Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Obsessed!

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Everyone tells me that I am obsessed with my cat, I don't think anything is wrong with that?:BigSmile:

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Not at all!!! I am the same way! You are just loving and enjoying such a special kitty :) Only people that own a Sphynx could understand :) To me it's like having a little baby, or toddler :) They can be quite humanlike sometimes :)

Brooke

Banned
Yeah, I hear this all the time, too...especially since I just brought two more sphynxes home. People keep telling me I'm gonna be one of those old people you see on TV with a disgusting house with 80 cats who never cleans the litter box...I usually laugh it off but it's getting annoying. :Angry:

I just feel sorry for them because they don't know what they're missing!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maximus, my fiance' and family always tell me the same thing! I just think that people don't understand what it's like to be owned by a sphynx. They are so unique beyond the average cat, most people cannot imagine what it's like until they live with one.

I remember when I was first looking into getting a sphynx, I'd read all these posts and blogs by sphynx owners going on and on about how great sphynx cats are...and at the time I thought these people were all crazy! I then had to see for myself what was so special about these cats! Of course, now that I have one, I now see what the fuss was all about...LOL!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Me Too! I talk to Kramer more than most people talk to their best friend! Anytime I go somewhere I look for stuff Kramer would "like" LOL!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've been having some bad bouts of depression lately and everyone keeps tellling me I need to get out of the house when they hear I want to stay home with Meecho. I don't think they really understand that the only time I don't feel depressed is when I am with Meecho or thinking about her. Since I took friday off to make this four day weekend for me all I've beening thinking about is going out with her. We have a big day either today or tomorrow. Car's packed up and new dress is purchased I'm so excited I keeping bouncing up and down. As much as I love going out with her and she loves going out too, I do get a kick out of all the attention she gets. It can get scary and annoying like the last time she drew a crowd and there were camera's and flashes going off, but I love the fact that so many people are fascinated with her. I think the thing I love the most is so many people are asking questions about her and it's a way for me to talk about her without people thinking I'm be overly obsessive about her. They are actually meeting her and feeling her and seeing that she isn't an ordinary cat and needs more work and attention. I've had people actually tell me after meeting her that it's like have a baby all the time. It's refreshing that others see it too, makes all the nasty comments from friends and coworkers seem like nothing. Well until I go back to work and have to hear it again :Laugh:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with all of you, and I know you all experience the same feelings I have. Although I do not have a "human child", I can honestly say the love I have for Stella is the same you would have for a baby. It's amazing how quickly motherly instincts came into play when Stella owned me. Before Stella came into my life, I remember telling one coworker about Sphynx cats and the amount of interest I had for them. She passed the word along and others began their unnecessary comments: "They look like swine" "Why in the world would you want one?" "I guess someone's gotta love them".

I stood my ground of course. :BigSmile: I like what my dad says about kids. Instead of saying "Kids aren't right for everyone", he likes to say "Not everyone is right for kids." I feel the same about a sphynx. Not everyone is right for a sphynx cat. For everyone who would rather provide insults than appraisal, they're just not right for one (I guess you could say they're not worthy of one :LOL: ).

Although only one sphynx owns me (along with her tabby sister), I have something to say to those who ask "Are you going to be a crazy cat lady?" No. I'm not going to be a crazy cat lady. I'm just going to be a lady who has crazy cats.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I loved reading all these posts because I'm obsessed and am still one month away from bringing my kitty home! The waiting has been so hard and I feel like a mother who is expecting. I keep fighting the urge to start buying products I'm going to need online. It's like I'm "nesting" or something. I know I'm going to be so obsessed too - my boyfriend is going to have to deal with it! Because once the kitty is here she's getting all my love and attention. :BigSmile: :LOL:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey Kaliee, I'm the same way with Butterball. The last couple of years haven't been to kind to me but Butterball always puts a smile on my face. No matter how down I get.

I too talk with him. I ask him questions. He usually just looks puzzled. But he's started to know a few words. Butterball has a thing about chasing bugs. I say "get it" and he gets into war mode. He particularly loves flies.

Pbinky

Banned
I've had Pbinky since Feb 09 and Skinner since Aug 09. I wonder now how i'll ever be able to leave my boys in the care of someone else in case i have to go away some where. I'm pretty sure i'll never go on vacation again unless the boys can come with me! I'm engaged now and plan on getting married sometime next spring/summer. My fiance and i are already planning our honeymoon at a rented cottage by a pretty lake somewhere around home..... so the cats can come :Smile:
He knows better than to suggest we jump on a plane somewhere.....
I'm obsessed and i don't care what anyone says!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've had Pbinky since Feb 09 and Skinner since Aug 09. I wonder now how i'll ever be able to leave my boys in the care of someone else in case i have to go away some where. I'm pretty sure i'll never go on vacation again unless the boys can come with me! I'm engaged now and plan on getting married sometime next spring/summer. My fiance and i are already planning our honeymoon at a rented cottage by a pretty lake somewhere around home..... so the cats can come :Smile:
He knows better than to suggest we jump on a plane somewhere.....
I'm obsessed and i don't care what anyone says!

Congrats Pbinky! I understand the feeling about leaving them behind with someone else. When we went to Florida this past March, I couldn't stand the thought of leaving her behind. My brother and his (now) wife were getting married down there. It was a vacation/small wedding. Anyway, I was afraid of something happening to her down there. At the last minute, I decided to ask the breeder if she wouldn't mind taking care of her while we were gone. It was so hard taking her there! She knew something was up, and her cries sounded different. I started to get emotional on the ride up there. I kept telling my boyfriend "No, we're taking her with us! I just won't go out to eat with the family, and I don't need to stroll the shops down there." My little sister already cried before I took her there. She was in good care, though! Not sure if I would do that again. . . missed her too much.

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am definaltely OBSESSED with my little Sphynx Mickey-With this Beautiful breed!..Theyjust dont know what is like to have a sphynx! They are just too perfect!..I am looking at Mickey right now and I just want to kiss those wrinkles! LOL!

My 4 year old daughter is OBSESSED TOO! LOL! I had to take Mickey to her school because she wanted him to be there on her first day of school! (Pre-k!) It was so funny! She was calling him little brother!! :BigSmile:

Already thinking of getting another Sphynx!!:LOL:

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
don't feel bad everyone i know says the same thing about me in fact i'm known as the crazy cat lady that has three really ugly naked cats :Dizzy: but i don't mind, i love them and i will continue to be a crazy cat lady :LOL:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey Kaliee, I'm the same way with Butterball. The last couple of years haven't been to kind to me but Butterball always puts a smile on my face. No matter how down I get.

I too talk with him. I ask him questions. He usually just looks puzzled. But he's started to know a few words. Butterball has a thing about chasing bugs. I say "get it" and he gets into war mode. He particularly loves flies.

I always have long conversations with Meecho while I'm getting ready for work and when I get home :Laugh: I have no idea what she is saying but I think she likes the fact that I acknowledge her and make an attempt to understand. What I wouldn't give to really understand her though. She's probably telling me about how many times she licked her butt and then bit the dog and then licked her butt again :LOL:

I will never forget the day when someone at work asked me if I thought Meecho was my child. I answered her truthfully and said she was. I need to take care of her just like someone would take care of a baby. She then looked at me with a face full of condemnation and said...You don't think you actually gave birth to it do you? I mean what did she expect me to say, yes I popped a cat out of me?!?!?! :Angry:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She then looked at me with a face full of condemnation and said...You don't think you actually gave birth to it do you? I mean what did she expect me to say, yes I popped a cat out of me?!?!?! :Angry:

Kallie, I can't believe your coworker had the nerve to ask you that question! Some people are just really stupid. :Shok:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
People that aren't animal people don't get it... People always say that I'm nuts with my pets... I just say they are my therapy to keep me from wanting to kill idiots in the world! Lol.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I could not imagine having A home with no pets, the keep things going, and make you feel happy when you are down! I have A great friend that live A few houses down and we take turns watching each others pets when we are away:ThumbsUp: She is so good and treats them better that me sometimes, the dog always puts on A few pounds when we are gone! She is so good she even buried one of our dogs that died when we where away:Cry: The down side is that we can not go away together because there would be no one home with the pets.

Back