Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Non-stop meowing

fetfreak

Lairian
Hi all!

Ok so, this will be a longer post so I can introduce you to Zack and our problem.

Zack is a peterbald sphynx, he is 14 years old and hasn't been neutered.
Zack was always a talker, semi-loud but usually sleeping at night and rarely creating a fuss. His usual loud meowing would happen around 9 pm and it would last for half an hour and he would calm down. When he was really young, a baby, he had meowing fits that lasted the whole night but those simply went away after a couple of weeks and him growing up.
He was never neutered because he had a female partner. When she passed away (Zack was about 3 years old) we decided not to neuter him because he was calm, happy and never marked his territory.

However, last year Zack had a big problem with his teeth and most of them had to be pulled out. Prior to surgery he would sleep all the time and rarely eat, he was in pain and miserable. After the surgery, he recovered miraculously, eats as much as he can (he always ate a lot), loves his cuddles and play times, it's like I got my cat back. His sleep changed drastically and has turned into a series of one to two hour naps. And this is where the problem starts.
When he is not sleeping, he is meowing. You all know how loud a sphynx can meow. And he does this all the time. He would drink some water > meowing. Using a litter box > meowing. Eating > meowing. His new favorite pass time, walking around the flat and meowing. He has also started marking his territory, something he never did before.

It been six month since his surgery and I am loosing my mind from the lack of sleep. He is meowing as I'm writing this. I just don't know what to do. He never acted like this. I tried to pet him all the time, to play with him, to scold him and result is exactly the same, he looses interest after 10 minutes and goes back to meowing. He doesn't seem to be in pain, he still purrs, plays and loves his cuddles but after that is done, meowing. When he had the surgery, he had a total medical check up and besides him being old, nothing was wrong with him. At this point I'm considering medicating him so I can finally get some rest.

If anyone has any advice, please write or contact me.

Sheldon13

Staff member
It sounds like he is looking for a lady friend now that he’s feeling better.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

fetfreak

Lairian
It sounds like he is looking for a lady friend now that he’s feeling better.

Thank you for the reply!
I don't think that is the case since he was a single cat for 11 years prior to this behavior, and his teeth issues were bothering him for couple of months when we decided for dental surgery.

Sheldon13

Staff member
In that case, do you think he’s trying to tell you something it wrong? He could be not feeling well, or there could be a stray cat outside that’s bothering him, etc anything really

fetfreak

Lairian
In that case, do you think he’s trying to tell you something it wrong? He could be not feeling well, or there could be a stray cat outside that’s bothering him, etc anything really

I don't know. I doubt it's a stray, we live in a flat and the hallway is clear of cats and we are the only in the building with a cat for a pet.
When I approach him when he meows, he quiets down for a minute or two (or more if he wants petting) but then takes off again and continues meowing. He doesn't seem to be in pain, and when he was in pain (former teeth problem) he would actually be unusually quiet.
He was pretty quiet today. It was hella warm so he slept most of the time, but I know he'll go back to meowing once we go to sleep.

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is always a reason for vocalization, pain, feeling unwell, hungry, sore, hot, cold, sad.

I would think this means something isn't right.

I would get a vet check up done.

At the very least for piece of mind.