Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Not oily at all! How many baths per month?

Brianne

Lairian
Hello All!

So Ive had my naked kitty for 4 months now and I have to say I'm surprised at the fact she is not oily at all. Her skin is nice a soft! I was told by the breeder to only bath her a couple times a month, which she does not like.

I'm trying an experiment and have waited 3 1/2 weeks since I've given her a bath and I've noticed she's not getting oily or icky feeling. However I do change her clothes every couple of days and notice that they get dirty but her sleeping spots don't.

My question is how often should I bathe her?

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm to new to this breed to give a steady answer but I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in.
I personally would say if your baby isn't too oily/sticky/smelly then she maybe doesn't need one?
Or maybe could take a wash cloth that's rather warm (not hot and not cold, just warm like they like it) and fresh her up a bit like that instead of a real bath? (just throwing idea's out there)

My sphynx cat is dirty! is a nice article here on where to oily feeling comes from :LOL:

D

Deleted member 14512

I bathe Ollie once every week because he gets SO dirty if I don't bathe him. Once, I didn't bathe him for two weeks and he looked like he had just bathed in mud.
But for your girl, maybe only bathe her when she's dirty. If she doesn't seem to get dirty, maybe bathe her every three weeks or so?
All of this is based on everything I've read and taking care of Ollie. I'm sure someone more experienced with the breed will answer.
Hope you find what's right for you and your baby!

4Beans

Lairian
My oldest boy is VERY very oily. He’s a white & blue but mostly white. I keep sweaters on him as it helps absorb the oils and keep my furniture clean! I use to bath him once a week and now we do every other week. He likes baths.

His little brother isn’t oily at all. He’s a blue & white tuxedo, mainly blue (grey). I bath him once a month. He likes them too.

I think the thing that gets dirty most is their nails & feet. We spot clean as needed and clean nails weekly (they don’t love that!).

I’ve heard the darker the skin the less oils they produce.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I can go easy a month + for full spa days since I switched foods .
Twice a week ear cleaning and nail trimming and nail bed cleaning and touch up wipe downs
I have white sheets and no staining

4Beans

Lairian
I also found since switching litters it’s helped reduce dirtiness. We use yesterday’s news - recycled paper pellets, zero dust, tracking, etc. We once tried a walnut litter and it let off so much red dust my boy was a mess!!! LOL

AJSears

Lairian
My 2 greasy-smelly stud boys need a bath every week! Most of my 5 girls only need a bath for shows. They all get ears and nails done every week. I too believe that for most cats, it has a lot to do with what you feed them. I have girls that have not had a bath in months and don't leave oil spots on my furniture or bedding. Some sphynx don't need a bath very often and you are just going to upset their natural oils/skin balance if you bathe then just because you feel like you are supposed to.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
One of our four gets a bath only once a month. She is very low oil. I massage argan oil into her skin about once a week to keep her skin from getting too dry.
The other three get a bath every two to three weeks. They are dirt balls.
I use shampoo and conditioner on all four of them. HUGE skin changes since I started using conditioner. Way better and they stay cleaner longer.

Brianne

Lairian
Thank you everyone who replied! Its good to get some feedback and insight on this matter as this is my first naked critter :) I do clean her nails and ears twice a week plus clip the nails weekly. Which she doesn't mind at all as long as I catch her in the middle of a nap and give her treats afterward! Thank again everyone!

Hildegard

Lairian
One of our four gets a bath only once a month. She is very low oil. I massage argan oil into her skin about once a week to keep her skin from getting too dry.
The other three get a bath every two to three weeks. They are dirt balls.
I use shampoo and conditioner on all four of them. HUGE skin changes since I started using conditioner. Way better and they stay cleaner longer.

What conditioner do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My vet told me to only bathe her when she starts to feel dirty. I bathe her once a month but wash her face and neck with a damp facecloth daily and clean her ears daily.

NakidSquad4

Lairian
This is a great question and one I have wondered about too! I don't use standard litter, but use the Breeze system. I wonder if litter plays a part as well.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I bath Binky once every two weeks, she doesn’t have a lot of oil on her but she begins to smell haha...! Xx

StacyD

Lairian
My sphynx, who we adopted at age 2, is never oily. I've owned him for over a year and he has had 2 baths, and that's only because he got his own poop on himself. We sometimes wipe him down with wipes and see a bit of orange color on the wipes, but really very little, & he never leaves stains on anything. When I brought him to the vet she commented on his cleanliness so I guess we are just lucky in that he produces less than normal oil, or maybe cleans himself very well.

Dublin Riis

Lairian
Dublin is a black Donskoy and maybe there IS something to the fact that the darker the pigment, the less they need to be bathed. He is almost NEVER dirty enough to have a bath, though he has problem areas with blackheads which I tackle with witch hazel every other day. It seems to help.

I just got Donskoy #2 last Thursday. Yudjin (Russian translation for Eugene) is mostly white with blue markings. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I already see a little (brownish/red) oil on his skin @Yumi @SelinaKyle @4Beans less than a week from Gotcha Day. It would be interesting to know if he likes baths or not. I'll let another week go by before I begin to introduce him to baths, nail clipping and nail bed cleaning

I am beginning to think Dublin's ears need a good cleaning 2x per week @Yoda mom. The oil from his skin probably all gather in his ears...LOL!

bmac60

Lairian
I bath my Sphynxs once a week. They could push it to every two weeks, but they do start to stink a little after a week. Probably because they sweat a lot when they sleep. Bathing them also helps with my allergies.

Sheldon13

Staff member
It can feel leathery or scaly when really dry. It should feel supple and smooth if it is healthy.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back