Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

No Sleep.....

sassyskye79

Lairian
My little kitty has developed some bad habbits! She wakes up in the middle of the night and wants to snuggle...She is not alowed in the bed anymore cause she jumps in and out all night (on our heads & nightstand) and we get no sleep. So now she just will come to my side and meow till I get up and take her into her bed and lay with her. Most of the time I am so tired I end up sleeping with her. I try to just put her in bed then go back to mine but does not always work...there she is again....

I feel like I have to keep her up from the moment I get home from work so she will sleep threw the night..but hello I do have a life...arg..I don't have a cat I have a toddler!

Any suggestions?????????

susi794

Staff member
Buy her some electrical toys--like Manic Mouse--I used to call it the "babysitter". They are very needy when they are little. That's why two cats are better. I don't let most of my cats sleep with me for the very same reason about not getting any sleep. Why don't you just put her out and close the door? If she gets what she wants by meowing to you so you will go sleep with her, you are creating a monster. LOL Good luck,
Susi and the gang

sassyskye79

Lairian
If I lock her out she scratches at door...
she is a little monster. LOL I love her though! I guess I just need a little more tough love....

susi794

Staff member
She'll eventually give it up if you ignore it. She'll consider it wasted effort if it doesn't get er what she wants. Tough love ! They want what they want--and don't like to be denied. LOL...most of the time, I give in too, but not the bed. I need to be able to sleep sometime.

KushielsTart

Lairian
This situation is exactly what led us to adding a second kitten. Then when they wanted to play in the middle of the night they had each other. :) They still woke us up occasionally, either wanting attention or making a lot of noise chasing each other around, but no where near as bad as before!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree with Susi. Stay strong. It is easier to mold the behavior of a kitten than it is to break a bad habit of an adult.

Having a kitten wanting to play at night and the ultimate lack of sleep for mom/dad seem to be a big reason why people get a second Sphynx. Hmmm do I sense a new Sphynx Lair poll?

Last edited:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the rest if you really want a good night sleep and she is keeping you up you have to close the door and do not give in.
I guess we are lucky because most of the time ours just curl up next to me and sleep all night if they do get up they are quiet, the only time they wake us is when Athena is pregnant and then she will not let Leo next to her and they fight under the covers:Surprise:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Dinka is 4 month old and he wakes me up around 4 AM wanting to nurse me. I take him to his own room (a large master closet) where his bed, food and water is and I shut the door. So far he hasn't scratched at the door. I get my sleep and he is fine in his room.:Smile:

MikkiJean

Lairian
I guess I'm lucky. Lexi is usually a little rambunctious whenI first get in bed, but once she settles in she sleeps and cuddles throughout the night. With my furry kitty though he was different. Some nights he got to sleep and bed and others he doesn't. If he was hyper at first that meant he wouldn't ever calm down and he slept in the living room... but if he was sweet and cuddly he got to stay. Right now he's in the living room all the time because him and Lexi are still separated.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think you and her just need some time to get straightened out. She'll eventually succumb to you wishes.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I agree with the census, if your not getting any sleep then close the door. After a while she will knock it off and quit scratching. They are exactly toddlers and you have to treat them as so!! lol

Snuffie comes to bed and brings her toys with her. We lay and watch tv for 20 minutes or so and while we do she plays on the bed with her toys..then when we turn the volume down and lay down she cuddles up and makes sure we don't touch each other!!! lol Yes, I'm being serious.

I used to fall asleep laying on Jimmys shoulder but Snuffie got to the point where she would lay on my face until I moved...so now we just face each other and she lays between us. lol Silly cats!

I also now get 7am sharp wake up calls with her screaming at me that she is hungry. lol Most days she will let me go back to bed but sometimes she makes me get up anyhow. lol

ckutkuhn7

Banned
How cute - Snuffie brings her toys to bed? AWWWWW.:BigSmile:

LOL Yeah, there is nothing more enjoyable then the feeling of her claws racking up the back of your leg as she attacks her toy! lol

It is cute but we have to pay attention to where she is smacking that thing! lol:LOL::Hysterical::LOL:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Leo bings hair ties to bed some times and wants to play fetch:Dizzy: I just keep sticking them under my pillow until he gives up. If I throw one forget it there is no stopping him:Laugh:

tessblack

Banned
Twitch is great sleeps through the night and if she gets in bed with us she just curls up and sleeps. Tux is another story. He sits on JW's chest and stares at him for awhile, then chews on his nose and eyebrows. Then about 4am no matter what you do he gets to you. I can lay on my stomach with my arms around my face and a little paw will wiggle it's way through and touch my face. He does it to both of us. I am a heavy sleeper so usually JW gets it but it is so cute when he does it it is hard to be mad at him.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Leo bings hair ties to bed some times and wants to play fetch:Dizzy: I just keep sticking them under my pillow until he gives up. If I throw one forget it there is no stopping him:Laugh:

YES!!! Hairties!!!! argh!!! Thats what Snuffie brings to bed,,,EVERYNIGHT. It's going to be halarious when SoBe catches on. I'm curious to see what her favorite toy is. She gets all of Snuffie's rejects from the past year and a few new ones for herself of course. Only 2 or 3 more weeks to go. :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Gable follows me up the stairs and to bed. He curls up on his Transformers micro fleece and sleeps right next to me. Amaryllis will sometimes sleep there with him or under the covers by my legs.

Gable stays there all night. Amaryllis on the other hand, being the kitten that she is, like s to jump around the bed and night stand throughout the night it doesn't really bother me but that is because she uses my husband for a springboard. She jumps on his head, chest, stomach, legs, whatever. I will hear him start mumbling and grumbling and I roll over, pretend I am sleeping, bury my head and giggle.

Back