Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Normal part of introduction phase, or not?

souplouie

Lairian
Soup and Noodle have been doing better together than expected. They were asleep next to each other by the end of day 1. But Soup seems to be getting more assertive of his dominance now. There is no hissing or growling, but he'll pounce Noodle and bite down on him, usually both the front and back of his neck until he mews or we make a noise to distract him. They don't have any unsupervised time together and take frequent breaks when together. Is this something that will phase out or are am I missing a key piece to this process? They fooled me with such an incredibly calm day 1 haha.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is normal! Soup is establishing his dominance between the pair. Noodle should show submission, however do break it up if he gets too overwhelmed, or if it looks like it’s getting heated between them.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Soup wants to show Noodle he's the boss. It's normal and even important they can sort this out together. My boy Ross still does this with Toa now and then. And they're both 5 years old and from the same litter;-)

souplouie

Lairian
How can I tell if its too rough? Noodle is so little that everything looks scarier than it probably is. He mews a little when Soup bites, but when he releases he doesn't try to run away. He doesn't leave marks. He often approaches Soup and tries to groom him, and always rolls over on to his belly in front of him. His little mew always makes me nervous, but is he just being vocal or is he in trouble and its time to break it up? (We normally just assume we should break it up)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@souplouie when noodle doesn't run away after a bite and there are no marks is not too rough. The little mews make it looks worse and I know how hard it can be to watch. But Soup knows what he's doing and is being a good big brother. Just like human.big brother show little brothers who's the boss.
Noodle knows he can trust his big brother. That's why comes running for him for grooming!

souplouie

Lairian
@souplouie when noodle doesn't run away after a bite and there are no marks is not too rough. The little mews make it looks worse and I know how hard it can be to watch. But Soup knows what he's doing and is being a good big brother. Just like human.big brother show little brothers who's the boss.
Noodle knows he can trust his big brother. That's why comes running for him for grooming!
Thank you so much for some extra reassurance. Its been a very long time since being involved in a cat introduction and they weren't my precious babies so I have a lot more nerves! Of course as soon as I post this and go to work, leaving my boyfriend alone with them for the first time, they play nice AAAAAALL day and I feel like a crazy person lol. Still some scuffles here and there though, but its nice to know that's normal.