Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Now my kitten won't stop sneezing

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
First there was the ring worm (got that taken care of and she is on the mend) and then an ear infection (an ear wash was prescribed) but through it all my kitten won't stop sneezing. She is on lysine and the vet put her on an anti viral (starts with f). It does not seem to be working. I figured after a few days I would see results but it just isn't happening. I feel she needs antibiotics. She is eating regularly and plays but this sneezing thing is frustrating. If sphynx sneezes were a facial treatment I would have the best skin in the world. I am worried sick and I have been to the vet so many times. Any advice!?!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
First there was the ring worm (got that taken care of and she is on the mend) and then an ear infection (an ear wash was prescribed) but through it all my kitten won't stop sneezing. She is on lysine and the vet put her on an anti viral (starts with f). It does not seem to be working. I figured after a few days I would see results but it just isn't happening. I feel she needs antibiotics. She is eating regularly and plays but this sneezing thing is frustrating. If sphynx sneezes were a facial treatment I would have the best skin in the world. I am worried sick and I have been to the vet so many times. Any advice!?!
Hello, sorry to hear this. Has the sneezing been happening since day 1 when she came home? If not, what has changed recently. Litter, food, laundry detergent? Many times a "low dust" litter is needed to prevent sneezing. Also, how much Lysine are you giving her, a larger dose is usually required when a URI is present. :)

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
I bought a scoop free litter box which has a (so-called) 99% dust free litter. She eats Royal canin kitten (hard) food and loves it. Actually prefers it over soft food. I will check the amount of lysine. It is in treats so I can give her two a day (which she will love). Also any advice on giving meds? The medication is so expensive compounded so I crush it up myself. She won't take it in food and when I syringe it half of it gets spit out. I love her so much and this cold is driving me crazy!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Luvmisphynx , Awh.. Continued healing vibes sent to Jasmine- glad she is on the mend from the ringworm -
Now to get that sneezing relief -
Did the vet diagnosis her with a URI

I would call the vet office and ask if they can call in an antibiotic prescription to your local store pharmacy .
(My vet does this for me to Publix grocery store pharmacy ) especially if they have been treating Jasmine -

*Pet antibiotics , the usual prescribed for URI, are often free at the store pharmacy - you can call your local store confirm first - then call vets office and give the pharmacy # you want it called in to.

Also, for that asking , the store pharmacy will formulate to a liquid for no charge and give you the dispensing plunger to go with it . Just call and Request it filled this way

Now , my honest opinion... If you are no getting answers at her vet with all the vet visits-
There is nothing wrong with making an appointment to another vets office -
I did this in the past and actually ended up switching 12 yrs ago- I have a much better working relationship -
Not that the first vet was bad - it just wasn't working for us amd our kitties need -
Kinda like humans going for a second opinion- sometimes it is for the best -

Something is causing this persistent sneezing - I would definitely ask the vet to rule am upper respiratory infection and knock it our with antibiotics and l/ lysine .
So,e antibiotics work better than others for sphynx- you may need to ask for a different one -

With sneezing, if URI rule treated amd rules out ,
Then I would like mentioned look at the litter and laundry detergent , fabric softeners ?
Even the shampoo ? I use Hylt shampoo - soap free , hypoallergenic -
Amd their Avenalyt shampoo hypoallegenic too and makes skin super soft -

Sending hugs amd prayers you get some relief for Jasmine !
We certainly understand amd worry like one of our own -

Please keep ups update often -
I am sure others will chime in too

Head smooches to Jasmine!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Luvmisphynx , I had to give Yoda cat her liquid meds dosage split up I'm two -
I gave a the first orally in the side cheek , waited a few minutes and gave the rest of the dosage

You can ask if you can mix it with low sodium plain chicken broth to dispense it ?
Some members may chime in with great suggestions for home formulating pills

I get Dr Elseys unscented litter in the blue bag which has worked well with my crew -
And I don't gag and sneeze with a dust cloud when I pour the 40 lbs it into the storage container
(For years Using one of those lidded foot operated stainless trash cans with plastic insert )

a lot of members feed Royal can in too with no problems as well as the l lysine treats
I am feeding Acana grasslands amd Dr Tims Chase kibble for Batman who refuses all other food.
I get all my stuff at chewy.com with a buy 12/get 1 free on many brands -
Gets here in 2-3 days with amazing customer service - if anything you buy doesn't work for your pet -
Call them - they go above and beyond .

With her sneezing , is there any eye discharge? Are her eyes clear and bright?
Is her snot color clear , yellow?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I'm afraid I have no advice to offer cause I don't know what can cause the sneezing besides what's already suggested by the others. So only jumped in to sent more healimg vibes!

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
Have you had her tested for Calicivirus? My little girl had this from a kitten. It's non fatal but does involve sneezing.

Back