New sphynx owner with ♥️ Murmur

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by StacyM, Aug 4, 2018.

1. StacyM

StacyMLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $151.07
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi guys-
    I’m a new owner of a sphynx kitten. She is 4 month old and when I had taken her into The Cat Doctor I was told she had a heart murmur. She told me not to worry but come back in a month to have her listen again. We went back and it’s still there. Her records say it’s a 3/6. I am completely new to this. Is that bad? She has had a “cold” since we brought her home, 2 different antibiotics. Everything has cleared up but she sneezed ALOT! This might be TMI but long boogers are always flying out of her poor nose. She sounds raspy sometimes when she states playing real hard. Could this be due to her heart condition? I got a referral to the cardiologist but want to know if I go and spend that kind of money can they really do anything about it? The Cat Doctor was curious and took her back to try and and do an ultrasound on her heart and she said it looks like her left ventrical is large. I just love this kitten along with my girls so we want to do what we can.

• Hugs Hugs x 4

• Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $95,866.71
      Ratings:
      +10,494
      • Butterflies
      • Red Sphynx
      • Pink Sphynx
      • Black Sphynx
      @StacyM Welcome to the lair family - want your baby'/ name ?

Many of us have kitties with heart murmurs - my vet is monitoring and no meds to -date
      Was told he is a "3" grade . Vet also told me this is subject -

Many live long lives with murmurs - kittens can have murmurs "ghost murmurs" they can outgrow
      @momdeeze and @Catzzzmeow may have some more insight to add .

Sphynx Cats and HCM

Did the vet mention any URI ? Not uncommon for newly brought home kitties of any age .
      I imagine it could be heart related but I would ask the vet to rule out an upper respiratory infection?

Do you have a pic of your baby to share?
      Positve head smooches sent -

We have kitties that have heart issues managed with medication .

Did you talk with the breeder about the vets findings ?

A lair full of positive vibes semt for your sweetie

Will be following closely for updates

• Like Like x 2
      • Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
        $208,283.70
        Ratings:
        +18,635
        @StacyM welxome to sphynxlair! Do you have a pic of your girl? And what's her name?

My girl Jade had a heart murmur when she was a kitten. She grew over it and now her heart is completly fine. Hope it will be the same for your girl.

I'm sure more experienced members will chime in.

• Like Like x 2
        • Catzzzmeow

CatzzzmeowModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
          $433,404.65
          Ratings:
          +32,893
          • Scary sphynx
          We had a boy that had a murmur from the day we brought him home...stage 2. He lived to be 13. Being as the left ventricle is enlarged it is smart to see a cardiologist. Meds can slow down progression. Have you talked to your breeder. 4 months is very young to see enlargement already. Remain positive.

• Like Like x 3
          • Hugs Hugs x 1
          • StacyM

StacyMLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $151.07
            Ratings:
            +29
            Thank you for your reply. :) She has been on 2 different antibiotic for the upper respiratory infection. She’s improved a ton. Her eyes don’t water and she only shoots large boogers (sorry TMI) when she sneezes. I have teenage daughters that scream and get grossed out when she starts to sneeze knowing something will be shooting out. It’s really gross.
            I have spoken to the breeder and they have been amazing. We are so attached to hers and she has brought so much laughter and excitement to our home. They offered us a new kitten from different parents and we can keep our Mila (kittens name) . They will not be breeding her parents anymore.
            I was reading through her exams and she had 2 exams prior to us picking her up with no mention of heart murmur. I took Mila to the vet after picking her up and there’s no mention of heart murmur. I just didn’t feel comfortable with the vet due to them only seeing this breed once every 5 years. I found a vet that I love. It’s called The Cat Doctor and will only see cats. She was the one that found the murmur. Went back a month later hoping it was gone it wasn’t. The vet was curious about it but told me she is not trained good enough at diagnosing heart issues. She just wanted to do an ultrasound for her own curiousity. She did charge me. Let my girls and I go watch. She stated she seeing that the left ventrical is large. She sent a referral to the cardiologist vet. I was just wondering if it’s worth it? It’s super expensive. Is there medication, surgery to help her or just love her the best we can and see how long she lives? We just don’t know what to do for her. Wondering if this congestion and flying boogers have anything to do with heart murmur. Thank you everyone for the feedback

Attached Files:

• Adore Adore x 2
            • Hugs Hugs x 1
            • Catzzzmeow

CatzzzmeowModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
              $433,404.65
              Ratings:
              +32,893
              • Scary sphynx
              The boogers etc would not be from the possible heart issues. Some antibiotics do not work great with this breed like. If your vet can prescribe something like Doxycycline, it covers a much broader spectrum.

• Like Like x 1
              • StacyM

StacyMLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                $151.07
                Ratings:
                +29
                Mila has had 2 rounds of Clavamox (10 days each) and a round of Doxycycline. Her lungs sound great and no other discharge except when she sneezes

• Like Like x 3
                • Hugs Hugs x 1
                • momdeeze

momdeezeSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                  $20,971.94
                  Ratings:
                  +928
                  • Scary sphynx
                  With a grade three murmur I would probably get an echo from a cardiologist. We had a kitten with grade 3 that we had an echo done before she went home to her forever family. She has a minor heart valve defect and went home with her brother to a family who knows to follow up. Her latest echo showed no further pathology and she's a healthy happy kitty. We also had a murmur detected on a kit at about 7 months. They did not do an echo and the murmur went away. It is concerning that your vet thinks the heart is enlarged but who knows how many kitty hearts she has seen on ultrasound, hopefully she is wrong! If your kit does have HCM it is good to know asap so she can have the best chance at controlling it with medication. Do call around for prices! The pricing varies widely. The cardiologist I use for our annual breeder scans charges much much less if we go to his appointments at a clinic he rents once a week. He also does appointments at our local vet clinic but then our vet adds on his fee which adds hundreds of dollars to the cost for the same exact thing!
                  As for the boogers!... I was just reading yesterday that somewhere from 90 - 97% of cats carry the herpes virus. I wish it wasn't called herpes because I think that makes it sound worse than it is! It's a cold virus. I've seen a couple kittens with the boogers you describe and good new is they typically grow out if it. Of course I'm sure there are a sad few who have chronic sinus conditions for life but in my experience it's a kitty thing that they can outgrow as their immune system matures.
                  My best wishes for your Mila. I hope she lives a healthy happy long life. Such good news that your breeder has done the right thing for you and is following up with plans not to breed her parents again. Just a suggestion, you never know, maybe ask the breeder if they might be willing to go halves on the cost of the echo. It might be worth it to them to know for sure if it's HCM or not.

• Like Like x 4
                  • Lynn W

Lynn WV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                    $15,272.75
                    Ratings:
                    +773
                    • Blue Sphynx
                    • Puppy
                    • Chick
                    • Fish
                    Your baby Mila is soooo cute, @StacyM. Years ago I had a cat (not a Sphynx) with a murmur..he lived to be 17yrs. old without any meds. at all. He didn't have an enlarged heart however.

• Like Like x 1
                    • StacyM

StacyMLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                      $151.07
                      Ratings:
                      +29
                      Thank you. I made her an appointment with the cardiologist. Hoping it’s not to bad and she can live a long happy life :).

• Like Like x 1