Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Non FreeFeeding

AAMMYY

Lairian
Hi everyone,

I have noticed that most people on here free feed their cats. I used to free-feed my DLH but he ended up very over weight. On top of that, he ended up developing health problems, so is now on a life long prescription diet. He is fed 1/4 dry at 8am and 1/4 can wet 8pm every day. Similarly to how I feed my dogs.

I am obviously going to have my kitten on a different diet but because of Pepper, won't be able to free-feed her either. Is it alright for her to be on a 2X schedule like the rest of my crew?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it better or differently?

The most annoying time will be if I go on vacation. Normally I just have a friend come in to check on the cat and leave a bigger bowl of food so they dont have to come every day. With 2 on seperate food though I might even have to lock them up in seperate parts of the house.

Thanks, Amy

CoolSphynx

Lairian
Amy, I have a friend with one overweight and one very thin cat who puts extra dry food for the skinny guy in a box with an opening that only the skinny dude can fit through. She first started with just a cardboard box weighted down, but now that she knows it works, she bought one of those cabinets that look like nightstands that have an opening for a kitty litter box or bed. She just covered part of the hole so only the skinny guy can get in... I bet you could try something like that to leave extra food for the kitten. Sphinx kitten's expend a lot of energy so it would be a good idea to have access to food 24/7 until he/she's a bit older if possible....

I have two on prescription food and two on EVO and all on raw medallions. They're all similar sizes and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to feed everyone. Right now I feed them in separate rooms. Like you, I also worry about what to do when I'm on vacation. Two kitties are fosters, but with the economy like it is and fewer people adopting adults, they might be with me for a long time.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I would also try to free feed your new sphynx at least as A kitten. You can try to lock 1 in A room one day and then the next day the other that way they have free time not locked up!
I am sure you will get it all figured out once your new kitty is home!:ThumbsUp:

Brooke

Banned
Hi everyone,

I have noticed that most people on here free feed their cats. I used to free-feed my DLH but he ended up very over weight. On top of that, he ended up developing health problems, so is now on a life long prescription diet. He is fed 1/4 dry at 8am and 1/4 can wet 8pm every day. Similarly to how I feed my dogs.

I am obviously going to have my kitten on a different diet but because of Pepper, won't be able to free-feed her either. Is it alright for her to be on a 2X schedule like the rest of my crew?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it better or differently?

The most annoying time will be if I go on vacation. Normally I just have a friend come in to check on the cat and leave a bigger bowl of food so they dont have to come every day. With 2 on seperate food though I might even have to lock them up in seperate parts of the house.

Thanks, Amy

Hi Amy,
I don't free feed my guys. I have them all on a 2x schedule that works just fine. Like your DLH, I think my boys would turn into fatties and my girls wouldn't get any food if I didn't monitor it. However, they do eat more than the recommended dose on the bag - for example, if the bag says to feed 1/2 cup per day, my cats are eating 3/4 cup per day but maintaining a healthy, lean weight.

I like CoolSphynx's box suggestion on how to free feed your baby while she's a kitten, though. Cool idea!

PitRottMommy

Banned
I don't free feed my 3 sphynx either. Everyone gets a twice daily meal. I let Buffy stay in our bathroom so the boys don't eat her food.

There's no necessity behind free feeding, at any age, unless you see that the pet is underweight at which point you might increase the intake at each meal.

Fountainrunner

Lairian
I was only feeding my kitty twice a day. A cup in the morning of dry and a pouch of wet at night. Then my vet told me to free feed and I remembered the breeder I purchased my kitty from said she free feed him, so I switched. Now I'm seriously thinking about switching back to the twice a day. I didn't have any issues with the twice a day schedule but now that I free feed him, he wants to eat 24/7 and crap 24/7. I don't like that at all. :ThumbsDown:

My only concern is I don't want him to go hungry either. And now that I free feed him as soon as his dish goes empty he's crying for a refill whereas before that never happened. It has spoiled him into thinking he can pig out anytime and I don't want an overweight and greedy cat. So is a healthy cup of dry in the morning and a pouch of wet at night enough???

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
HELP......... i free feed maggie i dont want her to become over weight, when u guys feed them twice a day how much do u give them because i would like to try this especially because maggie is on steroids so i REALLY have to watch her weight:ThumbsDown:

Brooke

Banned
I was only feeding my kitty twice a day. A cup in the morning of dry and a pouch of wet at night. Then my vet told me to free feed and I remembered the breeder I purchased my kitty from said she free feed him, so I switched. Now I'm seriously thinking about switching back to the twice a day. I didn't have any issues with the twice a day schedule but now that I free feed him, he wants to eat 24/7 and crap 24/7. I don't like that at all. :ThumbsDown:

My only concern is I don't want him to go hungry either. And now that I free feed him as soon as his dish goes empty he's crying for a refill whereas before that never happened. It has spoiled him into thinking he can pig out anytime and I don't want an overweight and greedy cat. So is a healthy cup of dry in the morning and a pouch of wet at night enough???

I think the forum members here are divided on the subject of free feeding our sphynxes. I fall under the category of not free feeding so I can monitor their food intake a) to make sure each of them is eating and b) to make sure they didn't overeat.

The recommended feeding amount varies depending on what food you're feeding, and I just switched to raw, but when I was feeding dry/canned, that's exactly what my guys got - 1 cup of dry food (1/2 cup in the morning, 1/2 cup at night and 3 oz. of wet at night). They were all able to maintain healthy weight and definitely did not go hungry.

HELP......... i free feed maggie i dont want her to become over weight, when u guys feed them twice a day how much do u give them because i would like to try this especially because maggie is on steroids so i REALLY have to watch her weight:ThumbsDown:

Maggies Mommy, see above, she definitely shouldn't be allowed to munch on as much food as she wants if weight is a concern. Just like with people on steroids, she'll want to eat constantly! You should measure out her daily portion (it will be listed on the bag of food depending on how much she weighs) and you can leave it down for her all day to eat at her leisure or you can split it up into 2 feedings AM and PM. She'll probably whine at first, but you can give her a couple of treats and divert her attention with a toy until she gets used to the new routine.

Back