Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New to Lair/Out of state adoption

emmysmom10

Lairian
I'm so happy a MI breeder recommended the Lair to me. I've spent most of the day reading all kinds of things on here.
I was also wondering if many people decide to adopt outside of the state they live in? I personally have a concern with it because it doesn't give my naked baby a chance to get to know a new kitty.
Also, when you start looking for a new addition to the family does everyone have certain colorings they look for or do you start looking for just a great personality?

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi and welcome.
Glad you found us. I am not from the US but I've seen many go out of state for their cats. I didn't really understand your concerns with that by the way. If you didn't mean that YOU can't get to know your kitten before you pick it up.
I am one of those people that really think it is important to visit a breeder and get some sort of relationship with them before you get your cat and best thing is to pick it up yourself ofc. I understand that that is a problem for many but if possible that is a good thing to do.

About the colors, I don't know if most people have a preference when it comes to the color of their first sphynx but I and many with me had at least a vague idea of what we were after.
I like the lighter (?) colors such as red and white even though I love them all so that's what I looked for primarilly. However, even if you look for something it is very likelly that you still fall for something else especially if you go and see a litter.
Kittens are very hard to reject hehe.

Good luck and better info will come from others that are more familiar with the US and maybe even your area of it.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair! I believe we already met in another thread you started.

I'm on a waiting list for a kitten from out of state. But my breeder is about 4 hours away so it'll be possible to visit the baby before he comes home to live with me. However, I have 100% confidence in my breeder and wouldn't be averse to not meeting the kitten and having it shipped in if I lived farther away.

When I decided to get a new kitten and started looking for a breeder, my very first consideration was whether or not they scanned for HCM. If the answer was no I crossed them off the list and moved on.

Personally, I rate personality > color or markings. But I also tend to prefer males over females. There's no wrong answer to your question cause everyone has different things that are important to them.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I would not be worried getting a sphynx from out of state.
I was only looking within 4 hours from my area before I got Cleo.
I also wanted a solid choc,black or blue sphynx or a blue eyed.
Well the breeder here led me on and did not work out so I got mine from another state.
Cleo and Polar come from North Carolina and I live in California.
Wrinkles comes from San Diego and I have not met her breeder yet.
I did meet Cleos/Polar breeder at the TICA Annual.
I would go more y personality then color.
All my sphynxs were just like the breeders said they would be.
In fact I just got a Bombay from North Carolina last week and she is nice also.

emmysmom10

Lairian
Thank you for the welcoming messages and the comments!
And yes my concern was just so that my Emmy could meet any potential kitten we decide to adopt, she has been the only animal in our home for 2 years and she doesnt like all other animals so I wanted to make sure they got along.
Marlene- is your breeder in MI? Why do you prefer males over females?
I have a female a I tend to prefer darker colors, but I would take one of every color if I could lol I found a 17 week old red and cream male that I love, do you think males are easier then females
Also, do you look for very hairless or do you my patchy hair? That is another one of my debates with myself, Emmy is extremely hairless and the little boy I'm looking at has a furry tail, I can't decide what I want.
sorry for rambling, it's just very nice to discuss kitties with people that love then like I do!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It depends on the person I prefer girls.
My boy beats up my poor girls.
If you look at my fb you would see the terrible bite on my poor Wrinkles head from him.

Inferno12

Banned
Thank you for the welcoming messages and the comments!
And yes my concern was just so that my Emmy could meet any potential kitten we decide to adopt, she has been the only animal in our home for 2 years and she doesnt like all other animals so I wanted to make sure they got along.
Marlene- is your breeder in MI? Why do you prefer males over females?
I have a female a I tend to prefer darker colors, but I would take one of every color if I could lol I found a 17 week old red and cream male that I love, do you think males are easier then females
Also, do you look for very hairless or do you my patchy hair? That is another one of my debates with myself, Emmy is extremely hairless and the little boy I'm looking at has a furry tail, I can't decide what I want.
sorry for rambling, it's just very nice to discuss kitties with people that love then like I do!

Johnny doesnt play well with others. It took him 2 weeks to finally accept Diego and now they are the best of friends so I dont think them meeting and getting along would necessarily be a sign if they will match. Others on here have their babies get along insantly but it may not be that way with you so I wouldnt have that be a reason to get one close.

Second, you can get one that is super hairless and then it can grow hair when it gets altered or with winter or just with age so I dont think you can really look for that either.

I would find a good breeder and find one that you feel has the best personality and the one what will fit best with your house (the breeder should be able to help you with that).

Good luck in your search

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hmm there's no way for you to tell whether or not Emmy likes a kitten, so that doesn't matter at this point. First off, I don't know of any breeder who would allow a strange kitty into her home and given access to kittens. The risk of infection is just too great even if Emmy is healthy, cause kittens don't have real good immune systems. Secondly, even if you did find a breeder who would let you bring Emmy, there's no way Emmy is going to act naturally in a strange place so you couldn't really tell whether or not she'd get along with the kitten. Is she hissing because she's in a strange place or because she doesn't like the kitten? Heck if I could tell!

I'm in northcentral Ohio and yes, my breeder is up in Michigan. I've been on the waiting list since last July, hopefully my kitten will be born around Christmas.

I just prefer males, I dunno why, seems like I bond better with them or something. There's no rational explanation for it, it's just an instinctive attraction to males. Color doesn't matter much, I love them all. I like the kitties with a little bit of hair or down, the peach fuzz kind, cause they're much easier to pet than the sticky-bald kitties.

Course what you see now isn't always what you see next month or even next year. My sphynx was sticky bald when I bought her and at 8 years old she has very fine peach fuzz all over with some very soft patches of hair on her hips and behind her ears and on her shoulders, and her tail has sparse hair and looks like a rat's tail. And the patches come and go depending on the season, she tends to get a bit "hairyer" in cold weather.

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to Sphynx Lair! It's nice to "meet" you! I plan to bring home my first sphynx kitten early in the summer. I have been searching for breeders that are in bordering states to me. Thankfully, there are a few wonderful ones within driving distance of 7 hours. So, I'll probably end up not shipping my baby, just driving. I am a tad bit picky when it comes to the color that I want my Sphynx to be.... I have my preferences, and blue eyes are a dream of mine! I had a breeder tell me that having a favorite color is absolutely normal--- All Sphynx kittens have wonderful personalities, so it's hard to go wrong with one!

I made a thread about the diff. on opinions between males/females. I can't post the link tho bc I'm posting from my cell right now! But if you search for it you'll be ae to find it.

I plan to show my future kitten, so I will be bringing home a Show Q one. So, my advice for you is to follow your heart. Choose a kitten that calls to you! I also recommend that you buy from a breeder who scans for HCM. If you dont know what that is, then please do some research on it so you are prepared! Good Luck!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butterball was born in Ohio and he flew to me in Texas when he was about 15 weeks old. No problems at all. I opened the crate and he was all over my car checking things out. He calmed down and sat in my lap purring.

I didn't visit my breeder but we had many exchanges over email and we made each other laugh. She told me about other people that adopted from her and they all gave me the thumbs up. They were right. My breeder has been fantastic and Butterball is doing great after two years. So no complaints.

As for colorings.... Well I've never had a sphynx before and I wanted a male tux. My breeder only had a female tux so it didn't take me long to decide to go ahead with the non tux. But looking back, it didn't matter that much.

Butterball was super hairless when he was a baby. He's got a faint fine coat growing on his back and tail. He has hair on his nose which is brown. I always wonder what he'd look like with a full coat.

emmysmom10

Lairian
I am actually working with a breeder right now and she did let me bring Emmy into her home, the youngest there were about 17 weeks. In a few days the breeder will be bringing two of the kittens to my home to see how they act here and also how Emmy acts. I know this isn't common practice for breeders, or atleast I've never talked to anyone else that was willing to do it, but it settles my nerves a bit:Laugh:
Marlene-If you dont mind would you be willing to give me the name and possibly a website for the breeder you are working with so that I could look into them? Even if its in a private message.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Would be glad to PM you the link. Will do so when I get home in the morning and have access to my favorites (am on my work computer now).

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello emmysmom10 and welcome to Sphynxlair! Good luck in your search! Color is surely preference. I would recommend if any way possible to meet the baby in person along with the parents and to be sure they are registered CFA or TICA. The hairlessness of a Sphynx cannot be guaranteed. Your baby can be bald when they come home and one year later have a furry tail or fuzz on other parts of their body. Hope this helps!

Bella07

Banned
Marlene, would you mind sending me a PM with your breeder as well? I'm in PA so we've probably both looked within the same scope of breeders. Thank You of course.

danimcd

Lairian
I'm so happy a MI breeder recommended the Lair to me. I've spent most of the day reading all kinds of things on here.
I was also wondering if many people decide to adopt outside of the state they live in? I personally have a concern with it because it doesn't give my naked baby a chance to get to know a new kitty.
Also, when you start looking for a new addition to the family does everyone have certain colorings they look for or do you start looking for just a great personality?

i adopted out of my province... i live in ontario and i am getting my sphynxies form michigan! lol 8 hrs away lol

i just happened to see one and fell in love with it... actually i fell in love with another one too but i wasn't ready to take her home right away... but i QUICKLY fell in love with yet another lol so i am getting my first two in the new year!

i just saw them and knew they were for me.

now every time i see new ones i want more and i don't even have one in my arms yet!!!! i'm an addicit who's never had one lol ...
i don't care about coloring... i think they are all beauties and the only personality i wouldn't look for is meekness... not that i couldn't deal with one if thats the way they were... but i am currently cat-sitting 3 hairy ones... and one HATES new people and new cats and refuses to be in the same room as a new human or even one of her house mates... that would frustrate me slightly but it's managable.

Dani

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Welcome to the lair!! :BigSmile:

My first 2 boy sphynx were purchased by a breeder 30 minutes from my house. I really liked this because I visited them once a week for 6 weeks. They met my furry man, Dex, and two dogs and it took about 2 weeks before there was no hissing on the youngster's part towards the dogs, but the cats all got along on the first day....all males, maybe that has something to do with it? My 3rd sphynx, female, was out of country and shipped to me. I think her integration is going to take a little longer b/c there are more animals for her to get used to, but she has been laying with the boys off and on today w/o any incidences. As for color and all that, I think it's personal preference, but it's not the deciding factor IMHO. So, I think you would be fine getting a kitty out of state.

lawgrl

Lairian
Both of mine came from out-of-state breeders...I got Twiggy from a FL breeder when I lived in GA and we got Choppy from a GA breeder after I moved to FL...go figure!!!:Dizzy::LOL:

It's definitely possible to do enough research and due diligence to make up for the breeder being too far away for an in-person visit...a breeder probably wouldn't let you bring your current kitty to visit the kittens anyway (too many concerns with possible illnesses getting into the cattery...that's not to imply anything bad about your current kitty, it's just that the breeders I've met worry about that sort of thing, even if the other cat is vaccinated.).

Boys and girls definitely seem to have distinct personalities (and there are, of course, variances in individuals), so that part of the choice would depend on your personal preferences.

I wouldn't worry too very much about the fuzz issue, to some degree it's impossible to know if a very hairless kitten will remain that way. Although I would think that a good breeder (who really kept track of the breeding lines) would be able to provide info on the hairlessness of the kitten's blood lines. It's still no guarantee that a little fuzz won't pop up as they get older (esp. after they're spayed/neutered), so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In my opinion, I'd focus most on personality. That's really the most important part anyway.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. All of the Sphynx we have owned came from out of state. Gleek's breeder actually flew him to me from Georgia since she had never been to Maine before.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi- Welcome.
I'm from Michigan and my first sphynx was flown to me from FL and I never met her and we are soulmates now. My peterbald came from ND and my two other sphynxs came from Ontario. I'm just now looking to getting a baby closer to home because I want to pick one that has a personality that will fit in with my household.

bellasmom

Banned
Welcome to the Lair!
I got Bella from TN and flew her to VA. I didnt really care about her coloring I just wanted her to be with personality and the litter box!!! However when I am ready to get another nudie I def. want a seal point and black. I just love the jet black noses!! They are too cute!:Adore:

TotenEngel

Banned
I have 3 furry boys so wanted a boy kitten (Just dont think it would be fair putting a girl in the midst of it!!)
I was only 'vaguely' looking for a sphynxy kitten but saw my boy and fell for his markings! (I love ginger boys!! 2 of my DSHs are red tabbys!!)
I saw his picture on thursday, went to visit him on saturday and decided he had the right personality to fit in!
So, yes it was partly colour but if I had gone and seen him and he was too meek or mild I wouldnt have taken him!!!

Back