Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Oddest things your Sphynx has been mistaken for?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
A kangaroo? Never heard that before. Once somebody thought my boy Toa was a piggy. Well I must say he eats like a piggy and gets dirty like a piggy. And hangs in my hoody like a kangaroo. So maybe those people are right after all;-)

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've gotten dog and rat.

I had just gotten Toothless when I took her to see my mom at work; and there was woman walking down the road with her child in a stroller. Now to set the stage this women was not very well kempt and her child was in shambles. Sticky and dirty with green slime all over his face!
I got a little closer to her and she sneered at at me (I've never met this women before in my life) and in a snide voice proceeds to ask me "oh my god what is that!"

I stayed calmed and very happily let her know it was a kitten.
I got another snide sneering "that is the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

NOW I'M MAD

I again very calming looked from her to her child and back again and in my best sugary sweet voice let her know that "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Well she didn't like that very much she got all puffed up and started blustering " ugh well I never ..."
That was as far as I let her get before interjecting my " ... never think before you speak; that's quite clear"

Then I strolled past her and into my moms building with her still flopping her mouth open and closed like a cod fish!!

and Toothless was the cutest dang kitten ever!!

Beckinboots

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I haven't had anything from people yet but my phone is convinced that Rankle is food! Point its camera at fur babies and it says 'cat' or 'dog' depending on what they are, and it recognises people with 'portait'. But poor little Rankle remains "food' no matter if he's wearing clothes or is as naked as the day he was born. This is the reason for one of his many nicknames being Chicken Cat because my husband says he looks like a plucked chicken.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The best I’ve heard is “is that like, a bald chihuahua??” With a look of horror!

I took Rosie in to work at the hospice I was working at one day. All the patients loved her and oohed and ahhed over how precious she was. But one staff member took one look at Rosie, shrieked and ran screaming down the hallway “get that bald rat away from me”!!! Poor Rosie.

Staceyxxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
People are crazy, the popular one I get is, she is a sick cat or a rat, then I always say no she’s a cat and they make a distorted face at me, then I say rats are nice thou! I have been behaving myself now days as when I first got her i Used to be very rude :ROFLMAO: to people that didn’t like the look of her, by insulting them and my hubby gave me in trouble! Xxx

Last edited:

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab ive had a lot of chicken jokes from people. Countless raw chicken photos sent to my inbox from those who think they are being funny and original! It is kind of comical the similarity, though I’m never going to want to snuggle and blow raspberries on a raw chicken!

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I say, “She’s a cat,” people ask, “Are you sure? Looks like a dog.” Why is it people think she’s a dog? Sphynx aren’t shaped like dogs. Is it the ears? But when they spend a little time with her, they warm to her because she’s so sweet.

BTW-Toothless was an adorable kitten!

CathyO

Lairian
“Inside Out Chicken”. “What is IT?”. “What a beautiful puppy!” Verbalized comments from strangers so far have been all positive with few exceptions of uncomfortable stares from others. Probably coz Sphynxes in my area are more common.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cleo was called a pit bull once. She has been my Sphynx Ambassador since we got her, and we get a lot of negative comments when people see her and Marcus out in their cute harnesses and strollers. But when we stop and talk to people, usually the comments turn into what a pretty face Cleo has, how gorgeous her eyes are, and how neat Marcus’ big ears are. When we show them the Mickey Mouse spot on Marcus’ back, everyone just loves it.
Except for one crazy man, who was sure that we were responsible for spreading cat allergens everywhere, our Ambassadors have won everyone over.