Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Night and Day Difference

Gary

Lairian
So I have been lurking the forums for a few months to try and find advice for different issues my 7 month old kitten Yoda has been having (and there have been ALOT of issues...lol but thankfully they've mostly all been fixed) One of the biggest was his constant mushy bordering on the line, and often times past the line, of diarrhea no matter what type of kibble/wet food he would try from Friskies to Royal Canine etc. Vet recommended the Hills w/d fiber food which really helped the most out of all the other kind of regular kibble/wet food combos I tried and produced pretty solid poop about 85% of the time. I had him on it for a months or so but it says it was recommended for weight loss/weight maintenance and I was worried he wasn't getting enough food in him despite me feeding him well over the recommended amounts. The ingredients were pretty horrible too and basically just tons of vegetables and meat byproducts but hey IT WORKED. After reading up on here about raw diets and different peoples success stories for kittens with mushy/stinky poop I decided what the heck might as well give it a try. Purchased some Stella and Chewy Duck Duck Goose and solid picture perfect poop for the last month usually about once a day and ZERO smell. I have to say raw really does work for those kitties with sensitive stomachs/digestive issues, at least it did for my kitty, and I would whole heartedly recommend it to anyone who feels they've tried everything and can't seem to find anything that works.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi Gary,

Thanks for coming out of lurk-mode. And giving props to raw. It's not for everyone, but when it is... yeah, it's awesome!

Do you want to tell us a little about Yoda? Or post some pics?

Cheers.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Gary , so glad you jumped in to be an active member with this fun friendly bunch :)
Your experience woth Yoda and what worked is definitely helpful to members - thank you

Omg my Aussie loves stella amd chewy s duck duck goose!
I will have to keep your feedback on the kitty version in mind for my kitties!

Look forward to pics and tales of Yoda !
Welcome to the lair family :)

Gary

Lairian
Here’s a few pics of him. He’s currently 7 months old.

2B30D217-0696-4E0A-AEB2-CA53F6F3A05C.jpeg
7C2C26EC-1DA1-4ADF-B6C5-3AB4A4135D56.jpeg
97D8571B-09E3-41F9-8B49-8314161B2A5D.jpeg
5C8BD08F-4CB0-4451-B1CB-33661B7C6A98.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Gary
Keep the adorable pics of Yoda coming !

We would also love to know "Yoda" approved products - shampoo, ear cleaner etc :)
Always useful to members
We all learn and grow together

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh my goodness. Yoda is gorgeous. He looks huge!!! What a beauty. And yes, @Toa and Ross has a lovely elfin girl named Jade! Might be love at first sight!

Gary

Lairian
@Gary , is this the Stella and chewy duck duck goose ?
How much do you feed a day amd how often ?

View attachment 85869

Yes, that's the one I feed him. I usually feed him about 3 times a day. 1/2 to 2/3 a cup in the morning around 8am. Another 1/2 to 2/3 at 5pm then about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup around 10 or 11pm. Weekends He usually eats a bit more 4-5 times but smaller meals.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Gary
Thank you for the feeding tips too!

(I called the k9cuisine rep tonight -( down to earth service always by the same person answering the phone to help - small town feel amd really go the extra mile )
They carry the Stella and Chewys chicken.

She checked and is updating their site to stock the duck duck goose for me to order
Thank you for the advise! Hoping my picky boy Batman will like it !
He is impossible with getting him to eat anything wet !

Gary

Lairian
@Gary, let us know if Yoda has tried the other Stella amd Chewy flavors ?
Which is a fav?

Hi, sorry for not replying been busy last few days. I have not tried any other flavors but did just order the smallest size of the turkey one to possibly try.

@Gary welcome to sphynxlair. Yoda is a very handsome and adorable boy.

My elf girl Jade feels a little bit shy and embarrashed because of the shout out of @Yoda mom and @Xandria, but she must admit Yoda is very handsome. So a special hi from her to Yoda

View attachment 85880

Wow, pretty girl. She might be even bigger than Yoda is, although he's still a kitten. How old is she?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Gary , look forward to Yoda's review of the Stella and chewy s turkey
If you don't mind me asking can you tell me where you order from?
Always like to have an alternative in case the source I buy from from is out of stock and need to get during hurricane season extra bags of food
Head smooches sent

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hi, sorry for not replying been busy last few days. I have not tried any other flavors but did just order the smallest size of the turkey one to possibly try.

Wow, pretty girl. She might be even bigger than Yoda is, although he's still a kitten. How old is she?

Jade looks big on the pictures but she is really tiny. Yesterday people who saw her thought she was still a young kitten:). My sphynx boys are twice her size! She's 4 years old!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Toa and Ross , my Claire bare is a tiny little thing with a lion heart :) just like a permanent kitten with the daintiest feet
Toby love , he is on the small short tank like size ,
Batman and Yoda are big tall boys !

Head smooches sent!

Chilly Willy

Lairian
So I have been lurking the forums for a few months to try and find advice for different issues my 7 month old kitten Yoda has been having (and there have been ALOT of issues...lol but thankfully they've mostly all been fixed) One of the biggest was his constant mushy bordering on the line, and often times past the line, of diarrhea no matter what type of kibble/wet food he would try from Friskies to Royal Canine etc. Vet recommended the Hills w/d fiber food which really helped the most out of all the other kind of regular kibble/wet food combos I tried and produced pretty solid poop about 85% of the time. I had him on it for a months or so but it says it was recommended for weight loss/weight maintenance and I was worried he wasn't getting enough food in him despite me feeding him well over the recommended amounts. The ingredients were pretty horrible too and basically just tons of vegetables and meat byproducts but hey IT WORKED. After reading up on here about raw diets and different peoples success stories for kittens with mushy/stinky poop I decided what the heck might as well give it a try. Purchased some Stella and Chewy Duck Duck Goose and solid picture perfect poop for the last month usually about once a day and ZERO smell. I have to say raw really does work for those kitties with sensitive stomachs/digestive issues, at least it did for my kitty, and I would whole heartedly recommend it to anyone who feels they've tried everything and can't seem to find anything that works.

I’m totally going to have to try the Duck Duck Goose! I just got the chicken and turkey flavor, but I want to try the other. Chilly wouldn’t touch the chicken and turkey flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary

Lairian
76D10EAF-4E93-47F5-9D56-0E9B3E26CD87.jpeg
FB73026A-1E4C-457F-8C73-373F013903B1.jpeg
B37B902D-6783-4FA9-A4EC-B71890181C77.jpeg
99385432-D7E6-4AFA-9746-B44D131FD57B.jpeg
@Gary , hello :)
is the Chewy and Stella s turkey a hit ?
Which does he prefer ?

Hi sorry he prefers the duck duck goose but he'll eat pretty much anything. I haven't found a food he doesn't inhale. Also wanted to add that if you're using the freeze dried make sure you are mixing in enough water... Had a bit of issue with tiny amount of red blood on outside of his poop randomly a week or so ago that gave me little scare. Turned out he was not getting enough water :(. I don't know why but he has all but stopped drinking water normally out of his water bowl. Not sure if it has to do with the fact that I am mixing water into his food and he thinks he is drinking enough or what but yeah... Now I make sure to really put in a good cup or two of water with his food (more like soup now lol) so that he drinks the water first and then eats the hydrated food. It fixed the blood issue and his poop went from crumbling dust to normal consistency.

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is correct - due to the high water content in raw and canned food they don't feel thirsty. Lack of water is the main problem with kibble. Some cats have chronic dehydration and their human are blissfully unaware.

To check how hydrated they are, pinch the skin above the neck and slightly pull up. It should fall flat as soon as you let go. If it takes a few seconds to flatten out again it means there's some level of dehydration. Should see a vet in case they need subq fluid which is inexpensive to administer; otherwise it can lead to much worse problems.

One more thing is you can check if they're peeing several times a day....that tells you they're getting hydrated. It amazes me when I'm out all day and then I come home, and both litter boxes are full of pee balls....I don't know how 2 little cats can pee that much but it's good :)

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando – Yes, all those pee balls in the litter box! LOL.Unless extenuating circumstances are at play, I'm always happy to know that it is unlikely they will have any urinary tract infections or bladder issues.

I still give them fresh water daily, and Max likes to do whatever we do – so he likes to help himself to Hubby's glasses of water throughout the day and evening! It's kind of adorable.

Back