Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New to the Sphynx Community!

LindsayFox

Lairian
Hi all,
I'm very new to the Sphynx community! I adopted Summer (a six year old, female Sphynx) yesterday. Any tips?

I noticed yesterday (the first day) she seemed very sad to have been rehomed. I put her on a cat bed yesterday and she didn't move for several hours, eyes open, but not moving. Now she's up and walking around, but hasn't seemed interested in the food or water I put out. She finally used the litter box about a half hour ago. About 10 minutes ago, she finally ate a treat that I left for her. She's starting to play with some toys I left out. Any tips on making her feel comfortable in a new home? I'm a little worried that she's not eating or drinking a little more, but I think she may still be nervous about being rehomed.

I've been reading quite a bit about the breed, but any information is welcome!

-Lindsay

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,
I'm very new to the Sphynx community! I adopted Summer (a six year old, female Sphynx) yesterday. Any tips?

I noticed yesterday (the first day) she seemed very sad to have been rehomed. I put her on a cat bed yesterday and she didn't move for several hours, eyes open, but not moving. Now she's up and walking around, but hasn't seemed interested in the food or water I put out. She finally used the litter box about a half hour ago. About 10 minutes ago, she finally ate a treat that I left for her. She's starting to play with some toys I left out. Any tips on making her feel comfortable in a new home? I'm a little worried that she's not eating or drinking a little more, but I think she may still be nervous about being rehomed.

I've been reading quite a bit about the breed, but any information is welcome!

-Lindsay
Hello and welcome @LindsayFox! It will take a few days to a week or so for her to settle in. Just let her get used to her surroundings and give her some space and love when she allows it. I'm sure she will be fine. please enjoy the community! :)

Pierre

Lairian
@LindsayFox welcome to you and Summer :)
There was a post similar not that long ago. If I find it I'll post the link or maybe @Catzzzmeow may know it? The post there also suggested trying different bowls. What do you use now? Are they nice and shallow?

It will probably take Summer a few days to settle in tho. My experience is slightly different as Pierre was 10 months when we rehomed him but it took him a few days. At first all he did was relax or cuddle up to us. After about 3/4 days he was like a new cat, running around, exploring etc.

Is she using the litter tray ok now? We ended up getting two (as suggested by members on here) as Pierre wouldn't use the same one for a no.1 & 2. He's fine now but we've kept both anyway :)

Keep everyone updated too, they are all fab on here and super helpful!!

Lainey

Lairian
I agree! It can take a few days...you can try getting a Feliway diffuser as the pheromone in there is calming. I also recommend two litter boxes. Congrats on your new girl!! :joyful:

LindsayFox

Lairian
Hi @admin, @Pierre, & @Lainey,

Thanks for the advice! Summer seems way more relaxed. She used the same litter box for pee and poo, so it doesn't seem to be a problem so far. I was looking into getting another litter box because a lot of the litter ended up outside of the box, but it seems like a good idea to have two on hand. The one she's using now is a small, shallow, blue box. Nothing special, just picked it up from the local pet store.

She woke me up around 6 this morning, so I opened a can of wet food for her, which she ate most of. One of her toys has catnip in it, so I think that helped her relax a little. She's been a bit more vocal too, she didn't make a noise on Monday, but yesterday and today there was a bit more meow-ing :)

Thanks for the quick responses!! I'll keep everyone updated.
Thanks for the warm welcome to the community :love:
-Lindsay

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@LindsayFox hello and welcome. :)

Do you know anything about Summer's background? Were you able to have any of her belongings when you adopted her? I'm glad she's coming around a bit. Please give her lots of love and attention. She will fall in love with you and know that you are her new parent.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Welcome! Glad to hear she is starting to come around a bit more. One thing I recommend to help with bonding is to put a blanket in the dryer and have her snuggle in with you at night when watching TV etc. she will no doubt associate warmth and love in your lap.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LindsayFox , welcoming you and Summer to the lair family! Happy Summer Gotcha !
Thank you for adopting :) opening your heart and home to sweet Summer.
Looking forward to pictures of Summer and fun tales :)

I have 4 adult adoptees - each kitty is different-
Lots of attention , The mentioned warm blanket is great . I added a few of his treats he came with on the blanket too. One adoptee took a little longer to settle in - slept a lot , didn't eat much for the first few days -
Then wow.. Like turning a switch a wild man talkative playful fun

Just continue giving Summer lots of love and go ar her own pace -

I set up an " adjusting room" like a your bedroom or spare bathroom all set up with her stuff food litter box etc
I put the extra litter box in the spare bathroom.

I would keep her om the same food amd litter she came with for awhile before making any major changes too
Down the road you can tweek it slowly .

Here is a good link we all refer to
Sphynx Cat Help Center

Lots of good reading and feel free to ask away any specific questions :)

Welcome

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
You've received great advice already.
Sounds like she's coming around. Each day will get
better.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair for you and Summer. As the others said it will take a few days (sometimes weeks when she an older cat) to get used to her new home and to feel relaxed.
If you have a pic to share we would love to see Summer!

LindsayFox

Lairian
I can't thank everyone enough for the support!! She's still getting spooked by sudden noises and won't cuddle for more than a few minutes at a time, but I can tell that only time will help her be comfortable here.
Her owner before mentioned that she has switched food a few times and isn't very picky. She finally started I have stock for a little over a week, but I'm looking into online delivery options. I didn't realize how heavy cat food & litter can get! I can see that being difficult to manage, especially in Manhattan. Hopefully this option will offer a more regular (and hopefully healthier than CVS options) food and litter supply. I'm glad to see that she's finally starting to eat/drink/use the litter box more than the first day.
The only belongings I have from her last home are two soft cat beds. She gravitates towards them.
I need to cut her nails soon, but I can't get close enough! They're very long, as evidenced by the very tiny cuts on my skin where she's climbed over me :cry:. I'll wait until she's more comfortable, but OW!

Thanks again for all of the support:kiss:

Here are some photos :D
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Wow she's a beauty. Love her whiskers. Such an adorable girl.
Hopefully you'll be able to cut her nails soon. But even with her nails cut...if she likes to jump on yoir back to sit on your shoulder like a parrot you better be prepaired to have a back full pf scratches. It marks us sphynx parents:).

bluejay1919

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She is so uniquely beautiful! I love her furry cheeks! Hang in there; we have a kitty we brought home that is 2-3 yrs old. We've had her just a little over 1 month. Luna hides under the bed during the day, coming out a few times for treats and pets and then comes out at night for full roaming of our home, to eat and go potty. She gets better every day. I'm sure yours will too. Your baby is mature and she has had alot of time to get use to something else, and now she has to get use to her new environment & family. She will get there. You've brought her home to love her forever. She knows she is in good, loving hands. I think animals can sense good energy

Looking forward to more pictures!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@LindsayFox have you taken her to the vet yet? The vet can initially help you with nail trimming to get you started and then after that, you can maintain the length each week by yourself. All you have to do is ask your vet.

To help reduce stress, I highly recommend Feliway Diffusers plugged in all around your place in The City. That will reduce her stress a great deal. Plug enough in all around....one near her litter box, one not far from where she eats and drinks, one not far from her bed(s). Just don't plug them in behind furniture. Make sure you buy the right one as they sell different kinds for different problems.