Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New sphynx transformed our first sphynx into a mean kitty--help!

WyoKitty

Lairian
Hi all,

We've had our first sphynx, Camira, for two years now (got her as a kitten)--she is absolutely wonderful and we don't know what we did without her! Recently we acquired a second sphynx, a boy, one year old, already neutered (named Krieger). We've had him for about a month, and he and Camira are tolerating one another and slowly becoming buds. The problem, however, is how Camira acts with my husband and me. I expected that after she and Krieger were getting along better, she would be better with us (she had a bit of attitude when the new kitty came home).

With each passing week she's behaved worse and worse towards us, all out hissing, biting, smacking, etc. when you even so much as touch her. Now, I know it's normal to experience some growing pains when adding a new pet to the family, but she seems to be getting worse with us, not better, although she and Krieger are just fine. We've given them each special time with us, making sure he feels welcome and she doesn't feel like she's being pushed out, but I can't think of what else we might do to get back our sweet little girl. Right now, she's acting like a little monster and it's bugging me to have literally watched her turn from such a sweet cat into an angry, bitter kitty who doesn't want to be touched, let alone held, and won't come anywhere near us.

Any tips/tricks/advice would be great!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

We've had our first sphynx, Camira, for two years now (got her as a kitten)--she is absolutely wonderful and we don't know what we did without her! Recently we acquired a second sphynx, a boy, one year old, already neutered (named Krieger). We've had him for about a month, and he and Camira are tolerating one another and slowly becoming buds. The problem, however, is how Camira acts with my husband and me. I expected that after she and Krieger were getting along better, she would be better with us (she had a bit of attitude when the new kitty came home).

With each passing week she's behaved worse and worse towards us, all out hissing, biting, smacking, etc. when you even so much as touch her. Now, I know it's normal to experience some growing pains when adding a new pet to the family, but she seems to be getting worse with us, not better, although she and Krieger are just fine. We've given them each special time with us, making sure he feels welcome and she doesn't feel like she's being pushed out, but I can't think of what else we might do to get back our sweet little girl. Right now, she's acting like a little monster and it's bugging me to have literally watched her turn from such a sweet cat into an angry, bitter kitty who doesn't want to be touched, let alone held, and won't come anywhere near us.

Any tips/tricks/advice would be great!

Is there any chance it is a coincidence, and maybe she is having pain or a health issue? How is the rest of her behaviour - eating, pooping, peeing, sleeping?
I agree with @MollysMom - perhaps there is a underlying issue. Has the new kitty been giving a clean bill of health from your vet? Is there any sneezing, runny poo etc. from the new guy? The new kitty introduction issue is generally pet on pet related, not pet on human.

WyoKitty

Lairian
All-thanks for your replies. Here's for a bit of back story on the new kitty given recent developments. The new cat belonged to my husband's friend's girlfriend's sister (that's a mouthful). His friend and girlfriend, knowing we had our original baby, contacted us about a month ago and asked if we wanted another sphynx (Kreiger)--they explained that the sister needed to rehome him, that she suddenly remembered (After owning him for several months) that her apartment had a 1 pet policy and she had had her dog longer. Suspicious, my husband asked his friend whether there was any other information about behavioral issues, etc. since the original story seemed a bit "shady." He told us that to his knowledge, the cat was sweet and was great, with no known behavioral issues. We provisionally agreed to take him and try him out with our cat. They drove the cat the 10 hours to where we were (at no charge) and gave him to us (at no charge). After the first week but before a scheduled vet appointment, we noticed he was vomiting and having bad diarrhea. We contacted our friends and inquired about this, they told us they learned from the sister that Kreiger has a sensitive stomach, and it was probably just him adjusting to his new food/surroundings. When the stool contained blood, we took him to the vet immediately. The vet believed he had a severe case of ear mites, and after testing a sample of his stool, inflammatory bowel disease. We returned home with special food, medicine for his ears and inflammatory bowel disease.

In the mean time, I wrote the post above--Camira does not seem to have health issues herself, although we've been monitoring her ears. She seems to have toned down the attitude, although she has not yet returned to her normal, huggy, needy self. Today was Kreiger's 2 week follow up at the vet. His ears are still bugging him and he still is having diarrhea (although less of it). Turns out, he doesn't have ear mites, but a bacterial infection, and there may be greater issues with his bowels then initially expected. So, we returned with more medicine to try for both his ears and his bowel (in addition to continuing with the special food). We also have an appointment for a month from now, where they will test another stool sample and see where we go from here (possibly an intestinal biopsy).

Our thinking is we probably need to get Camira in to get checked. The vet pointed out that he was beginning to suspect that perhaps the sister knew Kreiger was sick and maybe couldn't afford his care--hence free 1 year old sphyx cat, no cost to have him travel 10 hours. Would we still have taken him? Probably. What breaks my heart is if she knew, this poor guy has to suffer while we go through multiple vet treatments to try to figure out what's wrong and get him better. Not to mention that in the last 3 weeks, we've shelled out close to $700 in vet bills. Just frustrating for us and our new little guy!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All-thanks for your replies. Here's for a bit of back story on the new kitty given recent developments. The new cat belonged to my husband's friend's girlfriend's sister (that's a mouthful). His friend and girlfriend, knowing we had our original baby, contacted us about a month ago and asked if we wanted another sphynx (Kreiger)--they explained that the sister needed to rehome him, that she suddenly remembered (After owning him for several months) that her apartment had a 1 pet policy and she had had her dog longer. Suspicious, my husband asked his friend whether there was any other information about behavioral issues, etc. since the original story seemed a bit "shady." He told us that to his knowledge, the cat was sweet and was great, with no known behavioral issues. We provisionally agreed to take him and try him out with our cat. They drove the cat the 10 hours to where we were (at no charge) and gave him to us (at no charge). After the first week but before a scheduled vet appointment, we noticed he was vomiting and having bad diarrhea. We contacted our friends and inquired about this, they told us they learned from the sister that Kreiger has a sensitive stomach, and it was probably just him adjusting to his new food/surroundings. When the stool contained blood, we took him to the vet immediately. The vet believed he had a severe case of ear mites, and after testing a sample of his stool, inflammatory bowel disease. We returned home with special food, medicine for his ears and inflammatory bowel disease.

In the mean time, I wrote the post above--Camira does not seem to have health issues herself, although we've been monitoring her ears. She seems to have toned down the attitude, although she has not yet returned to her normal, huggy, needy self. Today was Kreiger's 2 week follow up at the vet. His ears are still bugging him and he still is having diarrhea (although less of it). Turns out, he doesn't have ear mites, but a bacterial infection, and there may be greater issues with his bowels then initially expected. So, we returned with more medicine to try for both his ears and his bowel (in addition to continuing with the special food). We also have an appointment for a month from now, where they will test another stool sample and see where we go from here (possibly an intestinal biopsy).

Our thinking is we probably need to get Camira in to get checked. The vet pointed out that he was beginning to suspect that perhaps the sister knew Kreiger was sick and maybe couldn't afford his care--hence free 1 year old sphyx cat, no cost to have him travel 10 hours. Would we still have taken him? Probably. What breaks my heart is if she knew, this poor guy has to suffer while we go through multiple vet treatments to try to figure out what's wrong and get him better. Not to mention that in the last 3 weeks, we've shelled out close to $700 in vet bills. Just frustrating for us and our new little guy!
Bless your heart for taking him in. Glad to hear that Camira is getting a bit better. Yes, I would imagine that they knew well and good that he was having health issues. Thank goodness that he has you on his side now. So many people get a sphynx thinking that it is a "cool pet", and don't realize just how much more care they need. That includes grooming AND the notoriously sensitive stomachs!

Hope that he is on the mend soon and you guys enjoy both of your kitties!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing the "back story." This baby is very lucky to have you for their forever home. I do agree it is sad that people can not be upfront and honest about what is going on with a sick pet. There are many people who would prefer to rescue than to buy from a breeder and will pay for treatment. The most important thing for this baby is to get healthy and be happy and if you knew upfront, you would have had a jump start on this. Sounds like you have a good plan though. Before biopsies etc I would try changing the diet and perhaps a second opinion if that does not work. Will be looking for updates...fingers are crossed!

patti

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I rescued a 2yr old sphynx in May and she turned my sweet little Yoda into a monster. She went from loving, easy going to a devil. Yoda has always gotten along with everyone. I couldn't believe the transformation. She stalks her and a battle royal ensues. I have 2 other sphynx and had no trouble with Yoda introducing them to her. She always acted motherly toward them. The best advice I can give is PATIENCE. there's been times when I have wanted to throw the towel in. It's been VERY frustrating. I have noticed a GREAT improvement the last couple of days. I hate to say anything, I don't want to jinx it. @Catzzzmeow gave me some great advice on making everyone play together and not to interfere in every fight. I also, got great advice on improving the newbies socialization. She wouldn't cuddle or stand to be loved on. She is so loving now. The last couple of days have been great. The fights have cut down dramatically. I'm elated. I know your problem is different but PATIENCE is the key. It may take longer than you figured on, for her to get back to her regular lovey, cuddly ways.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yep, time and patience. I'm very lucky that my first sphynx was only interested in playing. She was a year and a half when the second one came in. The second kitty was 3 and a half and she is definitely more bossy, but because the other one just wants to play and doesn't care about anything they get along fine. I only kept them separated for a week, which is really very short time for 2 cats to become friends.

Back