Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Newish Sphynx Cat Owner

Hi everyone!
So, I got a sphynx kitten back in June. And well, I have learned that these cats are quite... grimey. SUPER LOVEY.. SUPER GRIMEY.. at least mine is. I have some questions about em or maybe just more so looking for shared experience...

1. I give her a bath and she’s dirty the next day, I don’t even know how she’s getting so dirty. I keep my apartment very clean. I assume it’s her body oils and using the litter box and sometimes going behind tv stand and stuff where dust may accumulate... I did order a new wash from someone on Etsy who specializes in sphynx stuff - what I've been using is what my breeder recommended which is Burt's Bees baby shampoo, and then also dawn dish soap... anyway hoping this new wash that I have coming will help this problem or at least slow the oil production. Do you guys have any specific washes you recommend?? She is not VISIBLY oily or oily to the touch, but yeah... bringing me to my next point anyway ..
  2. She likes to sleep in my bed with me at night and she leaves a giant oil stain wherever she lays. This is how I know she’s maybe over producing oil or something. I mean, you guys..... she actually ruined a pair of my light colored sheets that I couldn’t wash the stains out of, which I have since replaced with black sheets LOL (Smart, I know). She’s completely stained several areas of the light colored cat scratcher trees and my couch has tons of stains but at least my couch is dark color. I wipe the couch sometimes w baby wipes and yep.. the wipes come up brown.. do your cats stain everything??
  3. Her nail beds, and nails themselves, get a layer of black grime on them and it’s really hard to clean and get it off. The only way I can manage to get most of it off is with my own nails scraping it off, pretty gross...I also try to do it in the bath (which she straight up hates baths-so it’s difficult) but even in the bath it doesn’t seem to help soften it much..so I cant just wipe it off. Why doesn’t she clean her nails herself. Is this typical for the breed?? My other cat (fur cat) cleans her nails herself. Is it something she doesn’t do because she’s still a kitten? Do yours clean their nails? What can I do to make this easier... also, sometimes it seems like some of her nails aren’t shedding correctly. Like they look thickish and not coming to a sharp point. That is probably a whole other conversation .. but is this a breed thing?
  4. Her litter box habits are... interesting... disgustingly interesting. For some reason, sometimes her poop is kind of soft... I’ve been feeding her this pumpkin supplement that seems to help.. and I am considering trying to switch up her food and see what happens ... but anyway, 8 times outta 10 after she takes a crap she has a little piece of poop still stuck on her butt and well she doesn’t seem to try to clean it right away and will run around all crazy right after taking a crap and yeah well you can imagine... now whenever I’m home and I see her taking a crap I wipe her right after with a baby wipe to get the remaining poo off. It’s so gross. Oh also, she occasionally full on steps in her crap. My fur cat hasn’t ever done anything like this, ever. Even when she was a kitten. Is this a breed thing or mine is just a cat w nasty poo probs lol
  5. She gets these eye jelly boogers. I read that it’s normal. They are typically clear. Sometimes reddish tint to them which I think might be the oil from her skin?? I don’t know. But what she does when they build up (and I’m not around to wipe it for her) is shakes her head really fast as if she’s got water on her and the eye jelly stuff flings all over the place - my walls... floor... furniture...at first I couldn’t figure out wtf was going on until I finally put two and two together. Whyyyyy tho. Do yours do this???

Sorry for all the questions. I just am looking for any advice or tips you may have from your experience with these cats

She is the most lovey creature I’ve ever met and it really does make up for all her grimeyness ... I just want to find out some ways to maybe reduce the grime and get a good routine in place

thanks loves!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@michiemarie Welcome to Sphynxlair!!! Often they get dirty overnight if they have not been fully rinsed. A good rule of thumb is rinse completely and then rinse again. If they are not fully rinsed they turn brownish orangey especially u set armpits and the chest/neck area...the hardest to rinse.

I use the following shampoo. A little goes a long way and you need to rinse really well.

Yes the hunky nails are a breed thing. It is the wax building up. Here is a good video on nail clipping/cleaning Clipping your Sphynx cat nails.

Poop foot and poop tail are also talked about frequently in here...lol. I know it can be gross. As far as eye boogers, yep another Sphynx thing. The color you mention is normal. If it is yellowish/greenish it can mean an infection...reddish/orange you mention is normal and we are all scraping them off floors and walls. I have read the boogers are from lack of hair around the eyes like furry cats have.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Here is a section of the community you might find helpful Sphynx Cat Help Center

This is a friendly community and no question is crazy. We are all happy to help and learn from others.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@michiemarie[/USER] , welcome to the lair family ! What is your babies name ? Hope you can share pics!
Look forward to your journey with us

Several of us use Hylyt shampoo -
I t's soap free , hypo allergenic easy rinse . My vets office carries it or I get it at chewy online .
I found if I bath them more than omce a month my 4 will get grimey - you want their skin to do its natural thing too
I switched from dawn to the d,grease - just a tad along with Hylyt shampoo.
D'grease really needs to be rimse well or they get grimey

I discovered they got reeeally grimey on Acana cat food - grease balls leaving stains on my sheets -
I switched foods , use Hylt shampoo and I can have white sheets again!
Domt laugh ... Krud cutter , nom toxic , I sprayed on my sheets to launder and they came out perfect!
Now with the change of food and less bathing with wipe downs in between I don't have the staining st all on my sheets ! Ah!
For in between spa days for wipe downs I put a teeny few drops in a big pitcher of warm water and baby face cloths . I didn't find baby wipes as effective for my wrinkly girl

Nail gunk - I use walmarts makeup remover wipes for nail gunk -
Nail Gunk /makeup remover wipes
alcohol free. Scent free -
No skin reactions on my 4 nakids -
I am sure to gentle push the floss of skin around the nail bed to check for any hidden gunk

I learned they get gunky ears and eye boogers because of lack of ear fur and eye lashes .
I keep Vetericyn VF eye drops on hand . I get online .

Another discovery - read hairball formulas are good for firming stool.
For treats I use Science diet urninary hairball formula -
Nutrisource cst and kitten food (no recalls ) and he urinary hairball as treats and T/D kibble fro, the vet for dental treats .

If any head shake boogers- I use those mr clean magic eraser basic plain pads - worked fine on white painted drywall or the molding near his fav cat scratcher on the floor .

No apologies for questions needed - we all learn and share and grow together on the sphnyx journey, we all he,p each other for the love of nakids !

Look forward to lots of pics and tales!

Attachments

Last edited: