Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Sphynx Vet question

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm getting a new sphynx girl in April! :BigSmile: What contagious diseases (that could be fatal) should I ask my vet to screen for so she doesn't give anything to Harry?

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Are you getting her from a breeder? If so, your breeder should be responsible for checking those things out BEFORE you get your kitty. Along with your kitty a good breeder would be giving you a clean bill of health from thier vet, and even a vaccination record showing that they are up to date...depending on how old the kitty will be when you get her.

susi794

Staff member
I'm getting a new sphynx girl in April! :BigSmile: What contagious diseases (that could be fatal) should I ask my vet to screen for so she doesn't give anything to Harry?

I would ask for copies of the HCM scan results from both parents, and her health history, but the problem with most of the fatal diseases is that there aren't any tests available. You should get a shot record and a health guarantee for congenital defects and FIP. Ask the breeder outright if they are treating anyone in their cattery for herpes. Put your new baby on Lysine and quarantine her for a couple of weeks to make sure she has nothing before you introduce her to Harry.
That's what I would do anyway--still no guarantee though.

PitRottMommy

Banned
There are 5 main concerns for sphynx that you need to have, contagious or not:

1) Feline Leukemia
2) Feline Aids
3) HCM
4) Feline Herpes
5) Feline Infectious Peritonitis

The parents of your kitten, if you purchased from a responsible breeder, should have both been tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids before breeding as this is a 10 minute test that is easily obtained and run. The kitten should also be tested before introduction into your household.

HCM is a cardiac condition that is substantial in this breed. Responsible breeders screen their adults once a year to ensure they scan negative for this condition. I recommend that everyone (not just breeders) scan their cats annually. There is no way to determine if the cat has HCM without an ultrasound/echo. Your vet cannot rule out HCM just by listening to the heart and a fair percentage of HCM cats don't have any signs at all until they've died suddenly (this includes no heart murmur).

Feline Herpes is a condition that affects the eyes and upper respiratory tract of cats. It can start with boogery eyes or just your regular symptoms of an upper respiratory infection.

Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP): While there is no test to determine if your cat has FIP, there IS a test to determine if your cat does NOT have it. FIP is a corona virus. The PCR panel determines if your companion has ever been exposed to a corona virus (it does not tell you if it's FIP or not). However, if the PCR test is negative your cat should be negative for FIP (no corona exposure=no FIP).

I would also recommend a 10 day quarantine before putting your current cat together with the new cat. Stress can cause an underlying illness to become more prevalent. Keeping them quarantined in different rooms can help to ensure that if your new companion does indeed come down with something, Harry's chances of exposure are limited.

Back