Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New to Raw diet need advice!

Helllo,

Elio and Gaia have been doing amazing together at my apt so far. The energy of Elio completely changed after reintroducing him to his sister!

But now I have questions on food as something odd is happening with the two of them. The lady I got the two sphynx from was not feeding a very high quality food, from my past sphynx I always thought that the best food is high in protein and grain free with the least amount of artificial ingredients. Because of that I was feeding them Taste of the Wild dry food which the breeder recommended. This is what I fed my first sphynx for 6 years and never had any issues.

Now however both of them have diarrhea and have had it for the past week. I've already been to the vet and had a fecal test done. results came back negative. They gave me a medication for diarrhea. The only other thing that could be causing this was the food. I know switching foods can and usually will cause this but Elio the male has been eating it for a few weeks now and its started with him recently.

I picked up Primal nuggets from healthy spot (chicken ) and have been slowly introducing that hoping to change. Gaia likes it, but Elio won't eat it at all! so strange because he is always begging me for food.

Now I am looking for a very high quality food that is generally easy to give to them but that might prevent their stomachs being upset! Is there any other brand that is good and trustworthy? so hard to choose with all the options!

Thanks for the help!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Helllo,

Elio and Gaia have been doing amazing together at my apt so far. The energy of Elio completely changed after reintroducing him to his sister!

But now I have questions on food as something odd is happening with the two of them. The lady I got the two sphynx from was not feeding a very high quality food, from my past sphynx I always thought that the best food is high in protein and grain free with the least amount of artificial ingredients. Because of that I was feeding them Taste of the Wild dry food which the breeder recommended. This is what I fed my first sphynx for 6 years and never had any issues.

Now however both of them have diarrhea and have had it for the past week. I've already been to the vet and had a fecal test done. results came back negative. They gave me a medication for diarrhea. The only other thing that could be causing this was the food. I know switching foods can and usually will cause this but Elio the male has been eating it for a few weeks now and its started with him recently.

I picked up Primal nuggets from healthy spot (chicken ) and have been slowly introducing that hoping to change. Gaia likes it, but Elio won't eat it at all! so strange because he is always begging me for food.

Now I am looking for a very high quality food that is generally easy to give to them but that might prevent their stomachs being upset! Is there any other brand that is good and trustworthy? so hard to choose with all the options!

Thanks for the help!
Hello, food change takes a few weeks at times to have their tummy adjust to it so poo may be runny for awhile, as long as there is no underlying issues (Giardia can give a false negative at times and most vets will treat a new kitten for it to be safe) you can try a bit of pumpkin (not the pie filler type) in their food, a tablespoon is usually recommended. :)

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's not unusual to have a different kind of food be rejected initially. You have to kind of use hunger as your ally in this. If somebody doesn't want to eat the primal nuggets, take it away and give nothing else. Then try again in a few hours.

Because smell is important to them, another thing you can do is crush some of the kibble and sprinkle it on the primal nuggets to make it smell like what they're used to. Or sprinkle tuna water or something they like on it. If you can get them to try the new food, there's a good chance they'll keep eating it.

But never starve them though.....so by 24 hours if somebody hasn't eaten, give them what they will eat. You can try again the next day.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Most kitties will also go for a little Parmesan sprinkled on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro