Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Normal Sphynx Poo???!!!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What should a sphynx's poo be like?! It might sound like an odd question but is it quite common for sphynx cats to be prone to have loose stools? Mo has been loose his whole life and now he is 1yr 3months. He's had regular vet check ups for this and when he gets really bad (when he is going 8 times a day!) he has a course of antibiotics which help and he is back to going 2 or 3 times a day which is ok as he isn't in pain,eating and drinking well. He has good lungs and heart and no other problems. The vet said it may be that Mo never really does a solid poo (or a splat as I call it). He some times is less loose but never done a proper formed poo! We have tried different diets and meds but at the moment he is doing ok. He isn't unwell, just wandered what everyone elses sphynx's toilet habbits are like?! I'm planning to try giving some tinned pumpkin too as I've seen that mentioned a few times on here (PittRottMommy?) to see if that does anything. Mo is well at the moment but am interested if anyone has any input.

What a topic! Sorry it's a bit graphic, Mo is embarrassed I discussed his bottom on the internet . . . . . .

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL....poor Mo!! Lemmy goes once or twice a day and it is normally solid, formed poo. He has only one time had liquid poo. The pumpkin thing really does work. Keep us updated.:BigSmile:

WOW really! Once a day, I don't think Mo will ever be like that! SOLID! That must be lovely :LOL::LOL::LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie goes once sometimes twice a day and its normal solid poo. I thought Pumkin was for when they get stopped up,,,does it work both ways or was I misinformed? hmmmm

Brooke

Banned
What should a sphynx's poo be like?! It might sound like an odd question but is it quite common for sphynx cats to be prone to have loose stools? Mo has been loose his whole life and now he is 1yr 3months. He's had regular vet check ups for this and when he gets really bad (when he is going 8 times a day!) he has a course of antibiotics which help and he is back to going 2 or 3 times a day which is ok as he isn't in pain,eating and drinking well. He has good lungs and heart and no other problems. The vet said it may be that Mo never really does a solid poo (or a splat as I call it). He some times is less loose but never done a proper formed poo! We have tried different diets and meds but at the moment he is doing ok. He isn't unwell, just wandered what everyone elses sphynx's toilet habbits are like?! I'm planning to try giving some tinned pumpkin too as I've seen that mentioned a few times on here (PittRottMommy?) to see if that does anything. Mo is well at the moment but am interested if anyone has any input.

What a topic! Sorry it's a bit graphic, Mo is embarrassed I discussed his bottom on the internet . . . . . .

Yep, my four all have solid poo, too. When I got Nelson, he had chronic diarrhea. I changed his diet to grain-free which helped a little bit, but it was still semi-soft until I switched the cats to raw food and now they are all solid (and have no odor!).

I'm a bit confused by your post - is your vet telling you it's normal for Mo to have soft poo or that there's nothing you can do about it? Chronic diarrhea for a long time can cause problems for him down the road. If he's been checked for intestinal parasites and is otherwise healthy, it's most likely a food intolerance (like what Nelson and so many other cats have) and would benefit greatly from a different food or maybe some probiotics and yes, canned pumpkin will probably help, too, because of the fiber.

Is Mo currently eating grain-free food? If not, I would give that a try. Nelson's big problem is anything with corn in it...instant diarrhea! :Badly2:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have the solid poo (once or twice a day) over here as well. I hope Mo continues to do well. Don't be embarrassed, Mo. It's okay to talk about poo (when it involves a sphynx)! lol

Is it bad that I was eating a slice of pizza while I was reading this thread?

ssummers

Lairian
Coraline had pretty soft poo for awhile, and my breeder suggested switching to a food meant to control hairballs. Ironic for a sphynx, I know, but those foods have more fiber in them. It worked like a charm in less than a week! Might be another thing to try if the pumpkin isn't working and you're looking for new foods.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

George's poo is loose a lot. Actually most of the time.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Both of ours have 2 solid poops a day also. It sounds like mo has something going on:Question: Several things can cause this, food being one of them and parasite being another. I would have your vet have another look under the microscope at Mo's poo.
Another concern I have is going that many times A day is he maintaining A healthy weight? I am sure in other posts you have said he was A good size.
Like I have said before A second opinion with another vet never hurt. We had A dog once that my vet at the time found nothing wrong with and just kept telling me it was just the dog, I went for another opinion and found problems that the other vet never saw?
Best of luck to Mo and tell him sorry we are all talking about him, also let him know that here at sphynxlair we keep everything confidential:Wink::Laugh:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone. It's an on going thing. Mo has been seen by different vets and had grain free diets, prescription diets, abtibiotics, poo tests several times, steroids. They mentioned blood tests and maybe a biopsy if there is still no improvement. Mo seems well in himself. I might print this thread if thats possible? And take it to the vets to show them when I next go!!! There is one vet called Jo who is very good and interested in Mo. I will try get an appointment with her, she isn't always in but she is the one that seems the most proactive and the one that mentioned the bloods and biopsy, she game him abx, and started him on a different diet last time we saw her

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope they can figure out something for Mo - good luck! Last time you told us he had at least put on a little weight from when he was really not feeling well - I'm glad to hear that.

I think Sophie goes once a day and its always been solid.

Christalblu

Lairian
Merkin is very solid and about twice a day...she poo's like an elephant. Someone mentioned a food for furballs. We actually have her on one becuase our other cat was on it. She's been on it since she decided she wasn't eating kitten food anymore. This sounds like it might be worth trying.

Hope you get it all figured out Mo.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone, I've tried many different things including grain free and furrball stuff. I think there is something that is wrong that is just not being picked up. I think we will just have to do all the invasive tests. He is well otherwise which is why we've hoped for a while that it might resolve.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thanks everyone. It's an on going thing. Mo has been seen by different vets and had grain free diets, prescription diets, abtibiotics, poo tests several times, steroids. They mentioned blood tests and maybe a biopsy if there is still no improvement. Mo seems well in himself. I might print this thread if thats possible? And take it to the vets to show them when I next go!!! There is one vet called Jo who is very good and interested in Mo. I will try get an appointment with her, she isn't always in but she is the one that seems the most proactive and the one that mentioned the bloods and biopsy, she game him abx, and started him on a different diet last time we saw her

You, my friend, need to invest in a Culture and Sensitivity for Mo.
And I'm extremely surprised your vet has mentioned intestinal biopsies before a C&S. Why cut into an animal before you have to?

Your description of Mo is precisely where I was with Baldwin. It had to do with a bacterial overgrowth and a sensitivity to proteins. I had more than 10 vets giving me advice for Baldwin, did all different types of food, tried numerous amounts of medication and probiotics. It wasn't until the C&S that we FINALLY got some answers and, after a switch to raw diet, FINALLY got some normal poop! He hasn't had a single bout of even remotely soft stool since Oct 2008.

When I adopted his direct brother in June of this year, I found out that he had the SAME problems that Baldwin had. Except, he'd been getting worse and worse and had NEVER had normal poop. 2 days on raw diet and he had normal poop. And hasn't had anything but since. And now he's a fat, happy (and non-stinky!) boy.

Trust me on this, do the C&S before you put your companion under anesthesia for biopsies. If it truly is IBS (which is what the biopsies check for), you're likely going to have a better chance at fixing it without diagnosis and switching to raw rabbit than you will with conventional methods (like steroids, which you said already didn't work--leading me to believe this likely isn't an inflammatory bowel issue).

silly4lilly

Lairian
my female has really soft stool. we got it tested by a vet but he said everything was okay. on the other hand my male has really solid poop

PitRottMommy

Banned
my female has really soft stool. we got it tested by a vet but he said everything was okay. on the other hand my male has really solid poop

When you say "tested", exactly what did they do? Fecal analysis is normally what is performed. A culture and sensitivity test has to be sent to a lab.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

You, my friend, need to invest in a Culture and Sensitivity for Mo.
And I'm extremely surprised your vet has mentioned intestinal biopsies before a C&S. Why cut into an animal before you have to?

Your description of Mo is precisely where I was with Baldwin. It had to do with a bacterial overgrowth and a sensitivity to proteins. I had more than 10 vets giving me advice for Baldwin, did all different types of food, tried numerous amounts of medication and probiotics. It wasn't until the C&S that we FINALLY got some answers and, after a switch to raw diet, FINALLY got some normal poop! He hasn't had a single bout of even remotely soft stool since Oct 2008.

When I adopted his direct brother in June of this year, I found out that he had the SAME problems that Baldwin had. Except, he'd been getting worse and worse and had NEVER had normal poop. 2 days on raw diet and he had normal poop. And hasn't had anything but since. And now he's a fat, happy (and non-stinky!) boy.

Trust me on this, do the C&S before you put your companion under anesthesia for biopsies. If it truly is IBS (which is what the biopsies check for), you're likely going to have a better chance at fixing it without diagnosis and switching to raw rabbit than you will with conventional methods (like steroids, which you said already didn't work--leading me to believe this likely isn't an inflammatory bowel issue).

Hi, Mo has had culture and sensitivity samples sent to the lab twice and they were completley normal. I've looked into raw diet but it's not readily available in the UK. I would love to try it but every site I've found has been American and I would want to get the right products but they just arn't available here yet. It's very frustrating, the vet I have is very good and only keeps Mo on meds short term when he gets worse, surgery is the last possible option and thats why we've put it off for so long, it's only been discussed as an option for last resort. I've had Mo over a year now. I just wish we could do something to help. Thanks for your advice. It does give me some hope that your cats improved.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I'm curious about this "normal" you've been told about...because EVERY culture and sensitivity should have a panel that comes back with a bacteria read out and a sensitivity panel...because EVERY cat has bacteria in their feces. It's only after giving a medication that should put these bacterias in check that you may ever notice a difference. Even if they were normal bacterias, and simply not in the right amounts for your companion. I remind you, every bacteria that was overgrown in Baldwin's stool was "normal" as well, it should have been there---it just shouldn't have been so prevalent.

I'd recommend using a different lab, if that's an option for you.
You should never get a parasitologist's/bacteriologist's reading of "normal" with no included values when you're asking "what type of bacteria(s) are in this stool?".

Personally, I haven't seen any C&S come back yet for a feline that didn't have intestinal bacterial overgrowths that didn't respond to using amoxicillin and baytril together. You might mention this to your vet, it may be a cheaper trial than running another C&S.

In addition, what type of food are you feeding right now? Some foods are notorious for being tainted with bacteria, this might explain why Mo is having continued problems after pursuing treatment.

As far as raw, you might be stuck making your own at home. http://rawfed.com/myths/ is a wonderful website to consult. I'd recommend rabbit, but you can use practically any protein. I most especially recommend rabbit because it's been proven in over 90% of cases to improve stools on IBD cats.

Back