Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Newlyweds looking to adopt in Nashville

sarralewis

Lairian
My husband and I are long time sphynx lovers and follow tons of them on social media just to have them inserted into our daily lives (even if at a distance)

We currently have a spayed 4-5 year old tabby that is a constant talker and a bit mischievous so we think she may be ready for a friend too.

We are both fully prepared and have researched the extras that comes with ownership, and we are not opposed to a retired breeder. We also do not care about papers, breed rights, etc as we have zero interest in breeding. We just want to have a naked kitty join the family.

We are just north of Nashville, but we wouldn't be opposed to a little road-trip to bring someone home.

Please keep us in mind if you make the tough decision to rehome your friend, or if you are or know a breeder looking to retire a working guy or gal for a simpler life.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpeg
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 24

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sarralewis welcome, to the lair family ! Woo Hoo! congratulations! A lair full of best wishes amd all paws crossed the Sphynx stars align!
Your tabby is adorable sitting there wearing for a nakid bestie ! (name ? ) sounds like a purrfect companion for a sphynx

Stay active here - several of us have adopted from members
Be sure to read the fraud link - it was a valuable resource when I adopted outside the lair .

Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch with us while the sphynx stars align and beyond :)

You can also contact reputable breeders for a retiree - I never knew that was an option so wanted to share I adopted a cuddly healthy retiree

Keep us updated often
Check out the help center for lots of great threads to prep for Sphynx life :)

Bless you for looking to adopt :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair! Congratulations on your marriage and looking to start your future with a hairless wonder. Looking forward to seeing you become an active member. We have seen several people join the community before they got their baby just to learn even more about this amazing breed.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sarralewis Congratulations on your marriage

All paws crossed the Sphynx stars along for you yours and Kitty Kitty!
Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch while the stars align .

Lots of great threads to prep for gotcha day and beyond!

Look forward to updates
Bless you for all the love and care to Kitty Kitty - surely a purrfect companion for a Sphynx

sarralewis

Lairian
Thanks all!! Our little Tabby is KittyKitty but said quickly and high pitched it’s more like “Key-Key” and the photo is her waiting at the front door after hearing my husbands car alarm lock.
She greets him every day by squawking and chirping at him.

I have alerts on a few sites to let me know when sphynx within 250 miles pop up. There’s a rescue in Lebanon, Tn that has a few but they’re in a long court battle with the owners of the puppy/kitty mill and have no timeline on when they’ll be available. And I frequent Craigslist and local Facebook pages for rehoming pets.

I never thought it would take so much work to find an an adult cat! Kittens from breeders are easy to find. Adults, not so much! I’m hoping the connections I make through here can help us.

Yoda mom

Staff member
A good resource for adult rehomes are reputable breeders . I waited s few months for gotcha day . She was spayed all shots , papered amd HCM scanned . Raised underfoot amd is the most cuddly healthy spunky girl

Feel free to PM any ads you are lookimg out so I can help chime in with any obvious red flags . Be extra careful with ads - lots of fraud copy pasting pics etc
Western union , always seems a death in family story are two common big red flags .
Be sure to check the fraud link for tips -

I did get Toby off a Hoobly ad in a quick adoption after my first Sphynx passed away suddenly months later the same gal posted the exact same rehome reasons for another mail and duped the person looking to adopt him.

I will PM a rescue link too

Keep us updated often !

sarralewis

Lairian
I just reached out to a few breeders in our area. One had a 3 year old male odd eye for $1000, but she told me his name is Bowie and I turned her down.

I know it’s odd but I told her thank you for your time but I lost a kitty named Bowie and he was the apple of my eye so I couldn’t have another Bowie.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sarralewis awh ((hugs)))
My avatar pic Yoda passed away years ago - when I adopted in her memory and honor shortly after - I got the chills .. One of the two littermate brothers I adopted had the same name Yoda -

The right one will find you (((hugs)))

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just want to share some experience about cats without papers. I really don't know how it works in the US but where I live you don't get full insurance for the cat if it's missing the paperwork. I learned this the hard way, but the girl I adopted had to stay anyway because I was in love already. She ended up costing me lots and lots since she had a fair amount of vet visits during her life at our house. I wouldn't have done it any other way, but now I know better. Just so you know what you're getting into. Maybe the terms are totally different for you. I can't wait to hear all the exciting news if you find your new family member. Good luck!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@sarralewis you seem like you've done your research but I'll add my tidbit anyway in case it helps. I've been adopting adults for a long time. My first were a Siamese pair and now I'm up to 3 Sphynx the latest of which I just got 3 days ago.

So here a few additional places to search:

1. Breeders might advertise adoptable adults here:
FBRL Retired Friends: Breed and Summary List
To be honest I've never seen a Sphynx listed but it's worth a look once in a while.

2. The best way to find out when a retired breeder is available is to contact breeders and let them know you are looking. Some breeders have a pretty good idea when they're going to put one up for adoption. Retired breeding cats are still quite young, say 2-3 years old. This is because breeding cats are kept in cages (understandable so they don't just breed left and right) but good breeders adopt them out sooner than later so they can have a more fulfilling life.

3. You can also check breeder web sites and sometimes they will have a page where they list available adults.

4. Go to cat shows and talk to breeders. You never know what they might have available, and if nothing else they will remember you for when one does come available.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Just wanted to add on that not all breeder cats are kept in cages .
Many breeders set up their homes for breeder kitties with "boys and girls " areas , free roaming and with adults and kittens underfoot .
I adopted the most outgoing over cuddly retired breeder .

Keep us updated on your search
All paws crossed the Sphynx stars align soon

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Just wanted to add on that not all breeder cats are kept in cages .
Many breeders set up their homes for breeder kitties with "boys and girls "

Ok I didn't know. I've just seen the cages and the breeders said they would give the cats turns getting out... It might be girls, then mommas with kittens, then boys. The boys in a cattery aren't neutered so that's a challenge because they spray.

sarralewis

Lairian
@Zab Insurance here (in my experience) depends on preexisting conditions. So our family dachshund had surgery for IVDD making him ineligible for anything affordable or that would cover any future bills for said condition.
Otherwise if the animal has a clear wellness check within 30 days of seeking coverage you’re good.

I’m actually finding that a handful of breeders want MORE for their adults than a kitten, even if you’re taking them as altered. Which really surprises me. We aren’t aren’t opposed to a fee, but we aren’t rich by any means. And forgive me for seeming possibly uneducated but $3500 seems steep.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@sarralewis wow 3500 is steep! I don’t know exactly about the prices in the USA but this seems way too much.
Here a kitten goes for 800-1000 euro. I have a retired breeder cat (female) and I paid a little less for her as for a kitten but not much less.

Hopefully members from the usa can share what is reasonable price. For 3500 you can buy 2 kittensin the Netherlands and fly here to get them yourself and still would have money left;-)

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
$3500 is high. It’s not unusual to see $2500-$2800 with breeding rights. It takes time, but if your patient the right cat will come along.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Even kittens are usually $1600-2000. Adults should definitely be much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sarralewis
My adult adoptees $250 , ''$450 ,$600
The most expensive was the a retired breeder who came papered, HCM scanned , shots ,
A fraction of her orginal imported price the breeder paid .

Personally I think $3500 is steep

Many kitties here are $250 or no rehoming fee

Stay active and positive - check here often , they go quickly to forever homes

The right one will find you

sarralewis

Lairian
I just wanted to keep my thread active in case anything happens to come up.

We are still hopeful and looking, just obviously have no leads or I’d have posted a big-ugly-crying photo of me with our dream cat.

There’s a rough looking fellow in Cincinatti up on a few sites today, but we are unable to go up there as we are car-hunting this weekend. I’m just taking it as a sign that it wasn’t meant to be with him and there’s a better match for him out there!

sarralewis

Lairian
Still hopeful!

Been putting the word out to breeders in our area. Getting a lot of “I don’t have any right now, but when I do they’re $1000-3000”

I’m almost resigned to getting a kitten just to fulfill my dream but I so desperately don’t want to struggle through kitten phase and the few I have come across on Craigslist scream “SCAM” so I haven’t reached out.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Still hopeful!

Been putting the word out to breeders in our area. Getting a lot of “I don’t have any right now, but when I do they’re $1000-3000”

I’m almost resigned to getting a kitten just to fulfill my dream but I so desperately don’t want to struggle through kitten phase and the few I have come across on Craigslist scream “SCAM” so I haven’t reached out.

I hear you. Kittens are cute but I’d way rather have an adult adoptee. Stay vigilant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back