Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nofuratu in his first car accident!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey all,
We are all fine, but totalled our car tonight and I had to post on here because I USED to sit in the front passenger seat with Nofuratu sleeping on my lap....and I DONT DO THAT anymore (after hearing a friend's dog was killed by an airbag in a mild fender bender).
I have to say this:
If Nofuratu was on my lap in the front passenger seat during this accident he would absolutely be DEAD AS A DOORNAIL!! The front airbags went off and he would have been between my body slamming into the airbag.
We were only 1 minute from our home!
Slippy roads and someone pulled out in front of us....we were doing about 70km/hr and after hitting the oncoming car we went into a deep ditch.
Nofuratu was on my lap in the back seat, but SAFE INSIDE HIS SLEEPY POD!!
We posted about Sleepy Pods in another thread...they are made from ballistic grade luggage material and are crash tested! I bought one for Nofuratu, despite the high cost...because I am a bad driver and because he is in the car with me 5days/wk.
I am so glad we had the sleepy pod! and that it worked!
My spouse was driving this time...LOL...not me, and the other driver is also fine.
Nofuratu would like to remind everyone that he is a professional adventurecat...so there is no need to be alarmed. He's used to doing all his own stunts on his blog...

Last edited by a moderator:

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So glad everyone is okay! I saw the title and my heart sank! Gabriel always rides on hub's lap on the front seat. Never even thought about the air bag being a danger to him. Looking into the pod, though I imagine there will be yowling because he LOVES to ride with Daddy.

What a relief that everyone is safe. Nofuratu is such an adventurous cat!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know what you mean about them wanting to sit on your lap...Nofuratu is the same!
However with the sleepy pod he still gets to sit on my lap, or the kids laps but the rule is "He stays in the sleepy pod!"
He actually doesnt complain....He quite likes the pod...I dont think he notices a difference because he is still on my lap and I stick my hand in to pet him. We travel with the lid open so he can stick his head out if he wants....
but he is safe from the airbag and my body.
I am very thankful!

Feel bad for the hubby though! Last night he was bitten by our ball python "Mohinder", which is very odd!!! and today the accident...we think his hand is broken from the crash and are going to the hospital tomorow to get it checked out. Didnt want to do anymore driving tonight!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Even if a sleepypod is too expensive, a regular cheap carrier of some sort would be 100% better than nothing. It'll at least keep them from being crushed by an airbag or tossed all over the inside of the car and being slammed to death from hitting windows, the roof, etc. Plus it'll keep them from escaping from the car and getting lost if you're incapacitated, while rescue services is extricating you.

I'm so happy everyone escaped serious injury!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Even if a sleepypod is too expensive, a regular cheap carrier of some sort would be 100% better than nothing. It'll at least keep them from being crushed by an airbag or tossed all over the inside of the car and being slammed to death from hitting windows, the roof, etc. Plus it'll keep them from escaping from the car and getting lost if you're incapacitated, while rescue services is extricating you.

I'm so happy everyone escaped serious injury!

You are totally right! any hard sided carrier would work fine and prevent all sorts of horrible things from happening!
I wanted to post about the sleepy pod though because we got to "test" it LOL and it did hold up! it is padded on the inside so I think that helped because Nofuratu seems fine, not banged up like us!
My spouse and I feel like we've been in a car accident! LOL

TotenEngel

Banned
Oh word! My heart sunk when I saw this thread, so glad everyone is OK!

I looked at the sleepy pods but they are way above my budget! (we could buy a new car for what a sleepy pod would cost us to get here!!)
Smeagol is so naughty in the car, he howls non stop, we are still trying to find a solution for him as we will be moving house next year and the thought of him howling all the way, possibly setting off the 3 other boys is gonna be no fun!

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh my gosh! I'm SO glad everyone is okay! How scary! Whenever I have the cats in the car I worry double about an accident. Thanks for starting off with the fact that you guys were all fine because my heart sunk when I read the headline :Sweat:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So happy to hear everyone is ok, thay must have been so scary! Get hubby's hand looked at and tel him to be extra careful for me things happen in three's and that is 2 for him.

spygirl

Banned
So glad to hear you guys are ok!

I also bought a SleepyPod on your recommendation and I have to say, I am very impressed with the quality of it and how tough it appears to be. I'm thinking about getting a second one for my Shih Tzu. Its worth every penny. Or at least my husband's pennys... :LOL:

Again, glad to hear you guys are ok and I hope your hubby's hand gets better soon!

lawgrl

Lairian
My heart dropped when I read the title...I'm so glad you are all OK!

I bookmarked the sleepypods when I read your other post about them and keep meaning to buy one but have never quite gotten around to it. I am horrible about letting Choppy ride in my lap and I know better but I'm such a pushover...no longer! Going to buy a sleepypod right now!

Inferno12

Banned
Im so sorry but glad to hear that everyone is ok. I cant put them in the car in the carrier because they freak out just like the airplane ride so the scares me. Johnny LOVES car rides but hates carriers. Maybe we just need to quit going places :ThumbsDown::ThumbsDown:

Glad everyone is ok

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
WOW!! SO scary!!! Glad to hear he was snuggled in the back seat far away from the airbag.... poor kitty... poor momma... poor daddy... YIKES, how scary :(
I always tell John 500x's, BE CAREFUL the pets are in the car!!! but guess it goes to show, it isn't always us to blame :( yikes

Back