Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nofuratu has a heart murmur

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Went for Nofuratu's annual vaccines yesterday, he is 2 yrs old. Was told he had a grade 2 or 3 heart murmur. She said it was difficult to tell because of his growling......Trying not to freak out!!! LOL.
He was fine last year and the vet is not concerned but tells me I should do my own research about getting him scanned. There is nothing available where we live.....which is in the middle of no where.....
Not sure of what my next step should be...
Is there anyone on here in the Atlantic Canada, New Brunswick area that knows where to get an echo done? or find a feline cardiologist?
I think the closest may be P.E.I......which is a two day drive I think....
Maybe Bangor, Maine is closer....I think thats just a few hours drive.... Anyone from there had a scan?
Guess I should get my passport renewed.....LOL.
Im very worried but trying to stay calm.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Im sorry to hear this Nofuatu, I hope every thing will be ok. I wish i could help with the location of a cardiologist. What i will say is that it would be important to get the scan asap just to be safe. Just be calm, im sure Nofuratu will be just fine.:Laugh:

tessblack

Banned
Sorry can't be much help finding you a cardiologist but sure hope everything is fine with him. Don't get too worried because it will drive you crazy. Just had the kids echos done and was going nuts before hand to the point of making myself sick. Good luck finding a cardiologist.

susi794

Staff member
Sorry to hear about the murmur, but I agree with Gizmo--I would have another vet listen before I got too excited--sometimes they are wrong. But, having said that, an HCM scan is never a bad idea is it?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear this about Nofuratu but like the others have said I would have another vet listen, because he was growling this very well could be a mistake.
I tried to look up some info in your area even tho I am not so sure where that is I found this
The prince of whales animal hospital (613) 226-3200 they seem to be a school also and in most cases they do scans, and if not could probably point you in the right direction.
Please keep us posted on this.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Is there anyway you can fly to Windsor?
A breeder there is offering to help you.
She said she would pick you up at the airport and would take you to have the cat scanned.
It would be $90 for the scan at the cardiologist.
You can write me on fb if you want to know more.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got a reply from another breeder and she lives in your area.
Here is what she said.
"I am in Atlantic Canada - Tell her to call the Atlantic Veterinary College it is $75. Tell her to contact me! The Cardiologist is coming in June (my two Sphynxes are getting their scans). "

Thank you so much!!!! You are such a great help!!! We are all very fortunate to have you as a member of the lair!!! I will pm you for details.

I was feeling really depressed about living in the middle of nowhere....LOL. We have fresh air here, clean water and you can leave your doors unlocked and let your kids run off exploring all day..... but its a 45 minute drive to the nearest human hospital, let alone a vet clinic that does hcm scans!

I was a little worried when I saw the first post about flying to windsor just because Canadian flights no longer allow any animals to fly in the cabin under the seat. They have to go in cargo now and putting Nofuratu in cargo worries me.

The 'Atlantic Vet College in P.E.I is a 2 day drive, but thats definetely better than flying the kitty! Nofuratu has actually been to P.E.I a few times to review some tourist attractions. His first trip, we took the Ferry and he hated it....LOL...so I'll be sure to tell him we will NOT take the ferry. I think Nofuratu has been looking forward to doing a blog about the new toll bridge anyway!

Will keep you all posted as it happens!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back