Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Not using litter box? and more concerns!

Mickey Toulouse

Lairian
Hello everyone! I seem to just be having one problem after the next! Mickey has recently decided to stop using the litter box.. he will sometimes, and sometimes he will go right next to it even if it’s perfectly clean.

I feel like this may be my fault.. but I’m not sure, and want to know all things possible that could be wrong or things I can fix to make it better.

I have been using the bathroom as his “room” since I brought him home.. he only actually slept in there 2 nights before I gave in and let him sleep in my room, so I moved his litter box and food in my bedroom on the floor at night. When I leave my house I keep him locked in the bathroom because he’s definitely still too young to be roaming the apartment unsupervised. Especially because I have caught him trying to eat random things on the floor, I’m always sweeping and dusting the floor because he will even try and eat little dust bunnies. I put towels down on the bathroom floor all around his litter box and he started peeing on the towel, and every time I see he peed on it I put a clean towel down. It started with just pee and now he’s pooping on the towel, and tracking it all over!! I feel like the problem is because I didn’t have 2 litter boxes (one in my room and bathroom) and he is getting confused when I move it, but I still don’t get why he would poop on the towel right in front of a clean litter box.

I also noticed bright red blood in his poop, not sure what that could mean.. and this morning he pooped on the towel again and it didn’t come all the way out and was dangling out and he tracked it all over the house (cause the door was open to the bathroom and I couldn’t catch him) I think he ate hair and it was stuck to the hair. I am totally overwhelmed and stressed because I have to keep him in the bathroom for long periods of times some days. Since I have gotten him 2 weeks ago my brother has been home to watch him while I go to work even though he mostly just stays in the bathroom, he will check on him through out the day. My brother is out of town now and I had to go to work this morning and will be gone for about 7 hours.. which I know is a long time to leave him alone but he is usually ok when I get back. I am now extra worried now because of this poop situation and I don’t want him to be covered in poop and try and clean his eye (that is still red and goopy with infection or something) I don’t know what else to do or how to make life better for him and me.. I put 2 litter boxes next to each other in the bathroom when I left this morning just in case, and tried to cover up most of the towel with litter boxes lol.

Also, I am feeding him blue buffalo kitten food and he seems to be ok with it, but I’m not sure obviously.. I don’t really know any warning signs or anything to look out for or be concerned about and what’s normal and what’s not!
I have so many questions and concerns and need all the help I can get! I’m very stressed out and worried about him, and wish I could be with him all the time.

Please let me know what I could do or any suggestions or anything I should or shouldn’t be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the towel...some cats have a thing for mats, towels, clothes on the floor etc. also clean the area underneath with an enzymatic cleaner...as they are known for going back out of habit and smell. Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

Also many cats do not like their food near their litter boxes.

Last edited:

Mickey Toulouse

Lairian
Thank you! So I shouldn’t put anything around the litter box, I originally put the towel so when he steps out it cleans his paws a bit more before he starts walking around, because he still is having a hard time not stepping in his poop and he is very messy. I want to do as much as I can to lessen the poopy mess lol

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mickey Toulouse positive vibes sent.... you can call the vet and ask if you can drop off a poo sample to check for any Giardia, tritrichomonas for a good baseline.... some foods irritated kitties tummies.... I couldn't feed blue to my first girl
I switched mine to the nutrisource cat and kitten food and no more blood tinged stool or constipation, etc

agree with removing the towel and definitely two litter boxes.. i keep a mini dust pan by each box
some don't like scented litter and I find nakids extremely selective for a super clean box...geez... I scoop boxes twice a day and then freshen off with a little clean litter added. also if you use a covered litter box, I always remove the door flap

a good enzyme cleaner is Mister Max Anti icky poo... breeder recommended the unscented
there is scented and unscented

a breeder recommendation years ago.. comes scented and unscented and can be bought now on chewy.com as well as a little black light for $9 pet solutions brand on chewy.. to see if he has gone anywhere else that may have been missed.

it can be used to to check hotel rooms you stay in too :) it lights up vomit etc

always best for a baseline vet check along with a stool sample check. I would call your vet and follow their suggestions
I did see my vets office sells Mister MAX Anti icky poo .

following closely for updates

fyi.... several members with kittens have dealt with poo foot... hopeful they will chime in with tips
I think some use unscented alcohol free baby wipes to wipe feet and surfaces.

Last edited:

Mickey Toulouse

Lairian
@Yoda mom
He definitely doesn’t have diarrhea, just soft and comes out smooth like soft play dough. and I feel like that’s how it should be right?
I am taking him to the vet again on Tuesday for a follow up appointment.. I will ask the vet what he thinks too.

I just ordered new litter, arm and hammer dust free slide litter, that’s what my breeder recommend, and I unfortunately just ordered another bag of food, but depending on what the vet says and if he just doesn’t like the food then I will try new food.. any of your favorite foods you can recommend?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mickey Toulouse , I would bring a fresh stool sample along to the vet visit just incase they want to check it .

I believe several members use the AH slide @Bailey21 ?

The soft poo you describe is just what my girl ha on blue food.
I will look for a pic I posted years ago as a reference

also, hairball formulas have been known to be good for poo issues... I believe its the fiber content

I am feeding Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag, and Hills urinary hairball, and hills oral care for treats

you will find what works best for your baby... all paws crossed for the vet visit..
keep us updated!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Chiming in that I like the brands Instinct and Halo! Wellness Core is pretty good too. Just check them out and see if they meet your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending lots of positive vibes. Know that a lot of us did have this kind of problems the first months too. You’ll best this!
I would take away the towels. Adding a second litterbox is a great idea.

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definately involve a vet and have his poo checked to rule out sickness. Some cats will get a little blood in their poo when they are stressed out, and it will clear up in a week or two. The other tips given are good too; remove the towel from the floor, keep food away from the litter box, and I would get a second litter box instead of moving it. Good luck!

Mickey Toulouse

Lairian
Toulouse has been doing great! I keep forgetting to post on here because I’ve just been using my Facebook groups ! I will make a post on here right now to let you all know how he’s been doing and what’s happened since I posted last !

Back