Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Newbie and New Sphynx Momma

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi, just wanted to quickly introduce myself and my handsome boy, Oogie. I've loved Sphynx for many years, I rescued a little girl named Princess about a year ago now, but at the time I wasn't in a position to keep a cat, so I found her a wonderful forever home. When I was able to purchase a home and finally give a cat a good home, I immediatly started looking for a Sphynx to call my own - I didn't want to buy a kitten from a breeder, as I knew there was a Sphynx out there that really needed the special love and care I could provide it. I got very very lucky and someone who knew I loved Sphynx refered someone to me that had my boy. He had a bad respitory infection, and the husband had just lost his job, they just couldn't afford the vet bills and upkeep on him any longer, so I quickly offered to take him in and give him a wonderful home. Oogie has only been with me a couple months, but I already feel as though he's always been in my life! He loves my dogs, and follows me around wherever I go in the house. He loves to sleep under the covers with me at night, and has been a big help to me. I have a chronic disease that causes extreme pain, Oogie seems to sense that, and when I'm having a bad way somehow he knows what hurts the worst and will lay on that part of my body to help me out - He's just an amazing cat! Now I'm searching for a 2nd rescue Sphynx to add to my family, but for now. Anyway, that's me and my charming gentleman of a cat!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Luvmysphynx,
and welcome to Sphynxlair! Im glad you chose to rescue a Sphynx, that is woderful, and I hope your quest to find another is good!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
That's a great story and I love the name Oogie!
please, make your self at home at Sphynxlair! and feel free to show us some pics of Oogie, we enjoy pictures here! There is an album area you will find on your profile page and a new "gallery" that has been added as well here for you to add pictures http://www.sphynxlair.com/gallery/index.php
Thanks and enjoy,
Admin

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome lovmysphynx, can't wait to see pics of Oogie...boy that name just makes me smile. Did you come up with it or what that his name originally?

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oogie's name was "Ugly" when I adopted him :( Wasn't keeping that - So I had to come up with something creative :) I'll try to post some pictures of him soon - He's quite a handsome guy!!!

He may be getting a new sister this weekend - I wasn't expecting to find another so soon, but I was looking around on Petfinder and just found one about 4 hrs away from me named Scarlett that's with Cornish Rex and Friends rescue in California - I've already started the adoption process!!!! Scarlett is 10 years, and I must admit, I have a soft spot for an older cat!!! It always saddens me when someone can live with a cat for so many years, and then when it starts getting older and slowing down, they dump it into a rescue or shelter :( Scarlett is just beautiful, here's the links to pictures the rescue sent me this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boska/3571741883/in/photostream/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/boska/3571737047/in/photostream/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/boska/3571726691/in/photostream/

Brooke

Banned
Luvmysphynx, Good luck with your next adoption... Crossing my fingers for you and Scarlett - she is adorable! I love the last pic with her mouth open, looks like she's got some attitude!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
She definitely looks like a sweetie! Good luck on your new venture!!:tinysmile_grin_t:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Very charming story. I like the name Oogie too. Very original. I hope you get Scarlett! Oogs might have a buddy. Or a mom, er both.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you all for your well wishes with Scarlett - I spoke with her foster mom today, and she's actually going to personally bring Scarlett to me from Glendale next weekend! I can't wait to meet her, I can't believe how quick this adoption is moving, I spent years researching and waiting for the right moment to adopt Oogie, with Scarlett I just feel as though it's just ment to be - I seldome check Petfinder, yet when I did, Scarlett just jumped out at me, and less then a month after deciding I wanted a 2nd Sphynx, Scarlett will probably be in my home, I would have never thought it would be this quick and easy to find another rescue sphynx! She does look like quite a character, according to her foster mom, she likes to protect her food bowl, and is quite the little feline Diva - Pretty good for a 10 year old lady! The more I hear about her, the more sure I am that she's the one for me, I'm so excited to meet her next weekend, and let the rescue do their home visit so we can make Scarlett's adoption official when I meet her next weekend!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you share your first meeting with her with us, I hope all goes well, just remember it takes a week or more when introducing a new kitty in the home especially when you have another kitty already.
Good luck!!!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Brooke

Banned
Scarlett is a very lucky girl to have you! Good luck with the into into your home. Good thing that sphynxes are pretty easy going when it comes to new environments, I'm sure she'll adjust pretty quickly. Congrats!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all for your well wishes with Scarlett - I spoke with her foster mom today, and she's actually going to personally bring Scarlett to me from Glendale next weekend! I can't wait to meet her, I can't believe how quick this adoption is moving, I spent years researching and waiting for the right moment to adopt Oogie, with Scarlett I just feel as though it's just ment to be - I seldome check Petfinder, yet when I did, Scarlett just jumped out at me, and less then a month after deciding I wanted a 2nd Sphynx, Scarlett will probably be in my home, I would have never thought it would be this quick and easy to find another rescue sphynx! She does look like quite a character, according to her foster mom, she likes to protect her food bowl, and is quite the little feline Diva - Pretty good for a 10 year old lady! The more I hear about her, the more sure I am that she's the one for me, I'm so excited to meet her next weekend, and let the rescue do their home visit so we can make Scarlett's adoption official when I meet her next weekend!

Luvmysphynx, I'm so glad to see that you are adopting Scarlett. She's been on the petfinders adoption list for a long time (I know this because I'm also a member of Yahoo's sphynx rescue group), so it's great that she'll finally get a wonderful forever home with you!

Speaking as someone who also adopted an older 9-year old rescue sphynx, I have a soft spot for the geriatric kitties, too. Just because a sphynx is older doesn't mean they don't have any life left in them! Piglet may be 9 years old, but she's just as active and spry as a 1-year old. She makes me laugh everyday with her antics! Being that she's in such good health, I expect to have many happy years with her. :tinysmile_grin_t: I wish the same for you and Scarlett, too!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
First off I cannot believe someone named Oogie "ugly" he is so handsome!! Next I really hope you get Scarlet, she definately needs someone who is going to love her on a forever basis and I think she found the perfect one.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Luvmysphynx, I'm so glad to see that you are adopting Scarlett. She's been on the petfinders adoption list for a long time (I know this because I'm also a member of Yahoo's sphynx rescue group), so it's great that she'll finally get a wonderful forever home with you!

Speaking as someone who also adopted an older 9-year old rescue sphynx, I have a soft spot for the geriatric kitties, too. Just because a sphynx is older doesn't mean they don't have any life left in them! Piglet may be 9 years old, but she's just as active and spry as a 1-year old. She makes me laugh everyday with her antics! Being that she's in such good health, I expect to have many happy years with her. :tinysmile_grin_t: I wish the same for you and Scarlett, too!
Well, it's not official yet, but I'm counting down the days to meet her! They foster mom I spoke with on the phone is coming to Vegas this weekend and is bringing Scarlett with her to meet me and Oogie, if all goes well, she'll be made a premanent member of the family! I don't mind at all taking in an older cat - Sure, the time you have the cat may be shortened, but the time you do have with them is so rich! The oldies have a special way of thanking you for giving them a chance! Scarlett is just a beautiful girl, I can't wait to see how the meeting with her goes this weekend!!!

As for Oogie - Definatly not an ugly cat! He's one cool kitty, and he knows it! My petsitter adores him, because he's SOOOO outgoing with everyone, nobody is allowed in the front door of my house without saying hello to him - He will not be ignore LOL He's been amazing, and made me totally fall for Sphynx - And being a rescue, it makes him all the more special, as I know Scarlett will be if/when she becomes a permanent member of my household!!!

Back