Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Sphynx Owner

Lydia

Lairian
Hello everyone!

So I'll be adopting a beautiful 6-year-old lady from a nice couple who unfortunately had to give her up do to a new baby taking up all of their time and money. Their loss is my gain though it truly is a sad occasion. But before I get her in a few days I definitely had a few questions!

1. How to help with adjusting to a new home? She's been with the same family for 6 years so I understand there's going to be a pretty sad period of separation anxiety until she accepts her new home. Are there any ways to help with that?

2. Shopping List? Her old owners are going to be giving me a sweater, her bed, a blanket, and the rest of her food plus the bowls but I wanted to see if there was anything else I would need to get her? Any recommendations on shampoo? Plus any extra tips I need to know.

3. So my roommate is allergic to the fur and dander which is why I'm overjoyed with Sphynx cats because I understand they're not fully hypoallergenic but I understand it helps a lot. Any tips to lessen the allergins in the air? Do the hypoallergenic wipes work? And how to clothes help with the dander?

Thank you all so much!

Sheldon13

Staff member
To question 3, not much dander to speak of. Body oils are the thing with this breed. You just have to make sure when she starts to get grimy and oily you give her a wash. Otherwise she'll leave residue everywhere. Clothes do help absorb the oil, but of course it would be dangerous to leave them on while you aren't home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lydia

Lairian
To question 3, not much dander to speak of. Body oils are the thing with this breed. You just have to make sure when she starts to get grimy and oily you give her a wash. Otherwise she'll leave residue everywhere. Clothes do help absorb the oil, but of course it would be dangerous to leave them on while you aren't home.

Thank you for your help!!

Sheldon13

Staff member
I use a heated (for animals) pad for comfort from the cold. I throw a fleece blanket on top and she just buries herself in it. I'll grab the links soon. Brb cuz I'm at work.

Sheldon13

Staff member
K&H Manufacturing Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Bed Small with FREE Cover
K&H Manufacturing Thermo-Kitty Mat Mocha 12.5-Inch by 25-Inch 6 Watts

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello and welcome!

Congrats on adopting your naked!

Transitioning can be tough in some situations. Lots of love, patience, and attention. Hopefully you can bring some of her favourite toys and items. Try not to change litters or food for a while (about a month). A phermone spray like feliway may also help.

As for a shopping list -- go crazy. LOL. Lots of blankets, for sure. Da Bird toy is great. HyLyt is a shampoo many Lairians use. Here's a great toy list: *GoldHazel's favorite sphynx TOY list*

This is a great section on the Lair: Sphynx Cat Help Center

In regards to minimizing the allergen affects, @Toa and Ross may be able to address this. But I'd say make sure you wash her bedding and blankets regularly. Baths once a month or so with weekly wipedowns in between.

Do you have any more pics? And again, congrats!