Non-breeders: how often do you scan for HCM? | Sphynxlair

Non-breeders: how often do you scan for HCM?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Lola Dineen, May 15, 2018.

1. Lola Dineen

Lola DineenLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $573.13
    Ratings:
    +22
    I know there must be a million threads on this but I'm struggling to find them!

Do you (non-breeders) scan regularly - ie, yearly, even when there are no symptoms?

We scanned at 1.5 years (all clear for 2 brothers) and the cardiologist somewhat dissuaded us from doing it annually. He basically said, since it can creep up at any time, really you'd want to scan every 3 months, which of course isn't feasible...otherwise go to yearly vet checkups and if there are heart issues, then scan again.
    I of course know HCM can be symptom less, thus leading me to want to continue scanning!

Costs aside - what are your thoughts? I know it's a personal thing, but...interested to hear different perspectives.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1

• Catzzzmeow

CatzzzmeowModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $419,133.17
      Ratings:
      +31,645
      • Scary sphynx
      We have 3 Sphynx. We scanned all 3 when they turned 1 year old. We do regular blood work yearly and ask from a Pro BNP test. Our one girl showed elevated levels so it was a possibility heart disease had started. So at age 3 we scanned our girl and there was in fact a form of heart disease...the restrictive type. We started meds. Then scanned 6 months later to see if meds we’re working. Then we started scanning yearly now unless something changes. She is now 5 years old. Last scan was a couple of months go and the vet was very pleased!

Our other girl is also 5 she has been scanned twice. If a change in proBNP results we will scan earlier, otherwise will do every other year is our plan.

Our boy turned 1 in Oct and that was when he was scanned.

You are correct about HCM can creep up at any time so in some ways we all could drive ourselves nuts with scanning and still never feel confident. Here us some info about the blood test you might find interesting proBNP Blood test @Lola Dineen

• Like Like x 2
      • Lola Dineen

Lola DineenLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $573.13
        Ratings:
        +22
        Thank you so much - that is really helpful...will definitely look into the bloodwork and probably adopt a similar method!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk