Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New to Forum/male studs

marti Patterson

Lairian
Hi, my name is Marti and I'm a sphynx mom to Hank; 2yrs old, Vladimir; 1yr old, and newly adopted Sirius Black...our stud...he's only 14 weeks, he's still a stud in progress. I've never bred cat's before, so my question is, how do non-nueterd males act differently than nueterd males: ie personality, spraying and marking, and overall bathroom habits?
Im very excited but want to be as prepared as possible ❤

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Don't know about breeding and non-neutered males but wanted to chime in to welcome you. If you have pics we would love to see them.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @marti Patterson and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! Yes, males that are not neutered tend to spray on all household items, furniture, clothing - etc. I don't think bathroom habits change. Please enjoy the community! :)

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am worst case scenario for a stud since we have two studs who are mortal enemies. I have heard that studs can live happily together but it is sadly not the case for us. Our boys are black Monday, the upstairs boy, and pinkie Mortimer, the downstairs boy. I have also heard rumors about studs that do not spray. Again, not at our house! Both boys are in enclosures that they pee all over. Mort's is a converted plastic garden shed. We added big windows and he even has a OneFastCat treadmill in there that he uses 24/7. Monday is in a triple decker wire cage, actually two of them, attached together. They are lined with clear plastic because again, he will stand on all levels and spray with abandon. Whenever they are out of their enclosures they are in stud pants or they will immediately spray. Breeding is not for the faint of heart! And I haven't gotten to the bad part yet ️ If we have been with one of the boys, so much as to scoop the litter box, we cannot be around the other without first changing clothes and showering or an attack is likely. These boys are both the gentlest, most loving of our menagerie but if they smell the other on us blood will flow (our blood!! We all have the scars to show when we were learning the hard way.) I keep antibiotics on hand just in case!! Even the most minor of cats bites needs antibiotics, again lesson learned the hard way.
I'm not trying to scare you, this is the reality at our house. We learned the hard way but we have a good system now. I truly wish the boys could have free run of the house like the girls, but it's not to be with studs.
Are your two older cats neutered? Good news if so, I suspect they will do OK together. My daughter had an older neutered male and an adult stud who did fine together. She has since had the stud neutered. The boys got alone fine but the stud did start to spray. And she's a crazy cat lady like her mom. She then adopted two rescue boys so now she has four boys, but hers are all neutered now and they get along great.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@momdeeze thanks for giving the realtime day in the life of information.I know it is not always a bed of roses and I give you credit for finding what works in your home. It is so important people see ahead of time what they might be in for. Thanks for replying so quickly.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is great information for anyone that is considering
starting a breeding program.
Not counting scanning parents for HCM, shots.
Vet care, loosing babies, tube feeding babies.
I'm sure a lot more.

RoxannK

Lairian
I see this is an old thread, but we are considering breeding our younger girl after this summer when she becomes of age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda mom

Staff member
Do you have a mentor ? Her breeder ?
Are you going to HCM scan her before breeding ?
Be aware female kitties can spray too

Soo much I hear involved with breeding - genetics , cost , time , health issues , around the clock care etc for the health of kitties and mum to expect the unexpected too with vet bills
Definitely recommend a mentor
Not sure if TICA has info that may help
rules here prohibit solicitation for studs or queens here but surely members can chime with suggestions for organizations to contact amd point you in the right direction

Here is s helpful link too

Last edited:

RoxannK

Lairian
Do you have a mentor ? Her breeder ?
Are you going to HCM scan her before breeding ?
Be aware female kitties can spray too

Soo much I hear involved with breeding - genetics , cost , time , health issues , around the clock care etc for the health of kitties and mum to expect the unexpected too with vet bills
Definitely recommend a mentor
Not sure if TICA has info that may help
rules here prohibit solicitation for studs or queens here but surely members can chime with suggestions for organizations to contact amd point you in the right direction

Here is s helpful link too

Thanks for the link! We definitely wont take this lightly if we end up breeding her... And are on the look out for a mentor. When we bought our girl the breeder said she would mentor and had mentioned setting us up with an unrelated male when the time came but I haven't gotten an answer more recently about that. She has already been HCM scanned and was negative... So far we haven't had any issues with her spraying; she's actually very well behaved in that dept compared to our spayed female...

Back