Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nursing

JacksMom

Banned
Okay...so I was hoping to not have to ask this question (for embarrasment that my poor son looks like a freak when he does this--ha!) and I was hoping that it would resolve itself, but it hasn't.

Okay, a couple weeks ago, Jack found his lower 2 tits and began nursing himself...thought it was strange and funny, but a one-time thing. I was soooo wrong. Everytime he's ready to go to sleep, he curls in a ball so he can suck on his little tits to go to sleep. He kneeds and sucks and purrs till he's asleep....like all the time and it's been weeks now!! Will he ever stop? Sometimes his tits look a little red/irritated...no rash or anything, but I can't seem to get him to stop by moving his mouth away...he goes right back. I wake up at night to the sounds of him sucking, purring, and kneeding himself and me, too! Do I need to do anything about this or will he "wean" himself from this nursing thing?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Gleek sucked the tip of his tail the first few days I had him. I assumed it was for self comfort as he settled into his new home. But I kept trying to distract him from doing it , but he would go right back to it. After the third night, I realized that he was hungry and started feeding him more at bedtime so he would make it through the night better. He hardly ever does it now, but he is also 5 months old and may have just outgrown it.

Good luck to you and Jack.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had a nursing problem with Dinka. I would wake up in the morning with hickies on my neck and cheek. He has nursed his own tail before. He is now 6 months and does not do it quite so much. When he starts on me, I move him away and stop him from nursing. I pet him alot until he is satisfied and wants to sleep. Maybe Jack will outgrow it, maybe it is a temporary thing that soothes him. It is a soothing thing.:Smile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a comfort thing, I would also try a shirt for him to discourage this. How old was Jack when you brought him home?

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy is 17 months old and he still sucks on his stomach. When he does it he also kneads his paws and purrs really loud. I think that it is like the cutest thing ever!!

Back