Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

None cat related- Cheap plane tickets

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm trying to find the cheapest place to get a plane ticket to fly (preferably this weekend) from Texas to the U.K. Any website suggestions? Have tried Continental and Delta but wondering if there are any expedia type sites that people use.

It's short notice so prices are high, usually that would be bearable but its only a couple of weeks til Christmas and I'm paying off hospital bills and trying to give the kids a nice Christmas too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, my brains switched off and i'm drawing a blank.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It looks like the best I can find is $850+ for round trip. The best flight prices to be found are if you leave and return mid-week. my 2 pence :)

Thank you. Who was that with?

Trying to get there for Tuesday morning to go to a funeral and the best price I've found is around $1000, which isn't terrible considering its such short notice (that's with Continental). Going to play around with the return date as that's flexible, and see if that helps.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

silly4lilly

Lairian
i always use expedia.com and get great discounts since i always use it. i have never booked a flight from the airplanes direct website.
you can try also try travelocity.com or priceline.com. i have never used them but they may help.
i think US airways usually has cheap flights

ssummers

Lairian
I like using kayak.com because it compares a lot of the other discount sites at once. Depending on price, orbitz.com is my favorite to book with because they'll send text message alerts to your phone the day of your flight about delays, gate changes, etc.

susi794

Staff member
Check with the airline itself for what they call a "BEREAVEMENT RATE"--one of my teacher friends just got a flight somewhere for her mother to go to a funeral at way less than half price--might've even been 75% off. Can't do it online--have to have some proof like name of funeral home or something, but it's worth a shot for that much off. I never knew there was such a thing...but there is.
Sorry to hear someone close to you passed away.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Check with the airline itself for what they call a "BEREAVEMENT RATE"--one of my teacher friends just got a flight somewhere for her mother to go to a funeral at way less than half price--might've even been 75% off. Can't do it online--have to have some proof like name of funeral home or something, but it's worth a shot for that much off. I never knew there was such a thing...but there is.
Sorry to hear someone close to you passed away.

Thank you. I did have a quick look at that but I don't think it will include him as he's my great Uncle (nan's sisters husband) so not a close enough relative as far as they are concerned.

Just trying to get back as not only has my uncle passed away, but my other uncle has had his leg removed due to diabetes (they removed his other leg last year) now this one has gone bad and been removed, but he's back in hospital with suspected blood clots.

My nan broke her hip at the beginning of they year and hasn't been well since. But she's now last 30lbs since I visited this Summer and she's going to have a scan on Monday due to a mass in her stomach.

I've had 4 relatives pass away in the last 12months and haven't been able to get back in time, the last few days look like its going to be as bad. Just want to go home :Sad:

Brooke

Banned
Oh, havingalook, that's awful. I'm so sorry you're family is going through all of that and you're so far away...I can only imagine how helpless you must be feeling from half a world away. :Cry:

Big hugs to you!! I hope you get home soon. Though there isn't much you can really do, I know how much it just helps to be close to them. Best of luck, and positive vibes for your family.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you. I know its to be expected as all my elderly relatives are in the 80's now but its still hard.

I did visit this Summer and spent 7 weeks with my family so at least I know I saw him fairly recently before he passed, so that helps.

I love living here and I love my life and family here but I miss my family back home. Going to book a ticket for Monday, my husband has been amazing and is going to stay here with the kids and will look after the cats, so thats one less worry.

Thanks all.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for the help and prayers.

I fly out tomorrow until the 17th, so will spend just over a week with my family and will arrive 4hrs before the funeral, so I'm hoping that I should get there in time, even if I will be jet legged and needing a shower.:Dizzy:

I used Orbitz in the end, it was A LOT cheaper than expedia and priceline etc.:ThumbsUp:

Back