Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Nocturnal Sphynx

Hi guys!

It's Stephanie with yet another question...I hope you guys aren't annoyed with me yet!

I'm not sure if I updated recently about Grimley's neutering, but it went well, he did great and he hasn't peed since!

However, for the past few months my Grimley is awake at night always around 3 am and again at 6 am and jumps and bites my face...not fun. When I kick him out (with much guilt, especially because he meows like crazy) he moves on to the next room to do the same. My parents aren't happy about it either. I was wondering if there were any solutions to help him sleep throughout the night?

He sleeps a couple hours during the day, and is usually in his heating pad bed when I go to sleep. I was just wondering if there were any tips or treats that would help with this...I hope this doesn't make me sound like a bad mum, I just want to be able to sleep throughout the the night haha.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is a super common thing with young Sphynx. There are a couple things that will help with this. The first is a good long romp before bed. Play play and play some more. Wear that kitty out. The more play you can get in throughout the day but especially before bed the more tired he will be and more likely to sleep through the night. The other thing you can do is push back dinner until right before bedtime. Kittens can't go as long between meals as older cats and the burst of energy at 3 and 6 may be a result of hunger. Make sure never to give in to these demands at a time when you wouldn't want to get up for feedings because this will reinforce the behaviour. My Frida wakes me up at 7am everyday because she knows that I will get up at that time to feed her. 3 days a week I'm up at 6am but always wait until right before I leave at 7 so I won't be woken at 6 everyday. If you keep a consistent schedule then he will get into a groove soon enough. Good luck.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Great advice given by @naomi!
And of course we don't have enough of your question. We all ask question to eachother constantly. And far as I know that lairians still don't have enough of me:).

I had a time were my two boys did wake me up several times a night too. Now I make sure they do have enough to eat before bedtime (if you feed Grimley knibbels you can leave it during the night) and that I played with them before bedtime. They still wake me up sometimes but not evey night.

Hope you find a way to let Grimley sleep al night cause I know it can break you up if you can't get enough sleep!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@KitKat121 , my 5 yr old adoptee is like clock work too at 4 am
He will even chirp at his brother to get up - who promptly complains amd goes back to sleep -
We ignore him not to encourage a reaction from us

Great advice given about feeding schedule and play play play before bed
Da bird pole toy works wonders - just be sure to put away in closet or they may mess with thr string get tangled or try to eat it .

I added a plush throw blanket on the bed to the side where I want him to sleep -
his blankie :) I train him to that spot with two treats on it at bedtime - then cover him up with it
He loves it

I do keep a small free feeding bowl available in the room at night -
I hear him wake at 4 am -for a snack and drink
then he comes back to his blankie and settle back in -
He gets in a routine of coming back to bed on his own after his snack.
I make sure to ignore him and not pet him

My Claire bare does the nose nips once in a while while she sleeps next to me -
I tap her on the nose with a "no" and roll over way from her and ignore her -
(Grimley is doing it I think to get your attention like Yoda would walk on me at night to get up for food )

Grimley will get a routine and settle- just be unwavering to that handsome face !
They can be such little manipulators lol

Glad you are jumping I'm amd asking questions! We all brain storm here together about our babies!
Guaranteed, a question you have is the same one many of us have :)

Hope you can post some pics of Grimley!

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Grimley is soooooooo adorable. And so innocent! Me? Waking up my mommy? In the middle of the night???? I would never do such a thing:)