Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Noise Control

LucyFurrr

Lairian
As much as I love my boy, Nergal, he drives me absolutely mental. He always has fresh food, water, toys, clean litter, and he isn't the only cat in the house by any means, but he howls! I don't mean like, a 5 min chorus of cat clambering, I'm talking 20 min-hours of just walking up and down the hallway howling. Not meowing. I haven't heard him meow since he was a kitten! My husband and I both think that he's trying to say people words, and 90% of the time it really sounds like English! BUT, the issue here is that he won't stop!!! And he loves to do it in the hallway cause it echos and carries through the whole house.
It doesn't matter if I'm in my room, or in the main part of the house. He howls. It's his 'I want attention' noise. But he wakes us all up in the mornings, like 5-6am. I can't even go to the bathroom without him howling at the door, and going into the kitten nursery without him, well! I've had a neighbor knock on my door, and ask if I had a cat in distress.... I just have a whiny cat!! Maybe I coddled him too much as a baby?

Either way, anybody have this issue?? I need some silence, especially in the mornings when we're all trying to sleep! Somebody make my cat stop! :Cry:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How old is he and is he neutered?

If neutered it's usually either food, wanting to be petted or too much energy that needs to get out.
Food it's not it seems. If it's attention he wants he should appreciate a nice petting-session when howling and if not try to make him run it off in play. Really play hard with him for half an hour and see if he stops after. If I don't play and really let mine raise their pulse for an hour at least a day they get a bit noisy as well, especially one of them. And both will if I don't cuddle at least that amount of time, preferably double.
Most sphynxes are extremelly attention demanding but since they are personalities some even more than others. Don't know but maybe yours is one like that.
If all of the above is checked then he might be a bit unhappy with living with one of your other animals or something, it happens that you get a loner now and then who don't appreciate to share a home with other pets.

Don't know your cat so just brainstorming a bit...

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeppers, sounds like kitty is bored. I have found that simply by walking around the house, Butternuts is entertained. He's a weird little rat. He howls and when I go to play with him, he runs off. I say fine, and walk away. Then he attacks my feet. But showing attention is all I think your kitty needs. Butterball isn't real big on petting but he's crazy for playing.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Is there anyone in the house that he can't get to? Feline or Human? Ours go ape-s**t if they can't get to us, like skin on skin.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Nope, he's not neutered, he's the stud here. And he's almost 2. I know I've caught him howling at the heating vents to try and get them to turn on. Sometimes I think it might be because he wants at the girls in the nursery too. Maybe he's just a whiny little girl, haha. Cause I know sometimes he's bored, so I'll play with him, then he'll get bored with me and go back to the hallway and howl. Maybe he's just a demanding little butt head, haha.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Is there anyone in the house that he can't get to? Feline or Human? Ours go ape-s**t if they can't get to us, like skin on skin.

Yupp, he's segregated from the nursery room, where the queens nursing or in heat and kittens hang out. It could very well be that he just is... 'hormonal' and needs his 'fix' from the queens.... perv. :LOL:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nope, he's not neutered, he's the stud here. And he's almost 2. I know I've caught him howling at the heating vents to try and get them to turn on. Sometimes I think it might be because he wants at the girls in the nursery too. Maybe he's just a whiny little girl, haha. Cause I know sometimes he's bored, so I'll play with him, then he'll get bored with me and go back to the hallway and howl. Maybe he's just a demanding little butt head, haha.

Ok, so I don't know much about breeding cats and such, but from my horsey experience it sounds like he wants some bump 'n' grind from the ladies :Hysterical: :LOL: :Hysterical: :LOL:

holly_savage

Banned
Since he's a stud I'd say that he's calling to the ladies. Much like a female in heat will "call" to attract the males, some males do that to advertise, how many queens do you have? The vent thing could just be that he can smell them from the air exchanging throughout the house, the vents are just advertising what he can't get to, but he knows they're there!

Just my 2 cents here, and I am by no means an expert, but if they can smell the females, but not get to them, that tends to set them off.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Oh my. My boy is just a horn dog!!!! :LOL::LOL: That is just ridiculous!! Can't wait until he's 0ut of his hormonal peak. I can't sleeeeep! Now I understand why alot of people don't keep males in their home with their females.

@Ktate: I've never heard of this Feliway... Anything is worth trying though. Thanks for the tip on that though! I'll be looking into trying that. I'll try anything at this point. He's just so loud! Even my calling females don't compare in the least.

@ypvsypvs: Yeah that IS quite a wager! What happens when I get him fixed down the road, and he is still a howler? I'll be tracking you down, haha. :Wink:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@ypvsypvs: Yeah that IS quite a wager! What happens when I get him fixed down the road, and he is still a howler? I'll be tracking you down, haha. :Wink:

I'll be right here, ehum, howling. (there's a reason I know :LOL::Hysterical: )
And don't worry, he will quiet down in a few days, or weeks at the most, after that.

I am sure, also had male cat's that wasn't fixed and it is quite stressful for them.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Days or weeks! He's been a howler everyday since he reached maturity, so over a year now. Some days he gets all raspy from howling too much. He's 100% healthy, I've had all his screening done, so maybe his testosterone is just super active.

Never thought I would be having a conversation with 'strangers' about Nergal's sex drive!!! :LOL: :Hysterical:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Days or weeks! He's been a howler everyday since he reached maturity, so over a year now. Some days he gets all raspy from howling too much. He's 100% healthy, I've had all his screening done, so maybe his testosterone is just super active.

Never thought I would be having a conversation with 'strangers' about Nergal's sex drive!!! :LOL: :Hysterical:

After he is neutered, not after today. ;)
Cat's are quite "swedish" about their sex drives by the way. They don't mind it being discussed.

:LOL::Hysterical::LOL:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
After he is neutered, not after today. ;)
Cat's are quite "swedish" about their sex drives by the way. They don't mind it being discussed.

:LOL::Hysterical::LOL:

Bwaaahahahahahaha :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm sure Nergal is like, "yeah baby I'm so sexy, they talk about me getting my freak on.....ohhhhh yeaaaahhhhh" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: *barry white, can't get enough of your love baby playing in background*

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Oh I've heard things about you Swedes~ Reminds me of Skwisgaar from Metalocalypse! Might be just me that watches that.... :Smile:

Okay. AFTER neuter he'll calm. Gotcha. Duh.... haha. Thanks for the insight, I guess it took a males perspective!! :LOL:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like Nergal may need a "special" friend. There are some male kitties on the site who really like microfleece blankets. :Wink:

Feliway is also a great suggestion.

If neither of those things work, you may have to invest in earplugs.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Bwaaahahahahahaha :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm sure Nergal is like, "yeah baby I'm so sexy, they talk about me getting my freak on.....ohhhhh yeaaaahhhhh" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: *barry white, can't get enough of your love baby playing in background*

:LOL::LOL: I never noticed this post before.... oh if only you could see him. His lower 'canine' tooth is crooked, so it always pushes one side of his lip up. He's always got the 'suave snarl'... oh he's workin' it!! That face expression plus the Barry White just made me bust a gut.

MMSB: He's got micro fleece and normal fleece blankets everywhere... they just don't do it for him I guess!! Haha... Looks like I'll be buying some Feliway AND some earplugs!

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:LOL::LOL: I never noticed this post before.... oh if only you could see him. His lower 'canine' tooth is crooked, so it always pushes one side of his lip up. He's always got the 'suave snarl'... oh he's workin' it!! That face expression plus the Barry White just made me bust a gut.

MMSB: He's got micro fleece and normal fleece blankets everywhere... they just don't do it for him I guess!! Haha... Looks like I'll be buying some Feliway AND some earplugs!

Oh my stomach hurts from laughing....ok, so he's got this snaggle tooth that gives him a "pimp" look?!?!?!?! LMFAO, too much, too much. :LOL: Ok, so with horses, they have dummy mares to collect semen, perhaps they have such a thing for cats? :Impish: Bwaaahahahaha, I guess like a plastic girlie cat......:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Poor Nergal. :Hysterical:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:LOL::LOL::LOL:Just read this whole thread and I'm so sore from laughing:LOL::LOL:
I love how we're down to blow up sphynx dolls- I guess a cats gotta do what a cats gotta do:LOL:

Back