Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Newbie- Advice Needed

Hello all:

I am a new Sphynx mom to Genevieve who I picked up from the breeder four weeks ago. Prior to me picking her up, the breeder had told me she had an upper respiratory infection and asked if I minded that her spaying be delayed. I am not versed in when is the actual time to spay kittens but twelve weeks seemed early, which my vet agreed with. Fast forward to today and I have had Genevieve on a ten day course of two different antibiotics. When I took her to my regular vet within 72 hours of purchase, he prescribed dioxycline for ten days. I later took her to the vet where I intend to have her spayed, due to their type of sedation, and was prescribed another 10 day course of medicine. I used information I had seen in a post and requested that particular antibiotic. (I cannot spell the name, but the medicine is pink in color). I returned to the vet after a week and they prescribed me another two week course of medicine which I am to start today. In addition, they suggested testing her for Feline leukemia. I do not know if this is reasonable. I trust my regular vet because he does not perform tests unless necessary and I do not fear he is trying to increase my bill.

Genevieve throughout all of this has maintained an appetite and has had normal bathroom functions. Her sneezing has decreased, but she still is producing a sometimes colored mucous. Her eyes for the most part are not as watery and she is energetic.

I need advice on two fronts. Is this a normal amount of time for a small kitten to remain on medicine? Also, I feel like I should have a conversation with the breeder. It is not just about money, but I have experienced the additional expenses of two vet visits and medication. In actuality, I was sold a sick kitten that has not become well.

Thank you in advance for your support and advice.

Shannon

Your situation sounds quite similar to mine! I'm certainly not a veterinarian, but I have read up so much on the issues my boy has been going through, just because I first had a vet I didn't feel I could rely on. I'm on to my 3rd vet now, and finally feel confident I can trust them. It never hurts to get a second or even third opinion, and to ask as many questions as possible.

It does sound like a lot of medicine for such a young kitten to take, and as far as I know kittens shouldn't have doxycycline as it can affect their teeth?! Not sure if it's dental growth or discolouration, or both... Hoping more experienced members chime in!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We have seen many kittens in the community do great on Doxycycline and yes, some have needed a second round. If you read up on it, it covers a very large spectrum of issues and that is why it tends to be more successful than some antibiotics. It will not blacken their teeth...many fear that. If you read up on Doxycycline, the most common side effect if any is upset stomach and vomiting. When we first started doxy with our one girl who was a kitten, the vet shared that doxy is now recommended to be compounded as it is less harsh on the esophagus. If a vet prescribes pill form they say it is best to syringe water afterward because if the pill gets stuck it can eat away at the esophagus. Our vet said that is why he only prescribes the liquid/compounded form. Two of our babies as kittens were on doxy at some point. It is our go to med with any URIs now.

I think it is fair to call your breeder to discuss if they are willing to help with the bills. It’s always great to have open communication with a breeder as many are a wealth of information and experience as well as if there are any medical conditions that come up in the breeding cats, you have their history. @Genevieve723

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Genevieve723 ,healing vibes and head smooches to adorable Genevieve

Checking in for updates ?
Head smooches sent
Agree with the doxcycline being a great antibiotic . It worked for my crew when other antibiotics were not effective . I actually got a Walgreems family card thst can be used for pets too! My vet calls in the doxycline to the Walgreems pharmacy to help with costs .

Were you able to talk with your breeder ?