Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Not a clear scan this time

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Last week we took Azura for her annual exam. She has been heart scanned clear every year (she is 6 years old now) so our vet said let’s do the ProBNP test (a more thorough blood test that can usually flag heart disease if it has been advanced) and if that comes back with no changes from last year then we can skip the scan this year and do it next year. Unfortunately we got bad news her BNP level last year was 182 last year this year it showed over 1,500...yes that is not a typo. With levels that high, it meant a good chance of heart disease, so he said we need to scan her. He said before the scan he wants a tech to take her blood pressure. She did it 8 times and all were significantly higher than they should be. He said they take the BP because if the scan comes back with no changes to the structure of the heart then hypertension could be the spike in the reading from the ProBNP blood test.

We had her scanned Thursday night and unfortunately Azura has HCM. After picking up the scans today, we see it has significantly changed from her scan a year ago. Enough her breeder said it is crazy how much of a change in just a year. So today we picked up blood pressure meds (as he wants to get that under control first) she is also on a blood thinner now. We need to go back in 7-10 days for a blood pressure reading. Once under control the cardiologist will recommend heart meds. Then we will have to get more blood tests to be sure her liver/kidneys are ok on the heart med and then we need to follow up with another heart scan after 3 months. I took yesterday to be sad, but today I woke up knowing nothing has changed for Azura...she is happy and still our brat baby.

Not a fun journey especially since we see more and more babies with HCM pass every day. Good breeders are no longer safe from the disease, but again going to one that scans their breeders yearly is key. They are doing their best to better the breed through scanning. Azura‘ s sister was scanned 2 months ago and was clean...her parents are over 9 now and both are clean as well and have been out of the breeding program for a few years now and are in their forever homes.

It’s hard to think about it all , but it is a reality for many. I also want to mention she has no murmur. We often know people are scared to death when they hear a murmur...only 50% of cats with murmurs ever have HCM...she falls into the other 1/2 where the vet hears no murmur and a shocking tragedy happens. I am happy we at least know what could happen. As hard as it is to wrap
our heads around it, the not knowing would be worse on us.

And the beat goes on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Patti, you know I send you lots of hugs. And you are right to cherish the days we have not fear the tomorrow that might never be. Thank you for sharing though. Even though I am living with only one HCM sphynx right now I love being educated so I can keep abreast of new tests and meds. Please let us know how you ALL are doing.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh Patti, I gasped while reading your post. What a shock to hear this, especially since her family is all clear. I know HCM kitties can still live a nice long life with proper medications so that is what I’m praying for you and Azura. Such a beautiful girl.

Always here,
Stephanie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow
Patti, (((((squeeze hug))))))) HCM sucks . So sorry Azura’s latest scan was not clear.
Here for you as you are always for us on our journey
Head smooches and a lair full of positive vibes. Following closely for updates.

You have taught me soo much over the years , especially that our babies live in the moment and only know our love .

they have no idea they have HCM . We give them the best of love amd care - you two by far are the bestest cat momma and cat daddy .

Your words “today I woke up knowing nothing has changed for Azura...she is happy and still our brat baby. ” .... that is truly everything

alandsim

Lairian
Thank you for sharing. I can’t imagine how scary this must be. Your family is in my thoughts and I’ll be waiting to hear updates. Keep loving on that sweet (brat) girl!

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was shaken up just reading this, I can only imagine how you must've felt hearing the vet with the results. Will be following for updates on her follow up blood pressure appointment. Lots of love and prayers from us {}

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Azura couldn’t be in a better family. You and mr. catzz will give her all the medical care she needs and all the love. Hugs for you.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I’m so sorry Patti. It’s devastating news, but Azura only knows that she’s loved right now and happily oblivious to her diagnosis. You are wonderful parents to your babies and she couldn’t be in a better home to get the love and tender care she needs. With such a big change in her bloods it must be scary, but you are on to it quickly and this gives her the best chance for a long and happy life. Lots of love to your and your sweet bratty girl xx

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's shocking to learn that this can happen even when you're on top of things. And that it happens to pretty much all sphynx breeders - ugh! Anyway best wishes for you and Azura.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Big prayers from TX! Azura is lucky to belong to a family who scans annually. Your diligence in her care will undoubtedly benefit her health in the long run. Here’s to many more years of happiness & healthiness for Azura, as well as the rest of her naked pride!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
P.s. I’m not sure how many Lairians have purrbabies who are HCM thrivers, but it might be beneficial to have a category on the main page dedicated specifically to HCM. It could have sticky threads that include general HCM information pertaining to the breed, as well as scanning/clinic locations and info. There could also be a thread where owners can share their experiences with the disease, ask questions, and support one another.
It’s such a prevalent disease in the breed, but it’s also something that is manageable as long as it’s detected early enough to respond to treatment. I know that if I were to ever receive a positive diagnosis, I would greatly appreciate the resources and community of other Lairians.