Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Now What???

sheryl

Lairian
Sorry - I'm getting frustrated. Sammie's diarrhea is not getting better - especially when I give in and give her the Science I/D dry, just because she hasn't eaten for two days. Now even Lily, the one one who wants to eat 24/7 won't touch the raw. This morning, about 2:00, Sammie had the runs - I could hear her scrating the litter box (I have one i my room) and could smell the awful stench, so I got up. She had pooped right in front of the box! Nasty runny stuff. This is the second time she's done that. The first time was before Lily even came home.
Someone on here (Brooke?) advised giving chicken and rice until the tummy settles down. But I've read that chicken can be tough for a lot of cats. I tried putting the canned food in with the raw, and she did eat it, but I have a feeling, that just added to Sammie's diarrhea.
The lady who runs the rescue advised using "Wellness". Any thoughts? I'm ready to pull out my hair!
Sheryl

Pbinky

Banned
Hi Sheryl,

It was me who suggested the chicken and rice as that is what my vet told me to do. When we did it for our cats the diarrhea didn't clear up during the week that they were on it and then we switched to Medi- Cal Gastro and they are doing very well on that food. Both wet and dry food. But this is now our 6th week of dealing with runny poops from the Giardia that our new kitten (so kindly) brought home with him. I was told that it takes time. Having said that, the fact that the poop is still very smelly concerns me. Is this cat on Metranidozol (sp?) still? My boys were put on both the metranydozol and Tylosine for the Giardia and spiral bacteria that was found in their fecal smears. They both stayed on it for almost 3 weeks; when their smears came out clear.
Now we are dealing with doxycycline for the URI and tetracycline for their eyes which don't seem to be getting much better.
Very frustrating indeed.

sheryl

Lairian
Hi pbinky....The metronidazole did nothing for Sammie. She is, however right now enjoying the chicken and rice. My vet is going to give her some liquid endesorb for the time being until we can figure out what the heck is going on. Oh Geez....scratch the part about enjoying the chicken & rice. She just puked it all up. Dammit.
THANK YOU!!!!
Sheryl

Pbinky

Banned
Hi pbinky....The metronidazole did nothing for Sammie. She is, however right now enjoying the chicken and rice. My vet is going to give her some liquid endesorb for the time being until we can figure out what the heck is going on. Oh Geez....scratch the part about enjoying the chicken & rice. She just puked it all up. Dammit.
THANK YOU!!!!
Sheryl

Oh my goodness!!! I'm so sorry she is so sick!!! We spent big bucks having Skinner tested for pretty much everything under the sun.... my heart breaks for Sammie. I hope she'll be ok. My boys are also on Liquid Immuno, it's basically an immune system boosting formula to help them get through the URI and conjunctivitis...
I'm not sure if that would help Sammie get through what she's going through...
:Cry:

sheryl

Lairian
Hi Pbinky....where did you get the Liquid Immuno from? My vet has Sammie on L-lysine treats, but I've stopped those, as I'm afraid that anything that goes in her mouth is going to come violently sqirting out her little butt!!!

Pbinky

Banned
Hi Pbinky....where did you get the Liquid Immuno from? My vet has Sammie on L-lysine treats, but I've stopped those, as I'm afraid that anything that goes in her mouth is going to come violently sqirting out her little butt!!!

I would keep her on the L-lysine. It helps boost the immune system. I got the Liquid Immuno from the vet's office. It's not necessary to have a prescription. Just call or stop by and ask if they have Liquid Immuno or any other type of immune boosting formula for pets. This stuff is good for cats and dogs. I would also see if you can get your hands on some Acute Care probiotics. I think Sammie could use some friendly bacteria in her gut.
Is she still keeping herself hydrated? How many times is she pooping in a day. To test if she's hydrated gently pinch some of her skin on the back of her neck and pull it up an inch or two. Hold it in your thumb and finger for a couple of seconds and then let go. If it falls back down to her body nice and smoothly then she is hydrated. if it still kinda stays in the same position as it was in your hand or takes a long time to fall down back to her body then she needs to be seen right away by a vet. Also, check Sammie's temperature and make sure she doesn't have a fever. Feline "normal" body temperature range is 100.5 - 102.5 Fahrenheit (38 - 39.2 Celsius).
A body temperature below 100 or above 103F warrants a call to your vet.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Canned pumpkin helps cats with diarrhea, so does metamucil (sounds weird) but the psyllium in the metamucil actually adds substance to the BM so it is not so watery.

PitRottMommy

Banned
If Metronidazole hasn't worked, you need to get both babies on Panacur. In addition, cats should NEVER go longer than 24 hours without eating, especially babies. Not only do your risk hypoglycemia, you also risk hepatic lipidosis--which can end in death.

When Baldwin was having horrible problems with diarrhea, one of my close veterinarian friends mixed metronidazole and endosorb together. It may be something to try if the metronidazole isn't working and the endosorb show some improvements.

As far as changing diet, you may well be shooting yourself in the foot. Consistently changing food trying to find something that won't cause diarrhea will do the exact opposite. Fast changes in food often causes diarrhea in both cats and in dogs.

As another member has mentioned, try canned (no sugar added) Pumpkin. We've had great success with Libby's version.

Finally, I'm going to recommend a culture and sensivity for both of your companions. I'll bet there's something else that's underlying that neither you or you vet know about, therefore cannot treat.

sheryl

Lairian
Having to give Sammie this Endesorb - 3mls/ 3x daily - breaks my heart. I have to wrap her up in a towel, and she gets so stressed. She must despise me at times :-(
I did check both her & Lily for dehydration - they both look good. They do drink their water pretty good.
Sheryl

JennyP

Lairian
Hey there,
I have had the same problem with little Mouse. I tried chicken & rice but with no success.

My vet suggested that I put him onto Science Diet / Hills Hairball dry food - I thought that was really odd because obviously the issue is not hair! However, in desperation I tried, and this has made a huge difference! At the moment he is on 3/4 Hairball, and 1/4 Royal Canin Kitten 36 and that seems to be working well.

I also had him tested for loads of parasites & things at the vet, and all came up clear.
Hope this is of some use .

Good luck and hang in there!

Pbinky

Banned
Having to give Sammie this Endesorb - 3mls/ 3x daily - breaks my heart. I have to wrap her up in a towel, and she gets so stressed. She must despise me at times :-(
I did check both her & Lily for dehydration - they both look good. They do drink their water pretty good.
Sheryl

I know what that's like. Since we've brought home Skinner it's been like a nursing station at my house for both my boys. Wraping them in towels, they squirm and cry..... i cried too, in the beginning. It will get better, for both of you. Now both my boys know when it's time for their medicine and it goes pretty smoothly for everyone involved. I'm not sure if you have anyone to help you give the meds but it makes a huge difference when there's two people. It's just a lot easier.
Good luck Sheryl. Pbinky and The Skinner & I are thinking about you and your girls.:ThumbsUp:

Brooke

Banned
Hey there,
I have had the same problem with little Mouse. I tried chicken & rice but with no success.

My vet suggested that I put him onto Science Diet / Hills Hairball dry food - I thought that was really odd because obviously the issue is not hair! However, in desperation I tried, and this has made a huge difference! At the moment he is on 3/4 Hairball, and 1/4 Royal Canin Kitten 36 and that seems to be working well.

I also had him tested for loads of parasites & things at the vet, and all came up clear.
Hope this is of some use .

Good luck and hang in there!

This does sound weird, but hairball food is high in fiber which is why it can help firm up kitty's poops!

PitRottMommy

Banned
This does sound weird, but hairball food is high in fiber which is why it can help firm up kitty's poops!

Brooke's right. Fiber helps to firm the stool and also helps to surround hair in the intestines, which is why it works for hairballs. Regardless of the presence of hair, fiber in the diet can help intestinal health for cats. It cannot hurt to try. However, if you'd prefer to stay on your same diet--you can use canned pumpkin to add fiber instead. Which may be a better idea if you're using a food that is higher quality than Science Diet or you'd rather not cause diarrhea through a change in diet.

sheryl

Lairian
I can't thank all of you enough - your support has made this so much more bearable. I am going to give the canned pumpkin a try, and my vet is going to send the fecal sample out to Marshfield clinic - where we send all of our more detailed tests to.
Thanks Again - you guys are great!!!!
Sheryl, Sammie & Lily

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
3 days after getting George we found out he had giardia. He has lots of diarrhea and it matted to his tail. :( The Dr. put him on Metronidazole. An 8 day treatment. Possibly your kitty did not get as long of a treatment. If your kitty has giardia, I would recommend washing him after he poos and constantly cleaning his/her cage. Plus wash your own hands after handling him/her because it can spread to humans. I learned that the hard way. eeeek!

Pbinky

Banned
Yes Giradia is a messy situation. Skinner had Giardia when we brought him home. And we did the same thing, night and day. Clean the litter box everytime he went poop. Washed his bum with a wet cloth and washed our hands extremely well. I also wanted to tell Sheryl that we had a fecal smear done to diagnose the giardia as the fecal flotation showed nothing. These parasites and bacteria are sneaky and are not always detected unless its with a live sample fresh from the bum and straight to the microscope. We had our cats on both metranitozol an tylosine for 3 weeks. Finally it cleared up.

Abigail

Lairian
Hey there, I have a kitten (about 7-8 months old) and I was just wondering who you got the kitten from with the Giardia? Pretty sure my guy has the same thing but have to wait until Monday to have him tested. Did your kitten come from Toronto or did you get him elsewhere?

Thanks!

Back