Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New thing with her water

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
so, my Raphael drinks a lot of water. I have had three bowls of water set out for her in three different places since I got her in July. She also likes to lick the water off my legs after I shower, and she jumps in the bathtub and licks the water there too.

So now she has started this new thing....she dips her toes in her water bowls, pushes them around and spills her water. I have changed to different bowls and she still does this. Does anyone have any idea why she might have started this weird behaviour?

Thanks and happy new year to all.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cleopatra does this so regularly that we call it "dibbling." She will dibble in her water bowl usually right after I change the water or, worse, right after she uses the litter box. I did a Web search about it, and found that some people think that it has to do with the lack of whiskers. Cats cannot see really close up in front of their noses, and cats without whiskers have a harder time determining the depth of water in their bowls.

I would agree with that assessment if Marcus did the same thing, but I have never seen him do it at all. And we have had furry cats with long whiskers do it, just like Cleopatra. So I really think they do it because they like the feel and sound of the water splashing around their foot. Maybe your baby and mine just like to have a clean foot, or maybe they are just making sure that we feel needed, by giving us more work to do every day.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's a new thing for us, silly cats! She has also started to chew her toenails! I have them cut regularly so I don't think it is because they are too long. Lots of fun these guys!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
My boy Toa loves to out his paws in the water, splash around a bit and then lick the water of his paw. And biting his toenails is his favorite too (sometimes I think he's trying to pull out his nails!)

Back