Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nicked Raw Chicken and now has Diarrhea

If Missy needs a vet, we will certainly take her to the vet! Missy is on a raw fed diet, she get's chicken, turkey, beef and occasionally pork . I get ground meat, or I will cup up chicken breast, and mix it was TC Feline's premix, but we are switching her over to the "Better in the Raw" premix (She has NOT had any of the new food yet though, though she might have managed to lick up some drops of spillage when I was making a new batch of food to freeze. So she's on her normal food.)

Last night was a HIGHLY stressful day for my household. Due to an emergency I could barely be home all day so she was alone most of it. I came back to feed her, scoop the litter box and managed to make and start freezing some new batches of raw food when her current one runs out. She managed to nick half a raw chicken breast off the counter and run away and eat a lot of it. She eats lots of raw chicken though, but in the premix having been previously frozen and thawed. She had this chicken at about 9:00-10:00.

I couldn't be home for the night due to the emergency, and my husband wasn't home until 2:00 in the morning. It was a HUGE break of routine for her. I finally got in at 7:30 in the morning the next day and fed her breakfast. I noticed at this point the smell and found a very runny poop. She's had runny poop all day since, and I can hear her little tummy gurgling. Otherwise, she seems fine. She's eating normally, She doesn't seem lethargic or anything, she's peeing normally. All of her business is in the litter box, no accidents. She's even pooping in her "poop preferred" litter box, doesn't appear to be in pain. She is not shy about peeing outside the box if she's upset, or doesn't like the box, or is in pain. She's cuddly to me, but she's always been fairly cuddly so it's hard for me to judge if this is "more" than normal (I'd say she's a bit more needy). She's had a runny poop before, this after nicking something she shouldn't have (ususally dairy) but it clears up in a few poops. This is the most runny poops she's ever had, and still hasn't cleared since this morning.

I was wondering if anyone could help me determine what might be causing it, and if she needs a vet. Could it be the stress of the emergency yesterday and my inability to be there for her most of the day? Or is it more likely the huge chunks of chicken breast she nicked not agreeing with her system? Also, I have Lysine powder I used when she first came home as recommended by here and the vet. Should I start giving her some now? Any advice welcome please

EDIT: She just threw up a little. I can't set up an appointment, it's the middle of the night but going to get one as soon as I can tomorrow morning for the Vet. I don't want to mess around with my baby. Nothing in her vomit, just seems like bile. Still active happy normal looking Missy. Anyone with advice or insight would be greatly appreciated, but either way I'll keep this updated in case it helps someone else.

Last edited:

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What is the source for the chicken? A lot of times if it is purchased from a human store it has been out a bit and collected extra bacteria. Sometimes that can cause the stomach upset.

I would agree with going to the vet tomorrow. Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Diarrhea has disappeared overnight, nothing this morning, totally chipper and normal. I'm gonna keep an eye on it, but don't think I'll do the vet just yet now.

A little gassy though. I'm starting to think it was the stress what set her off. I get most of my meat from the local butcher, the chicken breast is from a grocery store though. I have a friend who's father works in meat though, and gives thumbs up to the chicken there. Doesn't necessarily mean anything. That's why I like to rinse my chicken and make sure it's frozen awhile before Missy gets it...just in case. This I didn't get to freeze first.

EDIT: On closer inspection, the "gassy farts" are from the humans, not Missy at all. That was a little embarrassing...

Last edited:

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Freezing food doesn't kill bacteria (e coli, etc).

Stick to frozen meats that have always been kept frozen. The refrigerated case at the grocery store is fine for foods that you are going to cook but not feed raw.