Grannick's Bitter Apple at any pet store - it has been known to work - just spray the items your kitty is chewing.

grannicks.jpg

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My two don't chew much, except for my ear buds if i leave them out. But they are almost 2 yrs old and still very nosy and into everything!

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My Emma does not chew anything other than food...MiniE on the other hand will chew absolutely ANYTHING! Mark has gone through 3 sets of iPhone headphones because she took off with them to chew. We have been working hard to break the habit, and this has been one of our biggest successes so far...

11075786815_63cd8f4d4f_z.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Great advice above. Just think how lucky you are that you got 2 and they have each other to sort of tire themselves out with playing...lol.If you had only gotten one often the lack of play makes them worse at night. Hang in there...it will settle down...maybe.

Patti

Janet

Lairian
My two don't chew much, except for my ear buds if i leave them out. But they are almost 2 yrs old and still very nosy and into everything!
Lol! Yes, I have had some really nice Bose ear buds get completely ruined before I realized what a desirable chew toy they are! Haha!

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So,

I have Curly and Hairry they are brother and sister 3yrs old and they still play like kittens at least once a day. They will chase each other around the house and play fight/bite each other. Even Violet who is 11 will run around every now and then with them. I know it will settle down in a year or so when they get older but they will most likely always rough house that is what brothers and sisters do. :)

None of my Sphynx are chewers however I have a furry kitty Charlie that will chew on anything that looks like a cord. He chewed my best friends surround sound cords and boy was he pissed off... heehee

Joanne

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Be careful with cords or string. Bella swallowed 24 inches of string. She had to have surgery to remove it. Very costly hospital stay.

Back