Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nipping

Beckinboots

Lairian
Hi all

Not sure if I actually posted a question about this or just thought about it, anyhoo I've searched my history and can't find it so assume I didn't. (Apologies if this is a repeat)

Does anyone have experience with their sphynx biting for no reason? Rankle has started nipping bare skin whilst we are in bed. He got my husband in a very sensitive place last week, which was hilarious to me until he bit the top of my thigh. He only goes for bare skin so I'm covering up in bed now but my husband won't and he got bitten again last night. Rankle is a year and a half old and we've had him for about a month. He seems very content and has fitted in well with our other cats and dog. I have read that sometimes they nip because that's how they would encourage milk from their mum but I can't see any mother putting up with how hard he's doing it. My thigh has puncture marks and a bruise all shades of pretty.

Can anyone give any advice on how we can stop this behaviour or shed any light on why he might be doing it?

Thanks in advance

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Ouch for you and ouch for the husband!
Catbites can be pretty nasty so take care of the bites. You don't want to get an infection.

My girl Foxy did bite a lot (and hard but never so hard there was bleeding, "only" toothmarks). She was trying to suckle and nip but didn't know how. Was already so with her catmom. She tried to suckle but did bite so hard her mom refused her. She even had a hard time with the bottle as the breeder told me. Biting way too hard!:).
Maybe it's the same with Rankle.
I always said loudly "ouch!" and told her "no". This helped for a while but she would always start again.

So...hope other members with better advice chime in!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Lol...Ochi is our nipper. He especially loves to nip me under the covers in the morning. Many a time my thighs and butt have been nipped while I am surfing in bed with my iPad propped up against my knees. I have woken hubby up with my yelp lol. I know he is just anxious and waiting for me to make my move to give them food.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots , ouch!
Be sure to keep wounds clean and monitor
@Xandria can share her experience

Nippers here too .. when I blow dry my hair
I give a stern ahh amd tap on nose but ... They still get me

@Catzzzmeow wondering if an indirect canned air squirt would help ?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ah ha! I did a quick search on the forums and I've mentioned the same thing a few times. Forgive if I copy and paste from another thread:

I just want to add that we had Max only for some time (just under a year). His manner of play was always very intense no matter how often we played with him. At night time he would come to bed and "Viper" – strike out at us. Most of the time he was a wonderful affectionate kitty.

Then we decided to add another Sphynx to our home so that Max would have a companion that could play their type of games. Sure enough, they bonded very quickly and Max instantly stopped playing so aggressively with us.

Perhaps another cat is something to consider at some point. But definitely play the mommy right now.

Hopefully that helps!

Beckinboots

Lairian
@Xandria -we got Rankle as a playmate for our young Siamese, Dajjal who was driving our older moggies crazy. The two younger ones have started playing together in the evening but they are both very dominant so I think it will take some time for them to settle into a pattern.

@Yoda mom & @Catzzzmeow - if it continues I may try the canned air. I get that everywhere should be a safe haven for them but I work long and very odd hours most of the year and need to know that I won't be woken up by a cat biting me. Hopefully he'll have stopped doing it by survey season when my weird hours start.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My new family member Esso is a nipper too. Often it occurs after some petting. Maybe he gets overstimulated? I just put my forefinger against his head and say NO! Then I don't give him any attention for a while. I've been thinking if he just likes to bite things because he is changing his teeth? I don't know... I hope this will stop with time.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I repurposed my dog's firehose material toy and put it by the bed lol
I redirected to the toy - it did help with the number of play love nips .

@Zab Toby can get over stimulated too from petting - so I watch his body language ear set look in his eyes and tail ! @Zab like you a stern "No"
So funny be side I started telling him isn't end "Toby Loooove"
Now I can say "Toby Love"and he comes for gentle head smooches and kisses closing his eyes in delight ij purring . He was most nippy when he was an adolescent