Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New to sphynx kitten questions

Shannonartsy

Lairian
Hello my name is Shannon and my boyfriend and I just recently put a deposit down on a beautiful 4wk old girl. Obviously we can't bring her home for a few weeks but I am curious about her markings and that she is quite fuzzy ( a lot more than I expected) her parents are Canadian sphynx and I got to meet both of them. I am curious to know how she will change as she gets older. Right now she has pretty distinct tabby markings and she is very dark in color. Like I said before she is fuzzy which I know is normal but will she loose her fuzz? Do the stripes usually stay? I'm new to the whole thing so any advice on this would be appreciated :)

Attachments

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shannonartsy hello and welcome.

Your cute little baby girl's stripes will stay with her no matter how little or how much fuzz she has because the stripes on from her skin, not on the fuzz/fur.

Being that you met both her parents, how fuzzy were they? Did you ask the breeder any questions about her fuzz?

My personal experience is that they get more fuzzy from the time they are babies until at least a year old. Weather and time of year also plays a part in the amount of fuzz. In the winter, I find that some of my sphynx get more fuzz around the hip areas and parts of their tail. When the Springtime comes around, the hip fuzz goes away and depending on when we start with the A/C, the tail fuzz might stay.

Shannonartsy

Lairian
Thank you for the response! Both parents were that suede type feeling i guess more peach fuzz type and the mom was more fuzzy on her face and tail the dad was not. I did ask the breeder he said that most of the kittens end up like the parents. It was pretty vague to me but I guess no one can really tell till they grow up lol.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shannonartsy you are welcome. There are never any guarantees whether you will have a fuzzy sphynx or not. My youngest boy has a hairy face, wiry furry back and full furry tail with tufts. Love him regardless. Can't compare a sphynx's personality to any ordinary furry cat.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shannonartsy this is an amazing breed and regardless of how much or how little fur/fuzz she has, you will be head over heels in love with her the first day she's home with you. Then that love will continue to grow. :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Aw, She's a doll baby. You will be very happy with
a Sphynx. There, is no animal like them.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. What an adorable girl you will get. Her stripes are gorgeous. As @GoldHazel said the stripes will stay. Most kittens get the amount of fur like their parents but you never know for sure. More furr or less furr...she is a beauty!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I am looking forward to watching her grow up here on the Lair.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Shannonartsy , welcome to the lair family!
Your girl is stunning ! Looking forward to your journey with us!
Keep us updated often and when your gotcha day is

Jump in and enjoy ! Ask away any question!
Sphynx Cat Help Center

Miss Beck

Lairian
Thanks all for the responses I got new pictures today! So excited for this little girl

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
She's adorable!
The nice thing about the fuzz is less oil & less bathing. My Prune is almost like a chamois or a newborn's head. She gets grimey, but not greasy of filthy. I give her a bath maybe every 3 weeks.
Her Peach fuzz gets thick on her face & rump in the winter. Someone described it like dryer lint fuzz. For P it's seasonal.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Beautiful...
I know your getting anxious...
Be sure and share gotcha day pics
with us. Plus, your gotcha day story.